Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-01-2009, 08:10 PM

24 posts, read 52,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gaichon View Post
I suggest giving the new Thai restaurant on Sunset Blvd in West Columbia a try. Good food with large, reasonably priced portions.
I agree. I had lunch there last week and it was very good.

As for Dim Sum, I'm interested to know if there is a good place here in Columbia. Maybe it's best if there isn't one. I'm sure I would always compare it to the dim sum in San Francisco...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-03-2009, 02:34 PM

7,993 posts, read 12,859,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
I can't remember if they have dim sum on the menu, but I've asked for special items several times and they've always been able to accommodate.
While Dim Sum can be served from a menu, it typically is not. It is usually wheeled around on a cart. Lunch is the typical time for Dim Sum. Dim Sum is as much an experience as a food.

To the OP, if you can't find a Dim Sum place in Columbia, there are a couple up the road in Greenville. PM me and I can advise.

Old 02-03-2009, 05:04 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post
While Dim Sum can be served from a menu, it typically is not. It is usually wheeled around on a cart. Lunch is the typical time for Dim Sum. Dim Sum is as much an experience as a food.

To the OP, if you can't find a Dim Sum place in Columbia, there are a couple up the road in Greenville. PM me and I can advise.
Like I said, M Vista and the other Miyo's restaurants will accommodate special requests. As far as the carts are concerned, most restaurants in this day and age use a checkoff list for dim sum, similar the way selections are made at many sushi restaurants. I really don't need a lesson on Chinese food as I've spent considerable amounts of time in New York's Chinatown.

Old 02-07-2009, 11:21 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gsupstate View Post

mmm don't tempt me! Unfortunately I never have reason to visi Gville and I'm afraid even a place that specializes in Dim Sum can't justify a 100 mile drive

Old 02-07-2009, 11:24 PM

2,904 posts, read 6,915,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by waccamatt View Post
Like I said, M Vista and the other Miyo's restaurants will accommodate special requests. As far as the carts are concerned, most restaurants in this day and age use a checkoff list for dim sum, similar the way selections are made at many sushi restaurants. I really don't need a lesson on Chinese food as I've spent considerable amounts of time in New York's Chinatown.
I actually haven't had the chance to check out Miyo's yet-I've been trying to save...have you actually ordered Dim Sum from them?

You are correct about the check lists-at least that's how it's done in London's Chinatown as well as in Taipei's dumpling houses.

Old 02-08-2009, 11:52 AM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by decafdave View Post
I actually haven't had the chance to check out Miyo's yet-I've been trying to save...have you actually ordered Dim Sum from them?

You are correct about the check lists-at least that's how it's done in London's Chinatown as well as in Taipei's dumpling houses.
I haven't, but when you do try them, try M Vista - they have the most extensive menu and the best atmosphere.

Old 08-08-2016, 06:03 PM

1 posts, read 977 times
Searching for dim sum in Columbia that is served from the little carts that are rolled around the restaurant??? Is Atlanta the only place you can get dim sum served on a cart?

Old 08-08-2016, 07:24 PM

14,246 posts, read 14,733,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sc at heart View Post
Searching for dim sum in Columbia that is served from the little carts that are rolled around the restaurant??? Is Atlanta the only place you can get dim sum served on a cart?
I understand the closest (according to a Chinese golfing buddy) to be in Atlanta or Charlotte.

Old 08-09-2016, 09:10 AM

518 posts, read 436,122 times
The closest Dim Sum is in Charlotte - Dim Sum Restaurant is the name. Nothing like that here. Miyo's is especially disappointing since they advertise they have Dim sum, but it is just crappy won tons and egg rolls.

Old 08-10-2016, 12:28 AM

16 posts, read 35,919 times
Miyo's and M Vista have washed out inauthentic Chinese food. The closest thing you'll ever have to Chinese dim sum from San Francisco or any of the Chinatowns would be to drive up to Charlotte's Dim Sum restaurant or head down to Atlanta.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area