Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-13-2012, 12:27 PM

3 posts, read 9,760 times

Advertisements

My family and I are relocating from Iowa to Columbus ga. We have done so research in the area but wanna try this. Were looking for the best elementary and safest part of town to live in, my husband is willing to drive any distance to work as long as we live in a safe area..any suggestions that could be helpful? also I have 2 young kiddos and will be having a in home daycare, does Columbus offer any free or cheep entertainment??
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-13-2012, 01:59 PM

192 posts, read 385,375 times
I'm also re-locating to the area, and have had a chance to visit 2 x. I don't have children, but can't answer the schools question, but I can tell you - if your husband is working in Columbus, there's really no part of Columbus that you can live in that would be considered a long commute to anywhere else in Columbus.

Keep in mind though, for me, I commute currently close to an hour a day (metro Atlanta), so 15-20 minute drive for me is a breeze in comparison.

Old 03-13-2012, 02:50 PM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jforrester1 View Post
My family and I are relocating from Iowa to Columbus ga. We have done so research in the area but wanna try this. Were looking for the best elementary and safest part of town to live in, my husband is willing to drive any distance to work as long as we live in a safe area..any suggestions that could be helpful? also I have 2 young kiddos and will be having a in home daycare, does Columbus offer any free or cheep entertainment??
Glad to hear you are moving to Columbus! Are you guys looking to rent an apartment or purchase a house? Once I know that I can help point you in the right direction.

Old 03-14-2012, 06:48 PM

10 posts, read 21,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jforrester1 View Post
Hi there!

My family recently (end of December) moved from Nebraska. Having lived there all our lives, it was a big move! We are in Midland, and our kids go to Harris County schools. I heard before we moved, as well as many times after we moved, from locals, that Harris County has the best schools. So far we are happy! Midland is about 20-25 minutes from Columbus, depending on which area you're going to.

I am still scoping out entertainment for my kids (we have 6, 3 of whom are in school full time), so I can't offer anything on that.

I'm not sure where in Iowa you live, but I can only guess that it's very similar to Nebraska with regards to crime rates. It was strange moving here, there's just more crime overall. We live in a nice neighborhood, and yet our neighbors have had a car stolen out of their driveway, and several have had garages broken into. In a neighborhood of this caliber in Nebraska, crime would be absolutely unheard of. I don't feel unsafe by any means, but I'm not about to go walking around at night by myself, whereas in NE I absolutely felt fine with that.

That being said, the people here are just lovely. I have met so many friendly people, just walking around. And it's gorgeous here. We can't get over how beautiful the scenery is.

Good luck with everything!! It was a HUGE move for us, but we're glad we came!

Old 03-14-2012, 06:55 PM

10 posts, read 21,513 times
Oh, you have to check out Flat Rock Park. It absolutely blew our minds. Columbus Georgia : Photos of the Flat Rock Park The kids loved wading in the shallow water between enormous rocks, and there are multiple 'water slides' they had a blast in. And best of all - free!

Old 03-15-2012, 11:12 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,653,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof1XX5XY View Post
Hi there!

My family recently (end of December) moved from Nebraska. Having lived there all our lives, it was a big move! We are in Midland, and our kids go to Harris County schools. I heard before we moved, as well as many times after we moved, from locals, that Harris County has the best schools. So far we are happy! Midland is about 20-25 minutes from Columbus, depending on which area you're going to.

I am still scoping out entertainment for my kids (we have 6, 3 of whom are in school full time), so I can't offer anything on that.

I'm not sure where in Iowa you live, but I can only guess that it's very similar to Nebraska with regards to crime rates. It was strange moving here, there's just more crime overall. We live in a nice neighborhood, and yet our neighbors have had a car stolen out of their driveway, and several have had garages broken into. In a neighborhood of this caliber in Nebraska, crime would be absolutely unheard of. I don't feel unsafe by any means, but I'm not about to go walking around at night by myself, whereas in NE I absolutely felt fine with that.

That being said, the people here are just lovely. I have met so many friendly people, just walking around. And it's gorgeous here. We can't get over how beautiful the scenery is.

Glad to hear you are enjoying the city!

Old 04-06-2012, 06:39 PM

4 posts, read 25,902 times
Im currently moving to La Grange, or Columbus. Does anyone know of any decent places to live, where rent is no more than 500 for a two bedroom. Ill be relocating with my 11year old son... Does Columbus have a reliable busline, any info on that would be great

Old 04-17-2012, 06:43 AM

Default Wow!

Thanks so much for your reply! We are moving from council bluffs Iowa. I am glad that you like the area so much. My husband said the same thing about the people of columns are so nice. And just like anywhere there is crime, just don't go out walking at night. I guess in some parts of Omaha, mainly north and south I wouldn't walk at night either. I have also heard of harris county being the best schools. We are looking for house in that county, we will have to check out midland! This is also a Hugh move for us too. My oldest is 6 and youngest is 2, we are leaving a lot of family behind but it will be a warm and beautiful place to visit! Moving at the end of this summer, excited!! Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Momof1XX5XY View Post
Hi there!

Old 04-17-2012, 06:44 AM

We plan on renting a apartment u til sept then buying a house when school starts. Hopefully on Harris county? Heard they have the best schools and low crime?

Old 01-25-2013, 07:14 AM

2 posts, read 3,967 times
Okay...I'm getting scared now. My husband has accepted a job in Opelika, AL and the guys he interviewed with has been telling him "Move to Columbus, GA...it's great there!" BUT...I'm not hearing anything that's GREAT about Columbus at all! We currently live in Parker, CO where it's absolutely wonderful...and I feel like we're going to be moving to the ghetto! We're supposed to be moving in the next month or so (by March 1st) and I have no idea where to live. This is very frustrating!! Maybe I should start looking in AL...though, that may not be any better... We are looking for a home with 3-4 bedrooms, 2 baths, a formal dining room, an attached garage, and a fenced yard for our two dogs. We can pay up to $1350/mo. Having a hard time finding a nice area without all the crime and break-ins. Plus, we need a good high school. HELP!!

Last edited by ctactac; 01-25-2013 at 07:15 AM.. Reason: I forgot to add something
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA