Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-11-2009, 07:37 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,874,493 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYC1DAY View Post
I am just trying to let this person know what they are getting themselves into by moving here
No you aren't. Because if that were the case, you'd want to know something about the person's situation and preferences before "advising" them. They sound as though they're at a totally different place in life than you. I can pick that much up from the little they gave.

And one can be a socially liberal Republican.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-11-2009, 08:42 PM

806 posts, read 2,960,524 times
Quote:

Boring - No pro sports, no shopping except for cookie cutter strip malls with a wal mart and pic n pay, horrible restaurants, most of the people that live in these places are from there, no diversity, etc. Living in these places is the equivalent of living in Mayberry

Deep Southern - The way people dress, speak, attitude on life, etc is very outdated

Bible Belt - Welcome to the deep south. Get ready for being asked where you go to church and others will hold it against you if you dont go. There is one church and trailer for every person that lives here

No public transportation. Get use to the drive every lifestyle.

Also, I hope that you are open to being around people named bubba and seeing the reble flag.

You get the point.
I'm pretty sure both cities have better shopping than you'd think. How else do I buy Polo, Brooks Bros, and Robert Talbot? -- or are those brands too fancy for us "rednecks?"

Southern culture is laid back. Its about horseback riding, football games, family, hunting, food, fishing, outdoors, parties and dances, but I guess none of this is appealing to anyone.

Bible Belt? I'm not a Christian and I do not get any flack for not going to church, but I respect those that live the Christian lifestyle.

I'd rather drive my SUV or truck everyday than ride public transportation. How else would I carry my ATV/boat?

Old 04-11-2009, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I'd rather drive my SUV or truck everyday than ride public transportation. How else would I carry my ATV/boat?
But you're supposed to be too poor and unsophisticated to operate one of those fancy dinglebobbers.

Old 04-12-2009, 04:05 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
I understand that what is awful for me would be great for others. However, most people that come from the Philly metro will not think that Columbia or Augusta is great. And the OP probably will see things more in my eyes over yours and the other posters because most of the people posting in the columbia forum are form the area and think it is the best thing since sliced bread. Hell yes staying in the Philly metro without a job makes more sense to me. Pick up a job as a bartender, bell boy, etc and just make a living until you find something

I seriously doubt that this person will enjoy living in these towns if they are FROM NJ

To the OP - You have no idea what you are getting yourself into if you move to either. I have lived in Wrightstown NJ and Dover DE myself and I had a culture shock like no other

Both of these cities:

Boring - No pro sports, no shopping except for cookie cutter strip malls with a wal mart and pic n pay, horrible restaurants, most of the people that live in these places are from there, no diversity, etc. Living in these places is the equivalent of living in Mayberry

Deep Southern - The way people dress, speak, attitude on life, etc is very outdated

Bible Belt - Welcome to the deep south. Get ready for being asked where you go to church and others will hold it against you if you dont go. There is one church and trailer for every person that lives here

No public transportation. Get use to the drive every lifestyle.

Also, I hope that you are open to being around people named bubba and seeing the reble flag.

You get the point.
I am not a Columbia native and I have traveled extensively in this country and abroad, but what you describe is not the Columbia that I know and love. You may be describing an isolated rural area somewhere in South Carolina, but not here. There is plenty of shopping other than "cookie cutter" suburban strip malls. Have you ever shopped in Five Points, the Vista or the Devine Street corridor? There are plenty of cool, locally owned places in all 3 areas - you obviously live out in the suburbs somewhere - which, I hate to tell you, are similar whether you're in the NYC area or the Columbia area. Drive everywhere? I used to live in the Shandon area and I walked or biked almost everywhere. I think you need to get out of your suburban subdivision a little bit more and open your eyes.

Old 04-13-2009, 04:22 PM

92 posts, read 235,564 times
Well,I'm very content to be living here in the south and could't imagine ever relocating up North after all these years.But if this poster has got to make complaints,and discourage the OP from moving down here,he should just go back up North where he came from.People up North that don't know anything about how we live down here and out culture are sooo very ignorant in thinking where a bunch of redneck,hillbilly,uneducated,boring people living on farms with chickens and horses.

Some kind of "stereotype",I guess in the "minds of northerners,but nothing could be futher from the truth.We like sports of all kinds,especially Football,listen to more than just country music,well,I do,LOL.Resturants,and cooking that range from everything from,southerenstyle home cooking,to Mexican,seafood,chinese,just to name a few.

What's more,we down south are much known for out "southeren hospitality"and typically more outgoing and friendly to strangers than anything you will ever experience up north,though I am sure there are a lot of kind and friendly people up north too.I think anyone here get's the picture.

Anyway,to the "unhappy"poster here,if you don't like it down here in the goodolsouth,"Delta's ready when you are".

Old 04-13-2009, 06:22 PM

343 posts, read 604,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peachstate01 View Post
Well,I'm very content to be living here in the south and could't imagine ever relocating up North after all these years.But if this poster has got to make complaints,and discourage the OP from moving down here,he should just go back up North where he came from.People up North that don't know anything about how we live down here and out culture are sooo very ignorant in thinking where a bunch of redneck,hillbilly,uneducated,boring people living on farms with chickens and horses.

Some kind of "stereotype",I guess in the "minds of northerners,but nothing could be futher from the truth.We like sports of all kinds,especially Football,listen to more than just country music,well,I do,LOL.Resturants,and cooking that range from everything from,southerenstyle home cooking,to Mexican,seafood,chinese,just to name a few.

What's more,we down south are much known for out "southeren hospitality"and typically more outgoing and friendly to strangers than anything you will ever experience up north,though I am sure there are a lot of kind and friendly people up north too.I think anyone here get's the picture.

Anyway,to the "unhappy"poster here,if you don't like it down here in the goodolsouth,"Delta's ready when you are".

The quote you used to describe "the south" - redneck, hillbilly, uneducated, people who live on farms - could describe many rural areas in the north as well. I live in a rural part of PA. Guess what? I have a Bachelor's degree, love smooth jazz, going to museums, shopping, sporting events, etc. We also have friendly people here too, but there are some small town "snobs" or clicks that should have died out when people graduated high school.

At any rate, I was on a North Carolina thread about a month ago and said about the same thing: I visited a friend in Columbia about two years ago. We also visited Charleston when I was on vacation. The people were so friendly and hospitable, the term "southern hospitality" is well-deserved. I hope to be fortunate enough to possibly move to the Columbia area myself someday. I really hate winter and snow and cold the older I get and would love to have an extended fall or autumn like you do.

Just wanted to give my 2 cents and compliment the area

Last edited by Jackie2008; 04-13-2009 at 06:23 PM.. Reason: spelling

Old 04-13-2009, 06:43 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LSU Tiger Z71 View Post
I'm pretty sure both cities have better shopping than you'd think. How else do I buy Polo, Brooks Bros, and Robert Talbot? -- or are those brands too fancy for us "rednecks?"

Southern culture is laid back. Its about horseback riding, football games, family, hunting, food, fishing, outdoors, parties and dances, but I guess none of this is appealing to anyone.

Bible Belt? I'm not a Christian and I do not get any flack for not going to church, but I respect those that live the Christian lifestyle.

I live in Columbia and have visited augusta. their shopping sucks. it might be good if you like old navy, gap and aeropostale

and everything that you mentioned in the southern culture is for rednecks. Horse back riding, hunting, fishing and college football games. I have been to many Univ of SC football fans. I prefer not to be surrounded by hicks

AND yes the whole south is a bible belt. So "where do you go to church"?

If you would rather drive a car then that shows your type of lifestyle, which is country as hell.

You can cover up your user name and location and I would still be able to tell that you are from the DEEP south because of what you say

Keep in mind. This person is from NJ, which is the same as me. So, they are going to see things through my eyes more than other posters that are from the DEEP south. Especially as far as transit, etc

Look at what the OP said "Which area is a bigger city and has better shopping, neighborhoods, downtown area, and things to do or activities.".

I seriously doubt this person is going to think that either place:

Feels urban or like a city
has good shopping
think neighborhoods are walkable. the trailer parks will be an experience in itself
and the downtown acitivites are boring as hell

Last edited by NYC1DAY; 04-13-2009 at 06:53 PM..

Old 04-13-2009, 06:49 PM

2,057 posts, read 5,492,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I am not a Columbia native and I have traveled extensively in this country and abroad, but what you describe is not the Columbia that I know and love. You may be describing an isolated rural area somewhere in South Carolina, but not here. There is plenty of shopping other than "cookie cutter" suburban strip malls. Have you ever shopped in Five Points, the Vista or the Devine Street corridor? There are plenty of cool, locally owned places in all 3 areas - you obviously live out in the suburbs somewhere - which, I hate to tell you, are similar whether you're in the NYC area or the Columbia area. Drive everywhere? I used to live in the Shandon area and I walked or biked almost everywhere. I think you need to get out of your suburban subdivision a little bit more and open your eyes.
i know that you are from nj because i have seen your post. but, how long have you lived in SC for? I am not sure but it is many years

everything that i said in that post is true. That is actually the whole state of sc. i have shopped in 5 points, the vista and everyhwere. it was all awful. not everyone wants to wear a polo shirt from dillards. there is nothing upscale here.

i think that you need to open your eyes and realize that columbia and the whole state of sc is filled with nothing but a bunch of hicks

Old 04-13-2009, 08:34 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
i know that you are from nj because i have seen your post. but, how long have you lived in SC for? I am not sure but it is many years

everything that i said in that post is true. That is actually the whole state of sc. i have shopped in 5 points, the vista and everyhwere. it was all awful. not everyone wants to wear a polo shirt from dillards. there is nothing upscale here.

i think that you need to open your eyes and realize that columbia and the whole state of sc is filled with nothing but a bunch of hicks
Why does it matter how long I've lived in South Carolina? I grew up in New Jersey and most of my family is from New York and both of my parents were born and raised in Manhattan. I love New York City and I especially love shopping there, but you can't expect a metro of 730,000 to have what a large city has - it just makes no sense. Columbia has some very nice shops and some very good restaurants, but not the quantity or depth that a large city has. That doesn't mean that Columbia isn't a great place to live because it is and I love it here.

When I need something else, New York City is less than an hour and a half by plane and I usually visit once a year or so and get my fix. I love college football, college basketball and the more laid back lifestyle here. If you don't, that's fine, but don't make ridiculous comments about the place - move (and we won't fret for a minute).

As far as your statement that there is nothing upscale - that is ridiculous. Checkout Savoy in the Vista or Weathers on Devine Street sometime and you'll find plenty of makes that you'll find in larger cities. Besides, if you can afford upscale shopping, why don't you move to New York since that's what you want? You better make well into the 6 figures if you want to live very well there or anywhere close, however.

Old 04-14-2009, 01:05 AM

Quote:
Except for you, right?

You are really a sad individual and I feel for you, I really do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area