Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-01-2008, 12:50 PM

1,028 posts, read 3,082,881 times

Advertisements

So, I have been doing some browsing on realtor.com. and have seen some great homes that might interest me if I choose to move to Columbia from Birmingham, AL. I have gotten great input thus far, and was hoping that I might get a bit of insight into some of the neighborhoods. Here are a few of the places I saw that were appealing to me: Pine Brook subdivision in NE Columbia (Richland), Elmwood Park sudivision in Columbia city (Richland), Chestnut Hill subdivision in St. Andrews/Irmo (Richland), East Lake subdivision in SE Columbia (Richland), Coldstream subdivision in St. Andrews/Irmo (Lexington), Whitehall subdivision St. Andrews/Irmo (Lexington).

These are the things that are important to me: being close to supermarkets, restaurants, movie theaters, etc., being in a relatively low crime area of town (I know it exists everywhere, I just don't want my car stereo stolen within the first month of living there), not being too far off from the city (15 minutes or less), considering I will probably be working for a mental health agency, and being someplace where I can walk a dog or ride a bike (i.e. sidewalks, park, etc.). Any input is appreciated, and thanks in advance.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2008, 01:56 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
I'm not familiar with many of the suburban subdivisions you've listed, but Elmwood Park is an awesome turn-of-the-century in-town neighborhood. It is very convenient to The Vista/Downtown, Dutch Square and being close to I-126, it is convenient to Columbiana Centre, too.

Old 06-01-2008, 02:55 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Chestnut Hill-should fit your needs. Very large subdivision with 615 homes in it, nice amenities. Features variety of different homes and prices from 130's to 450's. Beazer built most of the homes but also have some KB, Wickersham, Mike Lowman Homes among others. Lit sidewalks and nature trails along with Broad River access here, great place to ride bikes/walk dogs.

Coldstream and Whitehall are very similar. Both are neighborhodds built in the 60's/70's primarily by Mungo. Both feature mostly brick home with some wood or vynil mixed in and larger lots. Both are a little closer in than Chestnut Hills and may be a better based on the limited info you provided on area.

East Lake subdivision in SE Columbia (Richland) is a Beazer community as well w/o the variety of Chestnut Hills. SE Columbia is a growing area but doesn't offer the the same choices in shopping, restaurants etc. as Irmo/ Harbsion

Pine Brook is in the Summit which is a HUGE subdivision. It is also very convenient to theatres, shopping, things to do. I think you'd probably like the locations of NE Columbia or Harbison/Irmo better than SE.

Elmwood Park is a really nice intown location with many different kinds of homes. Only real downside is that it's zoned for Columbia HS and most people prefer Lex/Richland 5, Richland 2, or Dreher HS.

Old 06-02-2008, 08:00 AM

7 posts, read 59,148 times
Key word theses communitys as there are a lot of blogs out there on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area