Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 09:18 PM

146 posts, read 521,808 times

Advertisements

I've been toying with the idea of setting up a small auto detailing business based out of my residence in NE Cola. I'd like to register a name w/ the state or whomever I would need to, and I am aware I would be wise to carry Garage Keepers insurance while the autos being worked on under my car are covered in case of any mishap. My business would be part time, on the weekends, etc.. and would concentrate on basic auto cleaning all the way up to paint corrections (removing scratches, swirls and general paint imperfections), essentially helping restore that new car experience.

Any takers :-)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2009, 08:12 AM

163 posts, read 664,561 times
You should consult a local attorney to help you with this. An attorney would help you set up your business as a limited liability company (L.L.C.) or other appropriate business entity, register a business name, advise you on what types/amounts of insurance to carry, advise you on any zoning or HOA issues that might exist with operating a business from your home, and help you apply for any required licenses or permits. If you are at all serious at getting this business started, the cost of hiring an attorney would be well worth it.

Old 04-01-2009, 09:34 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,539 times
In addition, I would also suggest checking out Autopia.org*. It's a detailing-oriented site and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of members who have opened their own detailing business and would be able to offer some advice.

*I apologize to the site owners and admins if external links are frowned upon. As we're here to help others in need, I feel my suggestion was a necessary one. Yes, I could have shared it in a private message but I don't like to hide information in the chance that someone else with a similar need/request happens upon this thread.

Old 04-01-2009, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ceezer View Post
In addition, I would also suggest checking out Autopia.org*. It's a detailing-oriented site and there are hundreds, if not thousands, of members who have opened their own detailing business and would be able to offer some advice.

*I apologize to the site owners and admins if external links are frowned upon. As we're here to help others in need, I feel my suggestion was a necessary one. Yes, I could have shared it in a private message but I don't like to hide information in the chance that someone else with a similar need/request happens upon this thread.
Thanks Ceezer! I'm a member on that site for some time. I've just started poking around in the Pro Detailer's section. I wanted to post here as I was curious if someone had any starting points and tips, i.e. costs related to register a name, etc....

It's because of Autopia.org I've caught the OCD bug, Obsessive Compulsive Detailing :-)

Old 04-09-2009, 11:06 AM

Anyone have an attorney they can recommend? I reviewed the SCSOS web site and retrieved the required form, "Articles of Incorporation" that I would need to complete. This form requires an attorney licensed to practive in SC to endorse the form. I am trying to keep this as cost conscious as possible, as this is to be a low-scale side business.

Thanks for the responses thus far.

Old 07-24-2009, 09:40 AM

Ever tried to remove the pesky droplet marks on your car windows, and didn't know how to elliminate them?
This is a a service I am offering as part of my detailing services. "Removal of water spotting/etching on glass".

I had the chance of performing this service on a recent customer. Here are some photos illustrating the issue. Keep in mind the rear glass was covered just like one of the close-up's of the side window.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:18 AM

343 posts, read 1,046,096 times
I prefer a good mix of water and vinegar. Works great and doesn't cost nearly as much as a detailer.

Old 07-25-2009, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
I prefer a good mix of water and vinegar. Works great and doesn't cost nearly as much as a detailer.
That also may work, depending on the severity.

Old 07-25-2009, 09:08 PM

7 posts, read 55,918 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lagoon7 View Post
Yea...if car windows were only that simple. I have tried that mix on a a 00 BMW Z3, 06 BMW 325i, 2000 Honda Accord, and a 2000 Taurus....zero success. They looked the same. Car windows of these days are different from other types of glass.

After communicating michakaveli, we established a time and he did a sample portion of my vehicle (a silver 2000 Ford Taurus). Results were beyond impressive. Sometimes you have to pay up a bit, to obtain optimum results. I'm guessing that after all the rain/water (along with whatever particules and molecules that were part of the water that made contact with the vehicle), coupled with the radiant heat from the sun, cause it to be etched into the glass.

You can't be cheap about everything. Finding the right detailer can make a world of difference on your vehicle's paint; in particular it's durability, the gloss/shine, water beading, and the longevity.

Old 07-26-2009, 05:59 AM

843 posts, read 2,747,539 times
Glad to hear you're getting some work, michakaveli. Did you get a business set up or are you doing mobile detailing?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area