Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:54 PM

37 posts, read 111,851 times

Advertisements

Builders needs to make money. As the land cost increase over the years, building materials tripled in the last 4-5 years ( I personal managed and remodeled properties), builders had to think of all the ways to cut their cost. The following ways are chosen to cut cost: 1. Cut the lot smaller, so they can build more homes. 2. They use vinyl to build homes instead of bricks. 3. Slab homes instread of crawl space for foundation........ Even for paint, different kinds of quality of paint makes a big difference, same 5 gallon paint can be range from $30 to $200. Someone comments on a well known builders here before, as far as I know, some of their HIGH END homes( $500K) are good quality, but if you buy their low end homes ( around $100K), then good luck.

Find a agent that you feel comfortable, knows about home building possible will be the best choice for you.

Builders are normally busy with all kinds of stuff. Returning phone call ontime possible is a tough chore for them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2008, 11:48 AM

30 posts, read 123,158 times
Hi all

Thanks for all the wonderful responses-always a great source of information here.

To clarify a few things:

1. Brandon (realtor here): Indeed have a good realtor. That being said, I'm a firm believer of doing my own homework, knowledge is power. With due respect, maybe, people aren't looking for a realtor (such as yourself here), they're looking for people just like themselves who have made the move already or reponses from kind southerners to get them through.

2. I live here already. We've bought a home (temporarily) while we look for our perm. home. And, yes, I need guidance (smile).

3. The experience i've had with yeap, DR... has been horrific at best. Not a stitch of insulation in bedrooms outside walls nor in attic! So, nope not purchasing from them ever again. i'm on them, it's like pulling teeth and you're treated as if they're doing you a favor (chuckle). So, my questions, surrounding 'what, who, why and where's regarding builders, homes and area are quite a serious concern for my family.

4. As far as builders having to 'cut' back on lot sizes, paint, etc. I know the 'game', and it's terrible! The one's who actually water down paints, skimp on payments to their subs, or bid out for such 'cheap' work they wind up with seriously substandard job by subs that haven't a clue and shouldn't even be in the houses in the first place, skip on insullation (haha), skip on heating and a/c vents or drywall over them :0, or leave the home without working outlets here or there, and the like have made terrible decisions. In the end, they have lost a great deal of money from us for future location within this fine county. So, shame on them. They cut back then, now they'll lose in the end. Not to mention word of mouth is a very powerful thing good or not so good.

5. I would like to thank everyone who has and continues to help on here, it is very much appreciated and hope all the info will continue

thanks again

Have a great day

Old 03-14-2008, 10:28 AM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Can'tWaitToMove View Post
Hi all

1. Brandon (realtor here): Indeed have a good realtor. That being said, I'm a firm believer of doing my own homework, knowledge is power. With due respect, maybe, people aren't looking for a realtor (such as yourself here), they're looking for people just like themselves who have made the move already or reponses from kind southerners to get them through.
Perhaps, but I answered your question first then gave you that advice. If you're implying that I'm not kind or helpful then you're sadly mistaken and I encourage you to look at my post history. Hiring a good Realtor is the best advice on the entire post because you gave no indication either way nor do I advertise myself on here. As a matter of fact, I've recommended names of good agents with companies other than my own at times. Many buyers make the mistake of going to the builders agent directly without representation. Anyway, I'm glad you have a good Realtor and best of luck on your house hunt. I just wanted to respond to what I perceived as a jab at me. Most of my posting on here is done in the RE forum but I like to local forum also.

Old 04-15-2008, 08:18 PM

30 posts, read 123,158 times
Hi Brandon:

I sincerely apologize for I didn't mean any negative undertone in my response to you above. Blogging sometimes can lose it's meaning on these things

I simply was trying to redirect back to the where's, why's, what builders are good and original lot question that was posted initially on this thread that doesn't seem to be answered directly. I am still seeking this information myself. Personal expereinces far outweigh direct builder contact, etc. imho

Your information has been very welcoming and very much appreciated at all times. And, yes you do come across as kind and helpful. I was merely seeking information from 'real' experiences with people that have dealt with purchasing their homes and from what builder(s).

I do hope this clears up any misunderstanding.

Have a wonderful day

Old 04-15-2008, 09:18 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,985,795 times
I had forgot about this post. What price are you looking at? It will make a difference in terms of the who, where, what you can buy. For instance, Mungo is a wonderful local builder but they are more of a track builder. Then the same company owns Sovereign which their high end builder. They build very different products but it's the same builder. There are more custom type builders. It's a very broad question and it would help to narrow down with some detailed info. Best of luck with your search.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area