Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2010, 05:00 PM

12,924 posts, read 18,765,744 times

Advertisements

So, it's not my imagination that a lot of people on these forums are saying they're moving to Columbia. The MSA population figures released a week or so ago have Columbia in the top 25 MSAs for the greatest positive migration both domestic and international.

Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2009-comp-chg.html - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-31-2010, 06:27 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Greenville County once again gained more people the past year than any other county in the state. Their population also topped 450,000.

Old 04-01-2010, 05:19 AM

Never mind that the downtown Columbia is up against the Congaree river with Lexington County starting on the opposite riverbank. This is the Columbia forum, and the geography of Columbia is why I was talking about MSAs and not counties.

Old 04-01-2010, 07:06 PM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Actually, looking at the numbers on the forums Charleston is first followed closely by Greenville. Not bad for a place with no government, large college, or tourism to help it grow or gain popularity.

Old 04-02-2010, 05:18 AM

MSA population growth (number of people, not growth percentage) in South Carolina From July 1, 2008 to July 1, 2009: Columbia 12,172; Charleston 11, 997; Greenville 9,519; Spartanburg 6,276, Myrtle Beach 5,078; Anderson 1,964. I just copied these numbers straight off of my printout from the attached Census Bureau report.

Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2009-pop-chg.html - broken link)

It's ok; it's not the end of the world that Columbia gained more than any other MSA in the state. To talk about county growth in Columbia's case makes no sense because, as I stated before and have stated so many times, Lexington County starts on the opposite riverbank from downtown Columbia. Lexington is not nearly as large as Spartanburg or Anderson. If there were no Columbia, Lexington County would be very rural and would most likely be losing people. If there were no Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson would still each be an MSA.

Old 04-02-2010, 07:34 AM

5,491 posts, read 8,324,870 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbiadata View Post
MSA population growth (number of people, not growth percentage) in South Carolina From July 1, 2008 to July 1, 2009: Columbia 12,172; Charleston 11, 997; Greenville 9,519; Spartanburg 6,276, Myrtle Beach 5,078; Anderson 1,964. I just copied these numbers straight off of my printout from the attached Census Bureau report.

Population Estimates (http://www.census.gov/popest/metro/CBSA-est2009-pop-chg.html - broken link)

It's ok; it's not the end of the world that Columbia gained more than any other MSA in the state. To talk about county growth in Columbia's case makes no sense because, as I stated before and have stated so many times, Lexington County starts on the opposite riverbank from downtown Columbia. Lexington is not nearly as large as Spartanburg or Anderson. If there were no Columbia, Lexington County would be very rural and would most likely be losing people. If there were no Greenville, Spartanburg and Anderson would still each be an MSA.
Greenville msa was 624,715 July 1 2008 and 639,617 on July 1 2009! I'm not a math wiz, but that's over 14k+! Greenville county grew at almost 9k by itself! And more in 2008. So are telling me a county can outgrow its msa? Hmmm? Check county estimates for 2008 and 2009 and tell me how that makes sense? It doesn't. There is a dead cat somewhere.

Old 04-02-2010, 08:07 AM

435 posts, read 1,530,430 times
Guys - we need to compare apples and oranges as much as possible. Compare the Greenville MSA to the Columbia MSA - that's about the only fair comparison. To single out Greenville vs. Richland Counties is an unfair comparison - Greenville County has the vast majority of the the Greenville MSA's suburban growth, whereas Columbia's is spread out over two counties - that's an accident of geography and not anyone's "fault". To leave out Lexington County in the analysis is sloppy.

One problem with the upstate is that MSA definititions seem to be more fluid between census periods, especially since there are lot more larger towns & cities that can be put together or pulled apart in different ways. Is it the Greenville MSA? The Greenville-Anderson MSA? The Greenville-Spartanburgh MSA? The I-85 corridor in the upstate has a lot of urban areas strung out along it, and so putting together MSA boundaries seems a bit more arbitrary than the Midlands, where there is a clear-cut central core. More outlying counties have been added recently (Fairfield, Kershaw, Calhoun, etc.), but the MSA is otherwise relatively stable boundary-wise. This is not to take away anything from Greenville as a city, county, or MSA, but just the reality of political and geographic boundaries.

Old 04-02-2010, 01:51 PM

5,593 posts, read 15,381,952 times
Based on the data shared above, Greenville and Spartanburg counties alone gained more than the entire Columbia MSA.

Regional comparisons aside, I do not doubt the potential magnetism of our state's largest metropolitan areas. Each has experienced steady growth for more than a decade, including transplants from many other parts of the nation. Charleston has been a magnet city for quite a while thanks to its rich history and growing tourism industry. Greenville has steadily built a positive reputation by capitalizing on its attractive location and history of solid international business investment. Columbia has similarly built a positive reputation with the help of its large government partner and state university.

Let's face it, this state is fortunate to be located centrally between the colder North and hotter South. Additionally, many people have begun to look in this area because of higher taxes in the North and growing traffic in the South.

Old 04-02-2010, 03:55 PM

737 posts, read 1,654,831 times
Why is it whenever Columbia outshines Greenville for whatever reason (population growth, income, education, etc...) do we have Greenville boosters tagging on information that isn't apart of the original topic? If you want to discuss the gain or size of Greenville's CSA, MSA, or county population discuss it in your own forum, stop hijacking the threads boosting your area. Are you guys scared that someone from outside of SC forum will actually read the discussion and accept what the rest of the nation has for the past 10 years now? Get over it Columbia at least according to the United States Government is the state's largest MSA. It's unbelievable.

Old 04-02-2010, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyliner View Post
Based on the data shared above, Greenville and Spartanburg counties alone gained more than the entire Columbia MSA.

Regional comparisons aside, I do not doubt the potential magnetism of our state's largest metropolitan areas. Each has experienced steady growth for more than a decade, including transplants from many other parts of the nation. Charleston has been a magnet city for quite a while thanks to its rich history and growing tourism industry. Greenville has steadily built a positive reputation by capitalizing on its attractive location and history of solid international business investment. Columbia has similarly built a positive reputation with the help of its large government partner and state university.

Let's face it, this state is fortunate to be located centrally between the colder North and hotter South. Additionally, many people have begun to look in this area because of higher taxes in the North and growing traffic in the South.
So one MSA plus the vast majority of a second MSA gained more people than the Columbia MSA. I started this topic because the Census Bureau just released their latest MSA figures. Counties bore me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area