Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2019, 01:45 AM

2,133 posts, read 2,274,629 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonCoombes View Post
I said the same thing, I think what we’re seeing lately is the beginning of a Columbia boom. And that means everything, beginning of a housing boom, a restaurant boom, a tourist boom, a construction boom, and employment. Maybe even more professional white collar jobs. Maybe not at the pace of Charleston, but definitely maybe the pace of Greenville. Let’s not forget, that by 2050 the state expects the Cola MSA to be bigger population wise than Greenville, but smaller than Myrtle Beach and Charleston. And we’ll also have the third smallest CSA. But that’s only if we or no other metros add more counties, which we’ll def add Sumter, Newberry, and Orangeburg counties to the MSA by then. Things are definitely looking up.
I hope so, sooner or later it’s going to be Columbia’s “time”. I just don’t think it’d be healthy to see this ultra rapid growth some cities are seeing where the infrastructure can’t keep up and the buildings, design and planning are rushed. In other words, I’d hate to see Columbia grow as fast as say, Austin.

So much can change by 2050 and of course it depends highly on what counties are added (and taken away, let’s not forget that can happen, i.e. Brunswick county from Wilmington, NC MSA). I find it hard to believe Myrtle Beach MSA could pass Columbia, even if they added Marion county, kept the current counties and the current growth.

We’ll find out more soon with the 2020 census but Newberry will be the first to be added if anything, then Orangeburg. Sumter is more of a wildcard but you never know. Another poster on the South Carolina forum has said you’ll never see any development stretch from about Hopkins in Richland county to highway 261 because of the difficulty in topography and terrain. It’s all lowland and swampland.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
I'm still upset they about to spend all this money on roads but nothing on transit. Or even HOV Lanes which buses could of used. But no the people at the DOT are still stuck in the 1970s mindset of cars cars cars only.

We need more transit oriented projects not road just road widening projects that's gonna get clogged again in 10 years.
I agree in that by the time they finish this thing, it will be close to capacity (and we’ll have people walking on Mars or perhaps colonies on Deimos or Phobos by then).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2019, 06:56 AM

421 posts, read 574,495 times
So harbison Blvd is losing; Applebee’s, hooters and Best Buy?

Wonder why Best Buy didn’t move into the old vacant toys r us last year. I’m sure they knew this was a possibility

Old 10-30-2019, 07:12 AM

1,124 posts, read 926,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post

Wonder why Best Buy didn’t move into the old vacant toys r us last year. I’m sure they knew this was a possibility
From my understanding, Applebee’s and Hooters are gone, but the new alignment of the on ramp will literally skirt right by the building. But even if Best Buy does end up needing to leave, there are two vacant anchors in Harbison Court (where Nordstrom Rack and Petco are) and two vacant anchors in Columbiana Station II (the movie theater and Dicks). And Columbiana has the old which wich location that either hooters or Applebee’s could move to. Plenty of space in Harbison. There’s still a strip for new development available currently on Columbiana Drive. And there’s that patch by Pawmetto Lifeline on Bower Parkway. Harbison, while running low in forested, new construction lots, is not yet entirely out of space. And even if it ever does become truly 100% filled. Fill in some of the giant parking lots, add some garages, and boom, problem solved. Especially the mall parking lot, fill that in.

Old 10-30-2019, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robertsm76 View Post

That’s surprising the Applebee’s is closing; it did decent business from what I’ve heard. I’m still surprised Hooters was open this long.. Both bad locations.

I think that Best Buy was on borrowed time anyway. Not sure if it would have been worth the effort I wouldn’t think, but I’m just guessing.

Old 10-30-2019, 11:06 AM

518 posts, read 436,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smithgn View Post
That’s surprising the Applebee’s is closing; it did decent business from what I’ve heard. I’m still surprised Hooters was open this long.. Both bad locations.

I think that Best Buy was on borrowed time anyway. Not sure if it would have been worth the effort I wouldn’t think, but I’m just guessing.
Both of the Hooters Locations in Columbia were formally a chain Micro-Brewery. I forget the name now. It didn't last long.

The other location is pretty bad too.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:26 PM

306 posts, read 393,645 times
Quote:

They’re not closing based on business, but due to the Carolina Crossroads project. These businesses will be purchased and demolished as part of the ROW acquisition.

Old 10-30-2019, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DemanoRock View Post
Both of the Hooters Locations in Columbia were formally a chain Micro-Brewery. I forget the name now. It didn't last long.

The other location is pretty bad too.
It was called Hops. Their steak was actually pretty good.

Old 10-30-2019, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by woffgrad13 View Post
They’re not closing based on business, but due to the Carolina Crossroads project. These businesses will be purchased and demolished as part of the ROW acquisition.
Oh I feel stupid. I didn’t manage to read the thread title before posting haha. Makes sense now...

Old 10-30-2019, 09:10 PM

Quote:
Oh I feel stupid. I didn’t manage to read the thread title before posting haha. Makes sense now...
No need to feel stupid! It’s easy to do!

Old 10-31-2019, 04:47 PM

421 posts, read 574,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by woffgrad13 View Post
It was called Hops. Their steak was actually pretty good.
What happened to Hops? Was that the company based in Charleston that went belly up due to a hurricane ? They may had been Charleston Crab House on Harbison now that I think about it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area