Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-02-2015, 05:49 AM

935 posts, read 1,649,412 times

Advertisements

Yes, I agree that the lease requirements directly tie into student rental.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-02-2015, 07:00 AM

678 posts, read 799,880 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burr View Post
Yes, I agree that the lease requirements directly tie into student rental.
Funny now that you mention it I remember back when I was in college none of the college apartments had early liquidation clauses. So if you moved you had to find a sublessee or trust them to mitigate their losses. And many of them you could not trust to do that... In fact, I remember one case when my friend who was living at university commons in cayce wanted to move out at the end of December because he had graduated. He went out and found a tenant, showed the prospective tenant his place then the complex ended up trying to steal the tenant to place him in a vacant apartment. They had given everyone a deadline who wanted to move out in December so much time to find a sublessee and they said he was "too late" when he provided someone to take over his apartment so this new person was "fair game" to them to use for their own purposes. They thought they could do this because in their lease they stated that they had to "approve" any sublessee. Well, my friend's attorney argued that they approved him when they let him move into the vacant apartment. Needless to say his attorney got things resolved and he was able to move out without paying any more rent and without hurting his credit.

Personally I would never want to rent anywhere without a specific clause in the contract for what happens when you want to terminate early.

Last edited by Bouje2; 09-02-2015 at 08:09 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 07:54 AM

56 posts, read 179,640 times
Wow...that is a scary story Bouje2! Perhaps I'm just better off renting from an apartment complex - they more often have an out. I don't want to add insult to injury in a catastrophic situation by wrecking my credit rating too.

Last edited by Megabit15; 09-02-2015 at 09:21 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 09:12 AM

Did your friend get back the deposit after breaking lease ? I kinda doubt it.

Old 09-02-2015, 09:27 AM

So this is cool. My priest knows a guy who has an upcoming 2BR townhome for rent - not listed yet. I looked at it last night, and it's in a nice part of Cayce: quiet neighborhood surrounded by lovely houses, not much road noise, walking distance to the River Walk & Church, other parishioners as neighbors, and ~20 commute to work. Because my priest & landlord know one another, it's 600 per month. How do you like that?!

Old 09-02-2015, 09:48 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,031,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megabit15 View Post
So this is cool. My priest knows a guy who has an upcoming 2BR townhome for rent - not listed yet. I looked at it last night, and it's in a nice part of Cayce: quiet neighborhood surrounded by lovely houses, not much road noise, walking distance to the River Walk & Church, other parishioners as neighbors, and ~20 commute to work. Because my priest & landlord know one another, it's 600 per month. How do you like that?!
I would sign on the dotted line as quickly as possible! Sounds like a great deal.

The nicer neighborhoods of Cayce are convenient to a lot of what Columbia has to offer.

Old 09-02-2015, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Did your friend get back the deposit after breaking lease ? I kinda doubt it.
His attorney argued successfully that he didn't break the lease. The complex required all sublessees to be approved by management. When my friend found the tenant and they placed the tenant in an apartment, he argued that they "approved" him, even though he ended up not being placed in my friend's apartment. This seems only fair anyway since my friend was the one who did the advertising and found the guy.

They had taken a more specific view of what it meant to " approve " someone. They tried to say that they the person had to be approved for that particular apartment. They dropped it though and honestly I'm not even sure he had a deposit on the apartment since his parents' credit was good. But getting out of the last 6 months of the lease legally without his or his family's credit being dinged was worth it in any case.

Last edited by Bouje2; 09-02-2015 at 10:16 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 10:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCxpBrussel View Post
I would sign on the dotted line as quickly as possible! Sounds like a great deal.
Done!!

Old 09-02-2015, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bouje2 View Post
But getting out of the last 6 months of the lease legally without his or his family's credit being dinged was worth it in any case.
just for sake of management, it seems a perfect argument for signing a lease. Why sign a lease knowing of an early departure ? Tenant shoulda worked for a 6 mth lease, no ?

... and I imagine management is allowed several of these losses per year anyway.

Last edited by burr; 09-02-2015 at 10:38 AM..

Old 09-02-2015, 12:00 PM

Quote:
just for sake of management, it seems a perfect argument for signing a lease. Why sign a lease knowing of an early departure ? Tenant shoulda worked for a 6 mth lease, no ?

... and I imagine management is allowed several of these losses per year anyway.
University commons did not offer 6 month leases. They did allow subleasing to exit a contract so that's why you would sign a year lease hoping you could find someone to take it over who was "approved."
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area