Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2018, 08:58 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times

Advertisements

Uptown Columbus has been working with the city to relax the drinking laws. The organization wants to create an open container district within Uptown’s footprint.

Uptown Columbus believes that relaxing the drinking laws will:

1) Add to the vibrancy and attractiveness of Uptown for businesses, residents, and visitors.

2) Create an atmosphere that is a positive-sum for Uptown merchants. Other cities' merchants have experienced increased sales as a result.

3) Serve as a recruitment tool for new restaurants & businesses, as well as visitors.

4) Model the same success seen in other communities like Opelika, Dalton, Duluth, Huntsville, Montgomery, Mobile, Roswell, Savannah, Smyrna & Decatur that have passed similar ordinances.

This is a fantastic idea that I support completely. This would definitely add to the vibrancy of downtown and continue to make our downtown a better and more inviting place.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2018, 10:27 AM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
Uptown Columbus has been working with the city to relax the drinking laws. The organization wants to create an open container district within Uptown’s footprint.

Uptown Columbus believes that relaxing the drinking laws will:

1) Add to the vibrancy and attractiveness of Uptown for businesses, residents, and visitors.

2) Create an atmosphere that is a positive-sum for Uptown merchants. Other cities' merchants have experienced increased sales as a result.

3) Serve as a recruitment tool for new restaurants & businesses, as well as visitors.

4) Model the same success seen in other communities like Opelika, Dalton, Duluth, Huntsville, Montgomery, Mobile, Roswell, Savannah, Smyrna & Decatur that have passed similar ordinances.

This is a fantastic idea that I support completely. This would definitely add to the vibrancy of downtown and continue to make our downtown a better and more inviting place.
This makes sense to me and is certainly worth implementing. If problems occur, it can always be reversed.

Old 03-09-2018, 12:37 PM

1,406 posts, read 1,856,432 times
I think the THOUGHT is a good idea, but it gets a bit messy and there is the same amount of confusion when you start requiring Uptown Columbus-provided stickers AND you can't bring drinks in businesses that don't offer alcohol. I'm all for it, but it's purpose is built around the 'confusion' between when you can and can't have open container. Also, aren't the blocks normally closed during these times (e.g. no cars moving in and out)

Old 03-09-2018, 02:55 PM

3,406 posts, read 1,905,678 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers3 View Post
I think the THOUGHT is a good idea, but it gets a bit messy and there is the same amount of confusion when you start requiring Uptown Columbus-provided stickers AND you can't bring drinks in businesses that don't offer alcohol. I'm all for it, but it's purpose is built around the 'confusion' between when you can and can't have open container. Also, aren't the blocks normally closed during these times (e.g. no cars moving in and out)
All good points to ponder! And I'm for it, but what I'm hearing is not to be too hasty without carefully considering the pros and cons, and thinking about the possible unintended consequences.

Old 03-09-2018, 04:25 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,165,732 times
The proposed area would be restricted to:

▪ Broadway from Ninth Street to 14th Street.

▪ First Avenue from 12th Street to 10th Street.

▪ Front Avenue from 10th Street to 14th Street.

▪ Bay Avenue from 12th Street to 10th Street.

▪ 12th Street from Second Avenue to Bay Avenue.

▪ 10th Street from Second Avenue to Bay Avenue.

Here are the highlights of the proposed ordinance:

▪ The beverages would have to be in a shatterproof cup no larger than 16 ounces. Each cup would be required to have a sticker on it, provided by Uptown Columbus Inc. and placed there by the establishment that sold the beverage.

▪ No alcoholic beverages purchased outside of the entertainment district shall be allowed in open containers in the entertainment district.

▪ Alcohol purchased from package stores or growler stores that have an off-premise license are not allowed in open containers in the entertainment district.

▪ Residents of downtown loft apartments and condominiums and the Columbus Historic District would not be permitted to bring alcohol from their homes in open containers in the entertainment district.

▪ Only one drink per person at a time could be purchased and carried out of a restaurant or bar.

▪ It does not include the Chattahoochee Riverwalk or riverfront.

▪ Consuming alcohol in a vehicle is not permitted.

▪ An open container can not be carried into an establishment that does not serve alcohol. An example that was used: someone could not have an open container, walk out of a restaurant and then take that beverage into a retail store in the entertainment district.

Columbus Councilor Mimi Woodson, whose district includes downtown and the proposed district, attended the meeting, as did a number of city department heads.

Last edited by Fountain-of-youth; 03-09-2018 at 04:40 PM..

Old 03-09-2018, 04:57 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,165,732 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by amyers3 View Post
Yes, the thought is good. But some of the restrictions stink.

Quote:
▪ The beverages would have to be in a shatterproof cup no larger than 16 ounces. Each cup would be required to have a sticker on it, provided by Uptown Columbus Inc. and placed there by the establishment that sold the beverage.

▪ No alcoholic beverages purchased outside of the entertainment district shall be allowed in open containers in the entertainment district.

▪ Alcohol purchased from package stores or growler stores that have an off-premise license are not allowed in open containers in the entertainment district.

▪ Residents of downtown loft apartments and condominiums and the Columbus Historic District would not be permitted to bring alcohol from their homes in open containers in the entertainment district.

▪ It does not include the Chattahoochee Riverwalk or riverfront.

Old 05-03-2018, 08:34 AM

30 posts, read 20,013 times
Do we really need to promote alcohol consumption any more than it already is for the sake of dollar?
The city is eaten up with booze,drugs etc.
I have spoken to numerous local eatery owners from 70-90's that said their profits were well above average without sunday sales etc.(chic fil a is a great example)
They are just creating new problems for local taxpayers to deal with while they stuff the money in their pockets and whistle down the road.
I guess their next project with be free non alcoholic beer for weekly promoted "teen nights" which will be a great gateway drink for their future customers.
Not good.

Last edited by Ethan Sanders; 05-03-2018 at 08:54 AM..

Old 05-03-2018, 10:33 AM

1,054 posts, read 881,948 times
Haha, that's a great piece of satire, Ethan. Thanks for the chuckles.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:37 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Haha, that's a great piece of satire, Ethan. Thanks for the chuckles.
Haha. It’s always a good laugh when he emerges from underneath that rock after a six-month hibernation.

Old 05-03-2018, 10:53 AM

30 posts, read 20,013 times
Sadly the laughs are you guys you just don't have enough sense to know it.
Comments like these let folks in other parts of the country know what it is really like in Columbus.
Thanks for your input and support..it helps my cause.

Check 84's under a rock comments he has made over the years....might break a national record.
He agrees with anyone who follows his follies...lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA