Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-20-2009, 08:53 AM

163 posts, read 664,492 times

Advertisements

Can anyone give me their take on the Laurel Hill, Earlewood, and Elmwood Park neighborhoods in the 29201 zip code of downtown Columbia?

Would you recommend any of these for a young couple with small children? Safety? Schools? Overall upkeep of the area?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 12:23 PM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Yes.. Yes and Yes.. I am a huge fan of these three neighborhoods.. Laurel Hill is a nice newer development.. though the houses are a little small. I like the floor plans, style, and proximity to downtown.. I do not know about the Schools for this area/ where you would be zoned.. but from a safety perspective I do not think you will have any problems

Old 02-20-2009, 04:20 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,562,278 times
I live in Keenan Terrace, which is on the other side of Sunset Drive from Earlewood. I love it over here, but I'm not certain about the schools. If schools are a priority I think a recommendation for a similar area with better schools would be Rosewood or Melrose Heights as their residents are in the Dreher feeder schools area. Logan Elementary School is a good school and I think it is the elementary for Laurel Hill, Earlewood and Elmwood Park, but the middle and high schools don't have as good a reputation. My favorite thing about this area is the diversity of the population - Black, White, immigrants, gay, straight, wealthy, middle and not so well off all in close proximity to each other.

Old 02-24-2009, 07:06 AM

Looking online, I found some homes that look new (or newer) in a subdivision called Rosewood Hills. It's close to Rosewood Drive. Ever been through this subdivision?

Old 02-24-2009, 11:00 AM

10,964 posts, read 21,980,652 times
New construction being sold by the Columbia Housing Auth. Not bad looking homes from the street, very plain inside. Not sure how well they'll hold up in the long run (not saying they aren't good quality, saying I don't know is all) but a great location. A lot of homes in there, most look fairly similar.

Old 03-01-2009, 06:32 AM

15 posts, read 48,469 times
I currently live in Laurel Hill, recent relocation from Florida a year ago, and I am moving out as soon as my lease is up at the end of March. The area is really cute which is the main reason I rented here but the parking is a nightmare, the houses are small and the streets are narrow. The houses look really cute from the outside but once you really get past that you realize that they are cheaply made and as the one I'm in is 10 years old it is starting to fall apart. The prices for this area are high compared to what you get for the money. The house I'm in was on the market for 154,000.00 and there is no way I would pay that for this house (mind you I come from Florida where a cheap 1bedroom goes for that). Anyway, lots of college kids parents have bought these houses for their kids while they go to school. I have three college girls living next to me (along with their boyfriends and other friends) I usually have 6-8 cars surrounding my house daily. The streets are so narrow that if someone parks in the street/sidewalk only one car can pass down the street at a time. I've seen some close calls over the year. I would not recommend this area for kids younger than college age. Directly behind Laurel Hill is an area not so great and Laurel Hill had to put signs up with regard to trespassing as they would walk through the neighborhood and well..... several cars were broken into and some other things. There are some positives, its a great location because easy access to downtown, Finley Park and the highways. Others may disagree with me but this is just my opinion.

Old 03-03-2009, 08:16 AM

Thanks for the heads up, txbostont. Something to keep in mind.

Old 03-03-2009, 10:19 AM

8,235 posts, read 13,353,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txbostont View Post
I currently live in Laurel Hill, recent relocation from Florida a year ago, and I am moving out as soon as my lease is up at the end of March. The area is really cute which is the main reason I rented here but the parking is a nightmare, the houses are small and the streets are narrow. The houses look really cute from the outside but once you really get past that you realize that they are cheaply made and as the one I'm in is 10 years old it is starting to fall apart. The prices for this area are high compared to what you get for the money. The house I'm in was on the market for 154,000.00 and there is no way I would pay that for this house (mind you I come from Florida where a cheap 1bedroom goes for that). Anyway, lots of college kids parents have bought these houses for their kids while they go to school. I have three college girls living next to me (along with their boyfriends and other friends) I usually have 6-8 cars surrounding my house daily. The streets are so narrow that if someone parks in the street/sidewalk only one car can pass down the street at a time. I've seen some close calls over the year. I would not recommend this area for kids younger than college age. Directly behind Laurel Hill is an area not so great and Laurel Hill had to put signs up with regard to trespassing as they would walk through the neighborhood and well..... several cars were broken into and some other things. There are some positives, its a great location because easy access to downtown, Finley Park and the highways. Others may disagree with me but this is just my opinion.

That was my only concern about the area.. the size of the homes.. the layout of the neighborhood and the architecture exterior are nice..in addition to the proximity to downtown.. but it seems that once a couple begins to have kids most of the homes in the area could be outgrown quickly. Are homes re-selling readily in that area??? I rode through I believe it is "Canal Place" not to far away from there and there are alot of vacant home sites. There are several lots that front the canal on a steep embankment.. wonder how they would build homes on them? You would have an nice view but a walk in your backyard could be tretcherous.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
View detailed profiles of: