Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-22-2012, 05:23 PM

215 posts, read 220,006 times

Advertisements

nedergras is pretty accurate on that spray paint picture of crime lol.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-23-2012, 08:45 AM

130 posts, read 243,611 times
I agree the map was pretty accurate but he missed certain spots on his map but for the most part I wouldn't say he's over exaggerating. That's the thing I come on here every now and then but I can't help notice certain things I guess when I step out of the house and make my way out the yard I see a different Columbus and if I was to go into detail I can almost guarantee Id be accused of over exaggerating the truth. Columbus is not as bad as alot of places but it sure as hell ain't the best place to live in GA by any means I'm not gonna sugar coat it I'm a say it exactly how I see it. Midland is a nice part of the city that is true more prestige than anything once again some of what Seadub said and even Columbus1984 has said I can't really agree with but that's just me. Sure Midland would be a good place to live if you can afford it which it seems like you could, but don't let people fool you into thinking that everyone that lives south of Macon Road is a undesirable if you haven't heard it by now if you do decide to move down here you will hear it soon enough. As far as cultural differences or racial differences I gotta say for a city next to the largest infantry base in America it can feel segregated at times and there is racism like anywhere else that's not new, amongst blacks, whites, mexicans and puerto ricans it'll be evident but not anything to the extreme. I gotta say Columbus is progressing for the better which I'm glad to see but I wish the powers that be would focus more on fixing up the already established parts of town, for example the southside and the southeast side I understand the whole theory of building north but that's no reason for the rest of the areas to suffer. You'll be fine though wherever you choose to live at the end of the day it's all what you make of it don't let anyone tell you different, this year has been a wild one so far but as far as how it was a mere few years ago (2007-2008) we're heading towards a more positive direction. Welcome to Columbus.

Old 08-25-2012, 05:13 PM

12 posts, read 16,939 times
Thanks very much. JMP

Old 08-29-2012, 01:50 PM

4,036 posts, read 9,245,859 times
Columbus is segregated but not it is becoming less so. Also the Midwest and northeast are WAY more segregated than the south.

I did substitute teaching years ago so if my info is outdated forgive me but from what I can remember I'd say that your best bets high school wise are Northside and Shaw. Shaw has a communications magnet if your daughter is interested in journalism. Hardaway is starting to lose its reputation but it's a good school but not at the top of the list. I have ADHD too and I honestly don't think Hardaway was the best school for me looking back. Shaw and Northside are way more laidback Columbus is the top rated school in Columbus. However, it is a rigorous all magnet school. That might not be the best environment for someone with ADHD. You know your daughter than I.

Columbus State is a great school that has improved by leaps and bounds since I was a freshman. It was still a 4 year community college. Now it's on the move.

Old 08-29-2012, 06:20 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,846,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by terrence81 View Post
Columbus is segregated but not it is becoming less so. Also the Midwest and northeast are WAY more segregated than the south.

I did substitute teaching years ago so if my info is outdated forgive me but from what I can remember I'd say that your best bets high school wiare Northside and Shaw. Shaw has a communications magnet if your daughter is interested in journalism. se Hardaway is starting to lose its reputation but it's a good school but not at the top of the list. I have ADHD too and I honestly don't think Hardaway was the best school for me looking back. Shaw and Northside are way more laidback Columbus is the top rated school in Columbus. However, it is a rigorous all magnet school. That might not be the best environment for someone with ADHD. You know your daughter than I.

Columbus State is a great school that has improved by leaps and bounds since I was a freshman. It was still a 4 year community college. Now it's on the move.
Yeah,I don't think someone will fit in well at Columbus High with ADHD. Shaw seems like a better option.

Quote:
Hardaway is starting to lose its reputation but it's a good school but not at the top of the list.
Lol! I know people who will pick Hardaway over Columbus High. I think Columbus High is the most hated school in Columbus. Their private/public system is the reason.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:41 AM

5 posts, read 5,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzerMP View Post
Hi. I'm looking at a great job opportunity at Columbus State University - Columbus, GA not OH - possible move this December. Wondering about best high schools [my daugher is a HS sophomore, good grades, serious students though dealing with ADHD]. She is also very active with equine activities. Seeking info on neighborhoods to avoid due to crime, welcoming attitude of the locals [I'm originally from Tennesse but lived in the Midwest for decades, my wife is from ND]. Thanks in advance for comments.
Move to Smiths Station AL and Commute to Columbus 10 min max. Best schools, quiet, rural, and great community.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:43 AM

5 posts, read 5,479 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nedergras View Post
Areas to avoid in regards to crime in red:

HAHAHAH thats the whole city.

Old 09-21-2012, 05:36 AM

196 posts, read 231,707 times
Lol I would not live below exit 10. You have everything you need out there and it gets you out of the ghetto of the inner city. I spent 3 1/2 years there and rarely ever ventured below exit 10 after a couple experiences at exit 4 walmart haha.

Old 09-21-2012, 12:04 PM

2,663 posts, read 4,846,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cozzy View Post
Lol I would not live below exit 10. You have everything you need out there and it gets you out of the ghetto of the inner city. I spent 3 1/2 years there and rarely ever ventured below exit 10 after a couple experiences at exit 4 walmart haha.
exaggeration.

Midtown is a lot cheaper than North Columbus. Plus Midtown have amenities,North Columbus doesn't.

Old 09-21-2012, 10:28 PM

196 posts, read 231,707 times
Lol, it is cheaper for a reason...keep that in mind. All the amenities you need are on exit 10.

I actually lived over in Phenix City at the steeplecrest apartments while I was there, and while it wasn't terrible, the hood was definitely starting to move in when I was getting out of there.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA