Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 04:31 PM

15 posts, read 48,749 times

Advertisements

8t9vt -- hello! a native VA girl, here. my mom is from richmond. she grew up in the fan. i know you will miss richmond. it's a great town. but you'll like columbia, too. i've been here for almost 7 years. the advice you're getting on here is very good. i agree with everyone. i don't have kids, but i used to work at a public library in the Richland 2 school district (NE Columbia), and everyone seems very happy w/that district. it is super-suburbia, though. and the traffic is starting to get bad.

now, i work w/parents of lexington 1 students, and they also seem to be happy w/their schools. but like NE columbia, the homes are mostly new (ie, built since the 70s.). if you REALLY want an older home w/charm, you really should stick w/whatever location will get your kids into Dreher high school. i have also heard good things about AC Flora high school, but you might want to get a 2nd opinion on that.

the rosewood area is like a more affordable shandon/heathwood. but i do not know the schools there, so you'll have to get info from someone else. that part of town is making a comeback, so if it looks a little rough around the edges, don't worry. there's lots of nice homes and nice people there.

btw, there aren't (from what i have gathered) a lot of kids in the shandon area. my impression is that it's a lot of professional, childless couples. plus, i think the houses are outrageously overpriced. JMHO

if safety is your concern, try to stay away from broad river road, north main st., the eastern end of st. andrews and areas around decker blvd/farrow rd/monticello road. that part of town isn't the best.

(btw -- they don't know how to pronounce "monticello" down here! LOL)

if you do end up in irmo, which is a great part of town for families, dont' get a house in friarsgate subdivision. it's getting bad now, crime-wise.

ok, that's pretty much all i can think of at this point. welcome to SC! throw away all your wool clothing! LOL
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2009, 06:05 PM

272 posts, read 730,552 times
We know how to pronounce "Monticello". Latin AND Italian AND French pronunciation rules are beaten into us from an early age.

It's just that we're so busy singin' and dancin'...!

Seriously, it's true, everybody says "mon-ti-SELL'-oh" Road or Lake or whatever it is. There is actually a book, now out of print, I believe, called something like "Correct Mispronunciations of South Carolina Names". Saw one today at the used book store. Too expensive.

Bring it on down!

Old 02-21-2009, 10:52 AM

28 posts, read 77,925 times
You guys are too funny. Do you call the musical instrument a "sello"? No, it's a "chello". Therefore it is logical to think it would be Montichello! Who is doing the beating of pronunciation rules anyway??

Swampwolf I read your post about Hand/Dreher, however looking at the state school report card sight Crayton/AC Flora actually seem to score better. Am I missing something? I believe Dreher is just about the same, but Hand seems to be a little behind where Crayton is. I've been concentrating more Satchel Ford, Brennan and Brockman ES school districting. Since I have middle and ES schoolers it is making it a bit harder to narrow a search. That along with my limited budget. My husband is out looking at homes today, he wasn't too impressed with Melrose Heights simply from viewpoint that he didn't see any kids and he thinks the owner he met with today was totally unrealistic for what he was asking for rental, considering condition of home. He continues to like Lake Katherine and Heathwood area the best. Now it will be a matter of finding a home that fits our bill.

Old 02-21-2009, 10:56 AM

Default rosewood area

VBSC, when we drove around Rosewood struck me as a Lakeside type of neighborhood. Are you familiar w/ Lakeside in North Richmond? I had my first house there but that was before kids. I've heard about Rosewood making a comeback, but wonder if it is just very specific to certain streets?

Old 02-21-2009, 10:57 AM

Default rosewood area

VBSC, when we drove around Rosewood struck me as a Lakeside type of neighborhood. Are you familiar w/ Lakeside in North Richmond? I had my first house there but that was before kids. I've heard about Rosewood making a comeback, but wonder if it is just very specific to certain streets?

ps: does the VB stand for Va Beach? I went to HS there.

Old 02-23-2009, 10:33 PM

899 posts, read 2,289,184 times
8t9vt--I recently moved a few months ago from the Shandon area for job relocation. I am familiar with Rosewood as well. Rosewood is not really on any sort of major comeback. What you may have heard might involve new condos being built on Rosewood Dr. (near intersection of Rosewood and Shandon St.) as well as some recent new retail/eateries opening. What you should know is that Rosewood is a heavy renters neighborhood with a lot of students and lower-income renters. (FYI--Shandon while one of the nicest older neighborhoods in Columbia is also about 1/3 renters--mainly students). Hand Middle School is usually very well regarded in part because Time Magazine name it National Middle School of the Year back in 2000 (not positive on year) and people still talk about this.

Old 04-05-2009, 06:33 PM

480 posts, read 878,693 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by swampwolf View Post
That is the only area in Richland One where the schools are very good. Probably Brendan Elementary, Hand Middle, and Dreher High. The rest of the district is mostly below dismal, seriously.

As an alternative, the Rosewood Area, substituting Rosewood Elementary (very good) and the others the same.

Best of luck.
Brennen and Rosewood sound like better Richland 1 Elem. Schools, and I've also heard good things about Satchel Ford. Brockman's report card looks good, too.

So am I correct that any one of those four elementary schools (Brennen, Rosewood, Sachel Ford and Brockman) would offer a good, safe education for my children? We're looking in a couple of areas in Richland 1 district.

Thanks.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:16 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisake View Post
Brennen and Rosewood sound like better Richland 1 Elem. Schools, and I've also heard good things about Satchel Ford. Brockman's report card looks good, too.

So am I correct that any one of those four elementary schools (Brennen, Rosewood, Sachel Ford and Brockman) would offer a good, safe education for my children? We're looking in a couple of areas in Richland 1 district.

Thanks.
You are correct; all of those schools have good reputations as do the middle and high schools they feed into.

Old 04-05-2009, 07:43 PM

10,965 posts, read 21,995,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by innovator82 View Post
8t9vt--I recently moved a few months ago from the Shandon area for job relocation. I am familiar with Rosewood as well. Rosewood is not really on any sort of major comeback. What you may have heard might involve new condos being built on Rosewood Dr. (near intersection of Rosewood and Shandon St.) as well as some recent new retail/eateries opening. What you should know is that Rosewood is a heavy renters neighborhood with a lot of students and lower-income renters. (FYI--Shandon while one of the nicest older neighborhoods in Columbia is also about 1/3 renters--mainly students). Hand Middle School is usually very well regarded in part because Time Magazine name it National Middle School of the Year back in 2000 (not positive on year) and people still talk about this.
I think you overestimate the rental % but I don't have numbers or stats or hard facts to back me up.

Old 04-07-2009, 07:39 AM

3 posts, read 6,637 times
If you want to be on the quieter side of the neighborhood, there are plenty of homes that are on the market that are for sale/ lease purchase/ or lease. Usually on colamls.com you can find the listings in zip 29205 and they have posted in the agent remarks that there are other options available instead of just purchasing the homes listed. Not sure if you have looked around the Shandon Square neighborhood, but I know these homes are well built and new...they will lease or sell or lease/purchase. They also feed the best public schools in the downtown area.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area