Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area
 [Register]
Columbia area Columbia - Lexington - Irmo
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-01-2010, 09:52 AM

4 posts, read 9,059 times

Advertisements

Hi Everyone,
I've been pondering for weeks what to do and I found this forum. I'm hoping to get some advise on the ambiance of Columbia, SC and how well it would be for raising a family (4 kids). First off, let me tell you a little about how I came to this point. In 2009, due to the economy I was laid-off from my job (47k yr) of 10yrs in Orlando, FL. Naturally, life was extremely changed and the worry I never had prior was now a reality. Over the year, I managed to get a contract job which kept up the same salary I was earning prior. The contract ended at the end of February and now I find myself back to the same situation as I was in 2009 with one exception. I received an official job offer (80K yr) in Columbia, SC. At this time, I have no outlooks in Orlando, FL for employment. Obviously, the SC salary offer is more than I ever made in the last ten years but my apprehension is more toward my family and way of life. I've read through many of the threads and have found mixed reviews on Columbia, SC. Some say it's the poorest in the country, some say there's a lack of hospitality toward transplants and some say it's a wonderful place. I know the ultimate decision to move to Columbia is mine but if any locals can give an insight to life in Columbia, it would be appreciated. Last time I moved was over 20yrs ago and you can see why I'm weary of making any move.

Thank you ahead for you insights and any info you can provide. It's appreciated more than you know.

U.N.inspector
(Michael L.)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-01-2010, 10:10 AM

1,560 posts, read 7,148,644 times
I lived in Columbia in the late '80's and early '00's. I've always loved the city and would love to move back someday. I'm partial to the Shandon and Rosewood area over some of the new development / transplant magnets in NE Columbia. You should be fine to live most anywhere (with in reason) on an $80K salary.

Columbia does have some unique geography constraints with USC in downtown, Ft Jackson to the east, the Congaree swamp and an industrial area to the south, Lake Murrey to the north west and the airport to the west. Those constraints have pushed much of the new development either into rural Lexington county or NE Richland county. There are some nice existing neighborhoods in Columbia and the surrounding cities but you do have the normal issues that an existing home comes with.

I would recommend you compare property values, schools and crime statistics to find neighborhoods you are interested in, and then visit the area. I also recommend you rent short term until you know the area better, but then I know I've struggled with that advice myself in the past....

Old 03-01-2010, 10:57 AM

899 posts, read 2,289,184 times
Going from out of work with no prospects in Orlando, FL to a job offer with a major salary increase in Columbia, SC? I wouldn't even think twice about it. Even 47k would go a lot further in the Columbia metro than Central Florida, but you're talking about 80k which would really increase your standard of living in the Columbia area I believe.

I don't know who says the Columbia area is poor--some of the rural counties outside of the Columbia area are poor but you wouldn't have any reason to go to those places anyway.

There are many nice family-oriented suburban areas around Columbia. I'd focus on looking at Irmo/Lexington/Chapin areas as well as Northeast Columbia/Blythewood. Plenty of transplants around the area as well.

For family activities you've got one of the top ranked zoos in the country, the largest childrens museum in the Southeast, some great shopping options including a nice galleria and a fairly new mixed-use lifestyle center, the very large Lake Murray, an amazingly popular outdoor river walking trail system, etc. etc.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:06 PM

1,144 posts, read 2,875,708 times
You don't mention if you have a home to sell in Florida.......carrying a mortgage and expenses there plus living expenses in SC might be difficult but, if not, you've got to go for the job offer, I think. Like my wise mama used to say, a bird in the HAND is worth two in the bush. it's hot and humid in Columbia in the summer so you won't miss the weather in Florida Good luck to you and your family and congrats on landing a job in this tough economy. THAT is not an easy feat.

Old 03-01-2010, 02:23 PM

12,927 posts, read 18,778,463 times
Columbia is a nice city with a lot to offer. I'd live in Shandon or some other in-town/downtown neighborhood and give my children the Hand Middle School-Dreher High School experience.

Old 03-01-2010, 05:48 PM

4 posts, read 9,059 times
Thank you all for your replies thus far. I don't have a house to sell. Unbelievably enough, at the age of 38, I have yet to buy my 1st home. I was going to buy a home a few years back but then the economy tanked and I held off. I may end up buying my 1st home up in SC.

I initially posted because I was nervous about the move. Unlike military or corporate families, I have never really moved but once in my life. With that type of background, I wanted to insure that the move I made was a good one for my wife and kids. I have (4)kids ranging from 15yrs-2yrs old. So naturally, I need the area to be suitable for all age ranges. So far, I'm thankful for all the positive responses. It's making the decision a lot easier to make.

I also appreciate the pads on the back on getting the position in our current state of the economy. I'll be the "only" Service Engineer for the whole South Carolina region for Christie Digital System, Inc. I anticipate driving 1500 miles a week, so I should get familiar with SC very quickly.

Thanks again and look forward to any additional responses.

U.N.inspector

Old 03-01-2010, 06:34 PM

6,830 posts, read 16,571,107 times
You can live very well in Columbia on 80K a year and, as a New Jersey native, I think you'll find most people here to be very welcoming.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > South Carolina > Columbia area