Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-15-2017, 08:43 AM

746 posts, read 750,176 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Growingup15 View Post
So i finally went to downtown after 2 months of not leaving the house. And wow the Brookland development area Holy crap it looks huge. I never noticed how much land was there and more of downtown Columbia i can see now from the stop lights at State and Meeting St.i can't wait for all this to be finished in a couple years it's gonna be a staple in this area.

I give West Columbia props for the fact they got this off the grown faster then a lot of the projects in downtown Columbia.
To be fair, Brookland in West Columbia and Sola Station in Columbia were both moving at a similar pace. Both development have had ground breaking, and dirt is being moved at both sites. They are both about $60 million projects, and should both be finished in about 2 years.

The Beach Company (Charleston-Based) and Estates & Company (Columbia-Based) seem to always follow through with their plans. It's when Greenville-based developers get involved when we seem to have issues (Kline City Center and Bull Street). Come to think of it, Greenville developers seem to want the city to pay for parking ramps and such more than others.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-15-2017, 10:21 AM

34 posts, read 53,848 times
The student housing tower at Assembly and Pendleton is also moving dirt as of yesterday.

Old 02-15-2017, 10:23 AM

1,155 posts, read 959,704 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wwmiv View Post
The student housing tower at Assembly and Pendleton is also moving dirt as of yesterday.
That site been moving dirt for months now

Old 02-15-2017, 03:38 PM

34 posts, read 53,848 times
Quote:
That site been moving dirt for months now
Really? I seriously haven't noticed.

Old 03-03-2017, 04:57 AM

1,155 posts, read 959,704 times
Oh boy People are back to complaining again. Mill Village Residents Call New Development a "Logistical Nightmare" | wltx.com

( Sent from WLTX 19 )

Old 03-03-2017, 08:08 AM

8,250 posts, read 13,382,547 times
Quote:
Oh boy People are back to complaining again. Mill Village Residents Call New Development a "Logistical Nightmare" | wltx.com

( Sent from WLTX 19 )

Figures.. my old Middle School Teacher's children probably still live in the area and inherited their mothers home and her opposition to anything "big city" or "urban".. so they are continuing their opposition to the changes to New Brookland...West Columbia might as well establish a hot line for this project.. because it will get plenty of callers...and likely a City Council candidate will run for office from this area and try to stop and future development of New Brookland....

Old 03-03-2017, 08:19 AM

1,802 posts, read 2,034,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodlands View Post
Figures.. my old Middle School Teacher's children probably still live in the area and inherited their mothers home and her opposition to anything "big city" or "urban".. so they are continuing their opposition to the changes to New Brookland...West Columbia might as well establish a hot line for this project.. because it will get plenty of callers...and likely a City Council candidate will run for office from this area and try to stop and future development of New Brookland....
That's likely true and something I can't understand. The same people who always complain about government meddling and interference and are the ones who want to use government to stop anything they don't like. The definition of "for me, but not for thee."

Old 03-03-2017, 09:46 AM

1,101 posts, read 1,339,442 times
Guys the development will not stalled at this point .
What's interesting is these people that live around with the development is happening will be able to sell their houses at a pretty decent price to a developer to develop more commercial property next to it. Those houses right behind it actually look ripe for demolition right now.

Old 03-03-2017, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofCola View Post
Guys the development will not stalled at this point .
What's interesting is these people that live around with the development is happening will be able to sell their houses at a pretty decent price to a developer to develop more commercial property next to it. Those houses right behind it actually look ripe for demolition right now.

I agree it wont stall but you wonder what the impact will be on any future development in this area. This is probably one of the largest developments in old West Columbia..(i.e Lexington Medical Center expansion is probably the largest if its in the City Limits) If West Columbia gets a reputation as being a NIMBY city it could hurt the City image when it comes to some (not all) development.

Old 03-08-2017, 08:08 AM

Default And it continues.....

Brookland.....

Why residents of one Midlands neighborhood are concerned about their new neighbor | The State
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area