Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2016, 04:45 PM

8,793 posts, read 8,169,514 times

Advertisements

Is there anyone here who has lived in multiple states across the country?

Have you notice how bad the supermarkets here are complained to other cities or regions?

Here when I go to the deli, it is a small section that has a variety of maybe 8 types of specialty breads, two or thee types of salads; maybe there is a hot bar with 3 different sides to match up with the 3 different mains (baked chicken, fried chicken, and maybe a meatloaf or a pot roast. Then in the deli glass there may be 10 varieties of meats and cheeses. The vegetable section is equally sparse with only the basics?

When I was in Wisconsin, there was a store named "Festival Foods," they had about 10 varieties of salad sitting in the deli - always fully stocked. And when I say varieties, I don't mean a coleslaw, a pasta, a red potato salad, a "southern" potato, and 11 other types of potato salad. The cheese varieties number into 20's. Hot meals? Every day they cook enough different full meals that you could shop for a month of dinners and not repeat. Breads sit in cubbies, not only by type, but also by size, you can buy French bread or a sour dough for the family, or one stick by yourself.

When I was in Bellingham WA, there was a store named Haggens where people actually went for lunch or dinner and sat there as if it were a sit-in/take out restaurant. On the hot bar was three or four "Chinese menu items", pre-made sandwiches, individual pizza's, a variety of pasta dishes. Again, you could buy a variety of salads and multiple meat (a selection of 5-10) meals.

When I was in San Francisco, I went into a supermarket and there was the vegetable section. But unlike ours - tucked into the corner of the store, the first five or six rows of the store were all vegetables. Foods from all over the world. Most of which I could not tell you what they were.

Even tiny towns like Wrightstown, WI had deli sections in their "Dick's Family Foods" supermarkets that would blow Columbia away. What's up with that!!!

I realize that Columbia, South Carolina is not "Metropolis", but how about a little more choice in foods.

Does anyone know of a well stocked deli, bakery, and prepared foods section of food here in this southern capital?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-26-2016, 05:46 PM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
blk

None that you mentioned are national chains. If you want what they offered, Whole Foods and or Earth Fare offers such in the Columbia area.

Old 10-26-2016, 05:57 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,569,739 times
The Gourmet Shop, DiPrato's, Whole Foods, Earthfare, Fresh Market. Where are you shopping? If it's Food Lion or Bi-Lo, there's your answer.

Old 10-26-2016, 06:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by johngolf View Post
blk

None that you mentioned are national chains. If you want what they offered, Whole Foods and or Earth Fare offers such in the Columbia area.
While I appreciate the input, I am not sure what difference being national makes. They are regional markets with excellent selection available. I would hope there was some local equivalent with equally good selection; without being ripped off by whole foods.

If they can do it in other parts of the country at a reasonable price, then why can't SC?

Old 10-26-2016, 06:05 PM

2,516 posts, read 1,698,043 times
What's "laking"?

Old 10-26-2016, 06:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joee5 View Post
What's "laking"?
Please read the OP.

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
The Gourmet Shop, DiPrato's, Whole Foods, Earthfare, Fresh Market. Where are you shopping? If it's Food Lion or Bi-Lo, there's your answer.
I am talking about regional supermarket chains (priced between Wal-Mart and Piggly-wiggly) with relatively good prices and huge variety - as good as or better than the places you have listed. I am looking for the same in SC, modest pricing with good variety.

I think it is hard to explain just how good some of those stores are compared to the best we have here - without you seeing it yourself.

http://greenbayconsumer.com/2011/06/...ervations.html

Last edited by blktoptrvl; 10-26-2016 at 06:42 PM..

Old 10-26-2016, 09:39 PM

1,802 posts, read 2,033,420 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Please read the OP.

I am talking about regional supermarket chains (priced between Wal-Mart and Piggly-wiggly) with relatively good prices and huge variety - as good as or better than the places you have listed. I am looking for the same in SC, modest pricing with good variety.

I think it is hard to explain just how good some of those stores are compared to the best we have here - without you seeing it yourself.

http://greenbayconsumer.com/2011/06/...ervations.html
Publix and Kroger are usually pretty good.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:09 AM

401 posts, read 379,821 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by blktoptrvl View Post
Is there anyone here who has lived in multiple states across the country?

Have you notice how bad the supermarkets here are complained to other cities or regions?

Here when I go to the deli, it is a small section that has a variety of maybe 8 types of specialty breads, two or thee types of salads; maybe there is a hot bar with 3 different sides to match up with the 3 different mains (baked chicken, fried chicken, and maybe a meatloaf or a pot roast. Then in the deli glass there may be 10 varieties of meats and cheeses. The vegetable section is equally sparse with only the basics?

When I was in Wisconsin, there was a store named "Festival Foods," they had about 10 varieties of salad sitting in the deli - always fully stocked. And when I say varieties, I don't mean a coleslaw, a pasta, a red potato salad, a "southern" potato, and 11 other types of potato salad. The cheese varieties number into 20's. Hot meals? Every day they cook enough different full meals that you could shop for a month of dinners and not repeat. Breads sit in cubbies, not only by type, but also by size, you can buy French bread or a sour dough for the family, or one stick by yourself.

When I was in Bellingham WA, there was a store named Haggens where people actually went for lunch or dinner and sat there as if it were a sit-in/take out restaurant. On the hot bar was three or four "Chinese menu items", pre-made sandwiches, individual pizza's, a variety of pasta dishes. Again, you could buy a variety of salads and multiple meat (a selection of 5-10) meals.

When I was in San Francisco, I went into a supermarket and there was the vegetable section. But unlike ours - tucked into the corner of the store, the first five or six rows of the store were all vegetables. Foods from all over the world. Most of which I could not tell you what they were.

Even tiny towns like Wrightstown, WI had deli sections in their "Dick's Family Foods" supermarkets that would blow Columbia away. What's up with that!!!

I realize that Columbia, South Carolina is not "Metropolis", but how about a little more choice in foods.

Does anyone know of a well stocked deli, bakery, and prepared foods section of food here in this southern capital?

The Lowes Foods that recently opened in Greer is amazing. I think you would find it to your liking. They are a smaller regional chain who focuses on local/gourmet items while also having all the staples and brands offered by the larger chains. I believe they are locating two stores in Lexington County within the next few years.

Old 10-27-2016, 07:34 AM

14,254 posts, read 14,754,235 times
One trend in many newer stores is a prepared food section for takeout or on premises consumption. I do not mean just the usual fried chicken crap most have but ones including 4 to 6 entree choices.

Many want Whole Foods, Earth Fare, services at WalMart prices. Sorry folks that is a business plan headed for disaster. You get what you pay for.

Old 10-27-2016, 08:41 AM

21,025 posts, read 27,270,970 times
Earth Fare and Whole Foods Market are specialty organic grocery stores. Most of their products are organically grown foods and environmentally sensitive products. Their prices are usually higher.

Kroger, Kroger Marketplace, Publix, Walmart Neighborhood Market, and Walmart Neighborhood Market are the dominant supermarkets and hypermarkets in Richland and Lexington counties. They have increased their availability of gourmet and organic foods and produces and are well priced. Supermarkets BI-LO, Food Lion, and Piggly Wiggly usually have higher prices and do not have much of a selection.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area