Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-30-2008, 08:32 AM

8,242 posts, read 13,360,755 times

Advertisements

I have to give Lexington County credit, they appear to be on the rise... Though I must admit, I would have preferred that SCAN stay downtown and applaud the City for their efforts to retain them. SCANA will provide a real boost to the south side of Cayce. As I understand it SCANA already owned that land? So, I guess the decision was to consolidate their offices under one roof? It does however; open up opportunities for the older highrises on Main Street to be rehabbed and remarketed for other uses or businesses. But, one could not help but wonder if another new tower downtown would have happened sooner rather than later had this space not come on the market. There was also some talk about the Veterans Adminstration leaving its perch on top of Finlay Park.. I don't know how far that has gotten though some with the City seem to think that if they left, they would move to grounds of the VA Hospital.. Again in death, there is life... if they move and that building was razed, that site should not have any problem in being redeveloped.

Is a new hockey arena to be built in Lexington County? I thought something was to go up either at the Airport or in Irmo? Lexington appears to be on the move away from being considered as a bedroom community for Columbia to actually developing its own destinations and internal attractions. The County and its major municipalities may have an easier time working together than Richland County and Columbia.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-30-2008, 12:43 PM

13 posts, read 40,077 times
Default Positive-Negative SCANA Move

I'm both sides of the fence when it comes to this move. Of course, the fact that they are moving from downtown and leaving lots of office space to be obtained isn't good for the downtown ecomony. SCANA has a good number of employees filling all but one floor of the Wachovia Building. I love to see the skyline build, but it isn't always smart to add things when you know you wouldn't turn a profit soon. Before the Merridian Tower (you might have to give me a exist number), but it had to have been a decade since another tower has been added to the Columbia skyline.

On the other side, it is nice that Cayce is getting the ball rolling when it comes to commericalized businesses to the area. This can begin the growth of research parks to the area. Of course with research park, comes nice houses and condos (and possible malls) that will bring a better living economy for the area. Also, buildilng Cayce could make Gaston the next Blythewood (building for the future). I've always eyed the Cayce area as a nice place to live, but I've just been waiting to see if it will blossom into anything. We'll have the see.

Old 06-30-2008, 01:47 PM

11,706 posts, read 24,794,766 times
Too bad the City of Greenville didn't try to keep Carolina First downtown and build a new highrise. They are building a new sprawling campus out near I-85 instead that will house the employees currently downtown when it's completed. You guys lost SCANA and we lost Carolina First. Makes no sense especially with the price of gas going through the roof. I would want to stay downtown and be able to walk everywhere not drive.

Old 06-30-2008, 04:43 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by g-man430 View Post
Too bad the City of Greenville didn't try to keep Carolina First downtown and build a new highrise. They are building a new sprawling campus out near I-85 instead that will house the employees currently downtown when it's completed. You guys lost SCANA and we lost Carolina First. Makes no sense especially with the price of gas going through the roof. I would want to stay downtown and be able to walk everywhere not drive.
Sometimes businesses do things that don't make any sense. Dense, urban development and good public transportation is the way out of the oil mess we're in, but the going is slow when everyone isn't on the same page.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area