Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-07-2007, 01:19 PM

10 posts, read 66,076 times

Advertisements

Hi,
I have an interview in Columbia SC next week. I am considering moving there or a suburb near Nashville. I have a 9 yr old and 16 yr old and that panics me since kids aren't so nice and I fear this will really hurt them. I also read all I can about the area but hear so much I don't know what to beleive. Is it a nice area? Safe?
Any info would be great!!!!
Thanks
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-07-2007, 05:43 PM

8,180 posts, read 14,857,597 times
As with any other city, there will be nice areas, safe areas, not-so-nice areas, not-so-safe areas, and areas in-between. There are plenty of areas in and around Columbia that are nice and safe. It all depends on what you're looking for in particular.

Old 04-07-2007, 06:01 PM

Default Any advice

any advice on areas to avoid? Schools that you would recommend?
thanks
donna

Old 04-09-2007, 05:00 PM

5 posts, read 18,808 times
Most folks will just not discuss the particular aspects of where the "bad" areas are located because they don't want to be called racist.

Drugs and gang activity have ruined many lower middle class income areas and most of their elderly residents are held as virtual hostages in their homes especially at night.

That said, there are plenty of areas in which you can leave your house unlocked when you leave for work and your children can enjoy a high quality school with a diverse student population in complete safety. You just have to do your homework in choosing where to buy a home.

Probably a more important question is where you will be working as a prime factor in deciding where to live. Columbia has several major rivers and a lake which complicates the commute to and from work.

Malfunction Junction is an area of Columbia where I-26 and I-20 meet and must have been designed by a drunken draftsman with a large crayon. I think most folks transiting that area during the rush hour contemplate either suicide, homicide or both on a daily basis or just take antidepressants.

Old 04-10-2007, 08:36 AM

1 posts, read 2,760 times
Default what areas are those I should avoid?

My husband will be relocating at the end of this week. I will be coming in June with our three kids. We were looking at Northeast Columbia,lexington area and Irmo. ARE THESE OK? We are looking for an area that is diverse and has lots of things to keep an 11 year old busy. thanks for any responses

Old 04-10-2007, 08:53 AM

1,172 posts, read 2,530,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kbridges View Post
My husband will be relocating at the end of this week. I will be coming in June with our three kids. We were looking at Northeast Columbia,lexington area and Irmo. ARE THESE OK? We are looking for an area that is diverse and has lots of things to keep an 11 year old busy. thanks for any responses
Those are all good areas with good schools. The Irmo/Dutch Fork area has a lot of new houses, and good schools. There is a fairly new YMCA in that area, where they have all the sports teams for kids of his age. Lots of subdivisions have pools in them. The beach at Lake Murray is re-opening this summer, after being closed because of the dam construction.

Old 04-21-2007, 07:46 PM

2 posts, read 3,982 times
Hi,
My husband, 12-year old daughter and I moved to Irmo last summer. Dutch Fork schools are excellent. Check out the ratings at greatschools.com and schooldigger.com. Higest possible ratings. Many good neighborhoods in the area....Belfair, Palmerston, Stonemont are a few. Good luck, and I'd be happy to answer any more questions!
Jane

Old 04-22-2007, 06:17 PM

Well I got the job offer now I am just researching everything to find out if I chose SC or TN!!!!

Any advice???
donna
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area