Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 12-16-2008, 10:46 AM

429 posts, read 1,116,740 times

Advertisements

kay, I want a job after may, when I graduate from USC. I'm desperate for something in politics but I know its hard to get. Someone just be honest with me. What are my chances?

So here are some stats about myself:

I'm 20 when I graduate in May, 21 next August.
I will have a BA in Political Science, with a focus on American Govt.
My gpa is less than a 3.0 but higher than a 2.75
I have interned at the SC. House of Representatives and Amnesty Intl.
I currently work as an office assistant at my school, and have been for a year. It's mostly billing assistance to my boss and clerical stuff.

Anyway, any advice would be great. Since fall semester is over, my job search needs to go into high gear. I want a job given to me at least in April.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-16-2008, 12:42 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,988,738 times
Well, I don't know about the state house specifically but many state agencies have been cutting back so I can't imagine that will help any. Beef up your resume, get involved in the community and volunteer for anything related to your field you can squeeze in. Also, I suggest you spend some time with your grammar and dictation because what you just wrote is rife with errors. If I got a cover letter or resume with those types of mistakes I'd throw it in the trash.

Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
I worked at the SC Statehouse while I was in college. I called my local state Rep at the time, asked him to appoint me, and he did. However, we're talking about a minimum-wage type deal, not a career, and it sounds like you've got that taken care of.

If you want a career at the statehouse, a few options I can think of are: either get elected (ha-ha), work for somebody who is elected, or look for jobs with the state of South Carolina. There are political consultancies in Columbia, too. It is tough starting out in politics. Most of my politically-oriented friends and acquaintances weren't able to succeed in finding a political career, but a few had big enough names to get their foot in the door. I also knew a few people who worked their butts off volunteering in college, making a name for themselves, and doors opened for them as well. I think Plan B for many people is to work for the state, federal, or local government.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:20 AM

549 posts, read 1,741,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubber_factory View Post
a few had big enough names to get their foot in the door...

a few people... worked their butts off volunteering in college, making a name for themselves, and doors opened for them as well...
That's it in a nutshell.

Old 12-24-2008, 12:28 PM

9,519 posts, read 14,748,538 times
Pay attention to Brandon. He speaks the truth.

Old 12-24-2008, 01:11 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,566,649 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eureka1 View Post
Pay attention to Brandon. He speaks the truth.
Seriously; if I receive a resume with spelling or grammatical errors, it goes straight to file 13.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area