Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-02-2009, 08:42 AM

2,814 posts, read 6,874,095 times

Advertisements

Are there certain family friendly neighborhoods in Columbia that are popular or do they tend to live on the outskirts in places like Lexington?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-02-2009, 08:47 AM

316 posts, read 976,172 times
I know people who work at the University that live in the Shandon area and some that live in Northeast Columbia. You can really find a nice community to live in anywhere in Columbia or Lexington, it all depends on what you are looking for. In order to live close to the University, Southeast Columbia or down town would put you the closest proximity, but if you don't mind a commute then you could easily live in any of the outskirts of town.

Are you looking for anything in particular or just curious?

Old 01-02-2009, 09:04 AM

At this point I'm just researching. I noticed a job at the VA in Columbia, so I was curious. We are considering many places. Now that the stock market has changed we are expanding our options due to the need to work longer than we expected (husband in particular). We are considering the midwest, but Columbia caught my eye. Not sure if Columbia would be too conservative for us. I also looked at the private schools, and I was wondering which one has the best reputation. There are two that start with the letter, "H". Anyway, I have questions (lots). Thanks

Old 01-02-2009, 09:07 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
That neighborhood around the VA Hospital and Hammond School is a good, affordable neighborhood, but I'm not sure about the public schools. They have a good range of houses there. Closer to USC, there's Rosewood, Shandon, and several other little adjoined neighborhoods, as well as a "University neighborhood" that's mixed in with the campus. You also have Forest Acres as another good choice. I'm sure there are more Im not thinking of.

If you worked at USC, I don't see why you'd move to Lexington, though. It would make sense to me if you lived on Lake Murray. Is there something special there that you like?

Last edited by le roi; 01-02-2009 at 09:24 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 09:34 AM

I just keep on reading about Lexington so I was wondering about it. We like established neighborhoods with a decent sized yard. Some of the older neighborhoods in most towns have tiny yards. I think my ideal neighborhood is an established suburban neighborhood that has easy access to downtown. No brand new developments or cookie cutter sterile neighborhoods.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:55 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,745,293 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gimme it View Post
I just keep on reading about Lexington so I was wondering about it. We like established neighborhoods with a decent sized yard. Some of the older neighborhoods in most towns have tiny yards. I think my ideal neighborhood is an established suburban neighborhood that has easy access to downtown. No brand new developments or cookie cutter sterile neighborhoods.

Somebody will probably step out of the woodwork and berate me for saying this, but when I think "brand new developments or cookie cutter sterile neighborhoods", I think Lexington. (I know it has its old parts, I just associate Lexington with sprawl)

You can find what you're looking for without going far away. Just about 4 or 5 years ago, I rented a 1930's 3br craftsman house on about half an acre in Shandon, with huge oak trees out front. Rented for $1,000 a month, and a 5 minute drive to campus.

Last edited by le roi; 01-02-2009 at 10:45 AM..

Old 01-02-2009, 06:24 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,569,739 times
Most of the people who work at USC (that I know) live in Shandon, Melrose Heights Hollywood Hills and University Hill - all wonderful neighborhoods. I'm not sure about those who work at the VA Hospital. I have a link to photos of a number of neighborhoods on my website, which is linked in my profile.

Old 01-02-2009, 09:17 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,993,410 times
All over really. SE Columbia is convenient to the VA and about 15 minutes from USC.

Old 01-03-2009, 02:55 PM

37,222 posts, read 19,225,735 times
I live about a mile from the VA in Columbia. From the VA back towards Columbia is zoned for Dreher High School which is one of the best in the district.

The neighborhoods around the VA and USC are quiet and a lotof people are on the streets all hours of the day and night walking, jogging, and riding bikes. If you live west of Beltline you can conceivably go wherever you need to on a bicycle. I used to when I lived off Kilbourne and Rosewood - never cranked my car more than twice a week.

Columbia politically is a stiff-necked, provincial little backwater that votes consistently republican even when it is in no one's best interests (except for the Mayor), but there is also a large group of people, especially around USC, who are a little easier to deal with if, say, you voted for Obama and want to actually admit it and talk about it.

What else are you looking for in a city and what is your tolerance for commuting pain?

Old 01-03-2009, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuebald View Post
I live about a mile from the VA in Columbia. From the VA back towards Columbia is zoned for Dreher High School which is one of the best in the district.

The neighborhoods around the VA and USC are quiet and a lotof people are on the streets all hours of the day and night walking, jogging, and riding bikes. If you live west of Beltline you can conceivably go wherever you need to on a bicycle. I used to when I lived off Kilbourne and Rosewood - never cranked my car more than twice a week.

Columbia politically is a stiff-necked, provincial little backwater that votes consistently republican even when it is in no one's best interests (except for the Mayor), but there is also a large group of people, especially around USC, who are a little easier to deal with if, say, you voted for Obama and want to actually admit it and talk about it.

What else are you looking for in a city and what is your tolerance for commuting pain?
Well, we voted for Obama, and I feel more comfortable around others who like him. Time will tell, and I may end up being disappointed with him, but right now I love him. Anyway, we tend to feel most comfortable amongst moderate liberals, not necessarily tree huggers and not Evangelicals. I thought that Columbia being a college town would be like Athens, GA. I'm still trying to learn about the area. Thanks
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area