Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2008, 03:56 AM

48 posts, read 171,184 times

Advertisements

We just found out that we're getting orders to Shaw. For the first time in 15 years I cried when I found out where we were going. When you hear a base has a nickname like "Shawshank" and the local town called "Scumter" or "Dumpster"...well, you can imagine why the tears. But I'm glad I found this forum because I really want to know whatever there is to know about the area. I have a 3-1/2 year old daughter who is currently enrolled in music preschool and dance so if you can tell me about great dance or preschools or music and art classes I would really appreciate that. My big concern is things to do. We're from NY originally, and have lived in San Francisco, Italy, and Utah, all places where there's tons of stuff to do. We're always on the go on the weekends, and I'm sure with Columbia nearby weekend entertainment won't be a problem. But what about in Sumter? Are there bookstores, shopping, storytime, a good library? What stores, restaurants are nearby? How is the local community? Please be honest and give it to me straight...the good, the bad...anything and everything...don't hold back! We're actually at a real crossroads right now, because we can decline this assignment and retire. But I hate to give up job security and benefits based on rumors and a bad rep, you know? SO thanks a million in advance, I really appreciate whatever you can tell me about Sumter and Shaw.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2008, 08:53 AM

8,232 posts, read 13,353,185 times
I would start with these threads and there are probably others that have some extensive discussions on Sumter and then you may be able to ask some additional questions and/or others may chime in......

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...mbia-area.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/south...****-city.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/south...er-please.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/south...sumter-sc.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...sumter-sc.html

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colum...ife-crime.html

Old 09-27-2008, 08:49 PM

843 posts, read 2,747,145 times
I'm guilty of using these nicknames to refer to the area, which isn't helping repair the image, but as you'll see me admit in some of those threads: it's really not that bad. My daughter took gymnastics a few years ago at Miss Libby's, who also does dance. They were alright but my daughter decided it was too slow-paced for her liking. She transitioned into basketball & baseball and liked it much better. The baseball fields in town are awesome. Very nice complex (I'm talking about the ones behind Alice Dr; the updated softball fields at Dillon Park are nice, too). They played basketball at a community center downtown, which could have used some work, but it was a good league.

Bookstore? No. There's a Waldon's in the "mall", but it's small and limited. There is, however, as you'll again see me state in those threads, an amazing new library. I take my daughter there every other weekend. There are Books-A-Millions and Barnes & Nobles in various areas of Columbia.

Shopping? Eh... no. The mall is mostly urban street wear but there is a Belks & Pennys. They put a new TJ Maxx in and, as far as TJ Maxx's are concerned, I think it's fairly nice. My wife hates them, but we've actually been to this one several times. If you want to go shopping, you can find everything you need/want at areas like Sandhills (approximately 40 minutes from Shaw) or west Cola (about 55 minutes).

Restaurants? Yeah, there's a few decent places around plus the typical chain-stuff.

The schools are actually surprisingly better than I had expected. We're in District 2, though, which is the schools around/on Shaw.

I don't know what storytime is.

My neighborhood is nice and quiet. I live in Oakland North (postal address is Dalzell) off 441, behind Shaw. It's mostly AF personnel and some law enforcement. Very diverse, never had any kind of problems (except for some raccoons that live in the woods/sewer across from us).

My biggest complaint right now is the lack of work around here. It sucks commuting to Columbia, but y'all are going to Shaw so that's not a problem.

Could Sumter use some work? Read the threads, you'll see that it can. But when I sit back and look at it without bias, it's really not too bad. It's small, but big enough to sustain day-to-day life. It's nice that the roads are designed to enhance flow. I've never, in 4 years here, had to sit in traffic. There are lots of nice parks around. If we want to spend the day out on the town, it's not all that much trouble to head over to Columbia or even Florence. It would be nice to have a little more to do locally (especially a good bookstore), but we're getting by without it.

Oh yeah, Bakers Sweets on Alice Dr is amazing!

Last edited by Ceezer; 09-27-2008 at 09:03 PM..

Old 09-28-2008, 07:18 PM

83 posts, read 276,395 times
It would be stupid to throw away retirement benefits early to avoid Sumter, there is no nice way to say it. There is FAR too much money at stake, not to mention the full four-year college ride the Webb G.I. Bill offers (even for the VEAP victims!) . If you have fifteen years in, the last five go very quickly and then you get an income for the rest of your life plus benefits. Throwing decades of future money away to join a civilian economy on the brink of a Depression is retarded.

The base is not downtown, so what happens in the bad neighborhoods is not a concern. I've been here since 1985 and I just stay away from poor neighborhoods, which is easy. You'll quickly learn where you should and should not go. There are many nice developments, and you can restrict your acquaintances to USAF personnel until you get acclimated.

You also do not need to live IN Sumter. The base is not in town, and the areas around it are full of G.I.s. Many airmen (self included) stay at Shaw a long time and retire here. If you need a cosmopolitan atmosphere then live closer to Columbia. Property between Shaw and Columbia would allow you an easy commute in either direction, and there are many nice rural areas there.

The base itself has had and is undergoing millions of dollars in construction (library included) and has top-notch facilities. I wouldn't bother driving to town except to shop. You are also within easy distance of Florence which has many stores.

Previous poster lives in a good area:

"My neighborhood is nice and quiet. I live in Oakland North (postal address is Dalzell) off 441, behind Shaw. It's mostly AF personnel and some law enforcement. Very diverse, never had any kind of problems (except for some raccoons that live in the woods/sewer across from us)."

Old 09-30-2008, 03:08 PM

Default wary

My husband has 23 years in already, so we are past retirement eligibility. At this point we would have to extend his enlistment to take the assignment at Shaw. Our plan was to finish out my husband's service commitment in June 2010, then he was going to finish his degree (2 yrs to go) with the new GI Bill. We would currently be retiring right before my daughter is ready to start kindergarten. If we accept the Shaw assignment, she would be moving in the middle of her kindergarten year (for retirement). I always find PCS moves to be a financial burden (I can't figure out how people always manage to come out ahead, we always lose thousands). Between that, and the fact that we would send her to private school based on what I've read about Sumter public schools, I'm afraid to spend thousands and thousands of dollars that right now I otherwise wouldn't have to spend so close to retirement.

I'm just scared of what we'll find when we get to Sumter. One thing I've learned over the years is that bases get their reputation for a reason. Then again, there are always good things to a place too, and I just want to know the truth about Sumter, what to expect, what it's like.

Oh, another thing...the weather...when I looked at the Shaw website, from the weather forecast you'd think it was the worst place on earth. I know it can't possibly be that bad. Is it?!

Old 09-30-2008, 03:10 PM

Oh, also wondering what are some of the nicest areas to live in and around Sumter?

Old 10-01-2008, 06:32 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,145 times
There are many nice areas around. Both sides of Dalzell (off 441, where I live, and then on the other side of base off 521) are nice, mostly AF personel. The east side (off 521) has many new developments there, along with a new soccer field compound that's supposed to hold the upcoming little league soccer world series (something like that). If you take 441 south across 378, it turns into Patriot Parkway and there are many new developments that have gone up in the last 2 years. I can elaborate more on this later if you like.

Yes, sometimes bases get names for a reason (i.e. Fayettenam), but sometimes it's just because people like to be funny (or think they are). When I used to deply to Palm Springs (I'm a former Marine, not USAF; came here as a DoD spot) the local military personel had all kinds of colorful names for it. Do you think Palm Springs is really a crap hole? It's not my cup of tea, but hundreds of thousands of people that vacation there yearly would disagree. I spent 4 years on Shaw before moving on to the civilian market (ugh...) and I had no complaints. Nice facilities (including a nice park to take your daughter to), and as Rophlmao said, they built a new library.

What have you read about Sumter area schools, and where did you get your information? It wasn't here, I'd guess, because I've had nothing but glowing reviews of the District 2 schools. I was concerned because my daughter is very advanced (she tested at 5th grade levels when she was 6) but we couldn't afford Wilson Hall at the time. I'm not that concerned about it anyway. Who says Wilson Hall is any "better"? They still have to go as fast as the slowest kid, right? Just because you're rich doesn't mean your kids are smart, so that place could be full of dummies that would be slowing her down anyway (not to sound intentionally mean, just trying to get my point across quickly because I need to get going here). If they're leaving them behind to adhere to the planning outline just to look good for statistical sense, then I don't want here there anyway because she wouldn't be getting the personal attention and devotion that these public school teachers give. I've been pleasantly surprised at these schools around Shaw (my daughter is in 2nd grade and is now attending Shaw Heights on base; K-1 goes to Oakland Primary, across from the east gate behind 441. Greeeeeeat school!).

Weather? How do you come to the conclusion that the weather here is the worst on earth? I mean, I grew up in WV/Southern Ohio where we had 4 glorious and distinct seasons, so I miss that, but it gets hot just about everywhere. There are times when I head home to visit family in the summer, only to find out it's more miserable up there than it was when I left here to travel. And yeah, it's hard to get into the holiday spirit when it's 75 out on Christmas Day, but I seem to be in the minority there. Most folks seem to love the year-round warmth.

Gotta get going, but if there's anything more you'd like me to touch on this evening I'd be happy to. Just let me know.

Where are you currently stationed/coming from?

Old 10-01-2008, 02:07 PM

1,048 posts, read 2,387,771 times
Having worked for the DoD, I can tell you there are horrid names for every base and town near it. For a comparison, I'd say Sumter is a wee bit better than Warner Robins.

Old 10-01-2008, 04:04 PM

7,330 posts, read 15,383,950 times
In short, Sumter's not as bad as you've made it out to be.

The better in-town neighborhoods are basically the area bounded by Liberty, Guingard, Broad, and Loring Mill. The areas are called Deerfield, Sunway Knolls, Heathlywood, Indian Hills, etc. However, most of these neighborhoods aren't named subdivisions, so there are few signs.

I'm not as familiar with the newer neighborhoods that some of the other posters refer to.

Old 10-01-2008, 06:30 PM

1 posts, read 8,504 times
I've lived in Sumter for more than 30 years. My Dad retired here in 1980. Myself, I enjoy where I live. You can find a nice, quiet place with a big lot or a few acres, enjoy a touch of country living, yet be within 10 minutes of Shaw, 15 minutes of Sumter, and 45 minutes to Columbia. We live on a Pre-Civil War Plantation with 60 acres and 13 horses. I wouldn't trade that experience for anything.

My daughter attended several schools in the area and graduated from Thomas Sumter. She played softball, was on a swim team, and did cheerleading. She earned a Hope Scholarship, which has paid for a portion of her college.

Sumter is what you make of it. You can make this experience a great one or you can plan on being miserable. Sure, the pace is a bit different down here. Some things move slower and some people talk slower. But you have to do that in order to survive the heat and humidity.

I certainly don't snow... well, not that much anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area