Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-31-2007, 03:17 PM

647 posts, read 3,340,965 times

Advertisements

I've searched a few major nationwide builders (pulte, khov, etc) websites and haven't had any luck finding new construction communities in the Columbia area. Does this mean there isn't a lot of new construction going on, like there is in the Charlotte and Raleigh areas in NC? If there are new developmens going in, can you share with me the builders' names and/or community names? We're considering relocating to Columbia (our other choices are Raleigh, Charlotte, or Charleston - still researching) and are looking for very family friendly neighborhoods.

Thanks very much!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-31-2007, 04:11 PM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,906 times
loads of new homes in NE Columbia, Lexington, Irmo, Chapin, etc. Off the top of my head - Mungo Homes, D R Horton Homes, Beazer, Centex.

Old 01-31-2007, 04:15 PM

6 posts, read 12,912 times
There is a bunch of building going on just about everywhere. The hot areas are the Northeast, Northwest, and Southeast. Lexington county is growing fast, and has the big lake. Lots of it depends on your price range, and what you like to be near. There is a very nice outdoor shopping mall going in the Northeast. Traffic issues are probably best in the southeast. However, the entire area is well served by interstates, and travel is pretty easy. Also, the soil is pure sand in the Northeast, and clay in the Western portions of the city. Finally, the city itself has some nice neighborhoods with loyal followings, and close to just about everything.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:04 PM
tnt

47 posts, read 241,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boatdrinks View Post
I've searched a few major nationwide builders (pulte, khov, etc) websites and haven't had any luck finding new construction communities in the Columbia area. Does this mean there isn't a lot of new construction going on, like there is in the Charlotte and Raleigh areas in NC? If there are new developmens going in, can you share with me the builders' names and/or community names? We're considering relocating to Columbia (our other choices are Raleigh, Charlotte, or Charleston - still researching) and are looking for very family friendly neighborhoods.

Thanks very much!

Try C.P Morgan, think in Charlotte, and i know of a nice s/d in Clover. Co-worker built a 3,000 sq ft. home for under $155,000.

http://www.cpmorgan.com/ (broken link)

Old 01-31-2007, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbc1013 View Post
There is a very nice outdoor shopping mall going in the Northeast.
Thanks so much for this info. Do you happen to know the name of the mall or the builder? It sounds nice, and I'd like to Google it to check it out. We really want to be fairly close to shopping, including Targets, etc., and also malls and restaurants.

Thank you!

Old 01-31-2007, 10:43 PM

Thanks very much for all the builder names above. I'm going to check all their websites.

I also wondered if anyone has any opinions on the kid-friendliness of Columbia. I've read that there's a zoo and kids' museum, which is great. Are there other young childrens' activities?

Finally, I've seen photos of the riverwalk area - it looks really neat. Is it a safe area to hang out, and are there shopping and restaurants?

Thank you, in advance, for any insight.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tnt View Post
Try C.P Morgan, think in Charlotte, and i know of a nice s/d in Clover. Co-worker built a 3,000 sq ft. home for under $155,000.

http://www.cpmorgan.com/ (broken link)
Thanks! Do people commute to Columbia from Clover?

Old 02-01-2007, 12:37 AM
tnt

47 posts, read 241,380 times
They can, although it's more typical to find 1 out of 2 ppl. commuting to Charotte instead. It will take just over an hour and 15 minutes to get to Columbia. If that's too far of a drive, may want to try Chester or Lancaster or Winnsboro, Winnsboro being the closest(roughly 30 miles away)
but those are also very small country towns.
Ft. Mill to Rock Hill with Clover and York amidst seem to be more popular.

Old 02-01-2007, 05:38 AM

1,174 posts, read 2,532,906 times
I just saw another one on TV. Schumacher Homes.

Drive from Clover to Columbia?? Why? When you got to Columbia you would hit some traffic snarl.

Irmo (Harbison Blvd area) = mall (Dillards/Belk (like Macys), Sears/Penney, Banana Repub, Amercrombie, Gap, AEagle, Gymboree, etc).
On Harbison Blvd - BedBathBey, Target, SuperWM, Sams Club, Best Buy, Circuit City, TJMaax,Publix,Barnes&Noble,OldNavy,Lowes,H-Depot, Rooms to Go, Pier One, and on and on. Every type chain restaurant, hotels, whatever. Very popular area. The high school, etc are close. The lake is close. Homes affordable. Prop tax and insurance affordable.

The NE area is also very popular, with many new homes. The Village at Sandhill is where you are talking about. Mixed use, open mall type shopping. No finished yet, but many big names stores already there. Quite a bit of traffic congestion in the NE. You might be interested in Blythewood, since you want to get near Charlottle. Blythewood used to be a little country town, but the new homes are all out that way. From affordable to million dollar homes in Lake Carolina.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area