Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-08-2008, 01:01 AM

9 posts, read 28,708 times

Advertisements

Hubby is going to accept the Columbia job, and we're gearing up to move! We have friends in Greenville that he'll have to stay with until we find a place, so that's going to be a miserable commute for awhile. The kids and I will be packing up the house after he leaves, Podding our stuff, and coming out ASAP.

Our biggest problem is our family is huge (2 adults, 7 kids, 2 large dogs, 2 dragons, 7 birds) and it's going to be tough to rent pretty much anything. The market where we're moving from is pretty bad (one month only 2 houses sold in our county), and we might not qualify for 2 mortgages. Hubby will have a substantial pay increase, but we have no idea what that will mean for purchasing yet. We need a place to live, but who in their right mind would rent to this circus? Any idea where I can find info about a lease to own option? Something preferably without a realtor.....a "Buy Owner" type of magazine/website?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-08-2008, 05:28 AM

45 posts, read 192,328 times
Why do you not want a realtor?, they know the area and have a much larger list of available properties. It kills me how people do not want the assistance of a professional who knows the area they are relocating to and no, I am not a realtor but their service is free, why not use it.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:37 AM

316 posts, read 976,034 times
I can't say that I blame you, I don't like real estate agents very much either. Try forsalebyowner.com and fsbo.com and see what you can find. I'm not sure if any of them will have a lease to own option, but I'm sure they will say so if they are willing to do it. Best of luck to you.

Old 09-08-2008, 05:04 PM

865 posts, read 2,432,258 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BarberStudent View Post
Why do you not want a realtor?, they know the area and have a much larger list of available properties. It kills me how people do not want the assistance of a professional who knows the area they are relocating to and no, I am not a realtor but their service is free, why not use it.
Good advice (and no, I'm not a realtor either). Also, have you considered renting before you strap yourself down to 2 mortgages? Even with a large family, there are houses with land to rent (as opposed to an apt.). With the mortgage/real estate climate the way it is right now, and so many foreclosures, I'd be surprised if any lender would agree to someone carrying 2 mortgages, even with a pay increase (unless of course you're making millions etc).

If you rent 1st, you can get a better feel for what areas you like, where you want to buy a home, and you won't have 2 mortgages. What happens if (god forbid) something happens to the breadwinner, and you have not one, but 2 mortgages? Check out the "real estate" and "mortgage" forums here, and you'll find plenty of stories of people who had slightly overextended themselves, and when the market soured, and something else unexpected happened (like job loss, hospitalization, illness, etc), - bankruptcy, foreclosure, bad credit history... not pretty.

Old 09-08-2008, 08:45 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
I just have to comment on the strangeness of this post...the 2 non Realtors suggest using a Realtor and the Realtor who is married to a real estate agent suggests not using one.

I take option C.-Contact a property manager and do a 6 mo. lease. That drive from Greenville will get to your husband after about 5 days. I don't even know why I'm offering any advice since you don't want professional help but there it is.

Old 09-08-2008, 09:57 PM

316 posts, read 976,034 times
It was sarcasm Brandon, now stop frowning at me.

Old 09-08-2008, 10:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlboney View Post
It was sarcasm Brandon, now stop frowning at me.
That's a question mark...this is a frown

Old 09-08-2008, 11:38 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Now now....

Old 09-09-2008, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Now now....
I was trying to joke in the second one just in case it wasn't picked up on, that's why I put the smiley face icon. My sarcasm meter was broken.

Old 09-11-2008, 05:09 PM

1 posts, read 3,515 times
Columbia SC is over overcrowded NOW and more people coming everyday.I have live here all my life and losing my family/freinds .They all have move further out or move to another state trying to find the good small town feeling again.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area