Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2018, 08:05 AM

41 posts, read 29,827 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
New housing stock is being built the way it is because that's what lots of people buy. The demand to build duplexes, when there are already 80,000 "American Small House" style homes around the city is close to 0.

Columbus' most expensive restaurants charge about 40% of what Atlanta's most expensive do. And you can count on one hand how many expensive restaurants Columbus has, and they are all doing very well, so I don't follow your logic behind complaining about them or comparing them to Atlanta prices. I promise you a night out in Columbus still costs far less than a night out in Atlanta. Drink prices for one are close to half as expensive, especially at the nicer establishments.

If you don't understand the smashing success the whitewater course has brought to the city, probably should just google it. The reputation it has draws curious families and veteran creek-hippies from all over the southeast every weekend.

That is simply not true at all and leads me to believe that you don't even realize everything that is available to do. Even a three day weekend would be tough, but that's at least a bit more realistic.

If by magic you mean creating TAD industrial parks next to Benning, yeah wizards. The city leadership keeps trying to fix taxes and the city population keeps voting against it, until the property tax freeze is lifted, Columbus will keep having restrained budgets that are outpaced by modern demands of city this size.
Empty lots are selling in the Old Town because apparently that's what buyers want. The reality is the market isn't what business leaders think it is. There's still small new houses being built in the Montgomery market, homes that were available under the defunct Pinnacle brand that you'd find in South Columbus. No garage, single story ranches.

These Atlanta spec homes are all the rage but Columbus isn't Atlanta. Most buyers simply don't have the need for so much living space.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2018, 08:14 AM

3,408 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:
New housing stock is being built the way it is because that's what lots of people buy. The demand to build duplexes, when there are already 80,000 "American Small House" style homes around the city is close to 0.

Columbus' most expensive restaurants charge about 40% of what Atlanta's most expensive do. And you can count on one hand how many expensive restaurants Columbus has, and they are all doing very well, so I don't follow your logic behind complaining about them or comparing them to Atlanta prices. I promise you a night out in Columbus still costs far less than a night out in Atlanta. Drink prices for one are close to half as expensive, especially at the nicer establishments.

If you don't understand the smashing success the whitewater course has brought to the city, probably should just google it. The reputation it has draws curious families and veteran creek-hippies from all over the southeast every weekend.

That is simply not true at all and leads me to believe that you don't even realize everything that is available to do. Even a three day weekend would be tough, but that's at least a bit more realistic.

If by magic you mean creating TAD industrial parks next to Benning, yeah wizards. The city leadership keeps trying to fix taxes and the city population keeps voting against it, until the property tax freeze is lifted, Columbus will keep having restrained budgets that are outpaced by modern demands of city this size.
JayHey, I was thinking about a response to wenlo but read your response first. And I'm glad I did because you provided a great response! In particular; to wenlo's comment about being able to do everything there is to do in Columbus in just one day. Obviously, he or she hasn't seen my "MANY things to do in Columbus, GA" post in this forum! I lived in Atlanta (Conyers) for ten years, and worked near Brookwood Station. No doubt, Atlanta is a great city of the world, but I don't miss it at all. You're right about the high-end restaurant prices, and there are Atlanta folks that come here to eat---and get away from their big city hassles and stresses. Columbus needs to market itself in Atlanta as a great getaway for those very reasons! It also needs to get the military families that come here for graduations and reunions to "linger longer and discover Columbus, GA!" We also need to continue to expand off of the great success of whitewater (remember all those naysayers who said it would fail??). Some of wenlo's comments may be warranted, but certainly not all. No city is perfect. Thanks for helping me defend our nice city.

Old 03-28-2018, 02:36 PM

197 posts, read 204,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbusboy8 View Post
JayHey, I was thinking about a response to wenlo but read your response first. And I'm glad I did because you provided a great response! In particular; to wenlo's comment about being able to do everything there is to do in Columbus in just one day. Obviously, he or she hasn't seen my "MANY things to do in Columbus, GA" post in this forum! I lived in Atlanta (Conyers) for ten years, and worked near Brookwood Station. No doubt, Atlanta is a great city of the world, but I don't miss it at all. You're right about the high-end restaurant prices, and there are Atlanta folks that come here to eat---and get away from their big city hassles and stresses. Columbus needs to market itself in Atlanta as a great getaway for those very reasons! It also needs to get the military families that come here for graduations and reunions to "linger longer and discover Columbus, GA!" We also need to continue to expand off of the great success of whitewater (remember all those naysayers who said it would fail??). Some of wenlo's comments may be warranted, but certainly not all. No city is perfect. Thanks for helping me defend our nice city.
You didn't exactly get the Atlanta experience living way out in Conyers. Conyers is a working class outer suburb that has pretty much nothing to do. Conyers is actually pretty similar to Columbus.

Old 03-28-2018, 08:09 PM

3,408 posts, read 1,902,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
You didn't exactly get the Atlanta experience living way out in Conyers. Conyers is a working class outer suburb that has pretty much nothing to do. Conyers is actually pretty similar to Columbus.
Although I lived in little ole Conyers, my wife and I spent a lot of time all over the city of Atlanta, including spending a lot of time visiting her Mom, who lived in Buckhead, near Lenox and Phipps Plaza. I also have a brother-in-law and a sister who live in Atlanta. Thus, I feel qualified to talk about the Atlanta experience. When are you moving to our state capitol?

Old 03-29-2018, 08:54 AM

297 posts, read 259,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lethalhipster9 View Post
Conyers is not similar to Columbus at all IMO and I used to live there. I think you just don’t like Columbus, and there’s nothing wrong with that...it’s not for everybody and it’s clearly not for you! And as a young person I do understand some of the concerns you mentioned, but those are things are pretty much characteristic of most mid-sized southern markets not just specific to Columbus. Columbus (again, as a mid sized southern market) is not bad off BUT if you’re looking for characteristics of a alpha world city/metro with 6+ Million people in a city of this size then you may be in the wrong place. I agree that we have room for improvement in various areas (as most places do) BUT there are a number of things that are nice about Columbus that are continuously overlooked. As a younger person, you don’t want to be miserable anywhere you are; if Columbus makes you that unhappy you should explore a move to an area that makes you happy.

Old 03-29-2018, 09:28 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,645,897 times
There is absolutely nothing comparable between Columbus and Conyers. Columbus is a much more urban area with a defined downtown. Conyers is nothing more than suburban sprawl.

Old 03-29-2018, 11:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1984 View Post
There is absolutely nothing comparable between Columbus and Conyers. Columbus is a much more urban area with a defined downtown. Conyers is nothing more than suburban sprawl.
I have no idea about Conyers but Columbus has to get some establishments thst appeal to millennials. Video games are big, so why not a arcade with retro games to get away from the modern equivalent that involves xbox live or downloading updates. Not talking about Hollywood connection because it's too family oriented, an arcade that also serves beer.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:12 PM

By the way a arcade bar should be downtown similar to the 1up in Denver.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:14 PM

1,054 posts, read 880,580 times
There are plenty of places that appeal to millenials already, more are always good though. An arcade restaurant would be cool, akin to Atlanta's Joystick or Huntsville's Pints and Pixels, something like that opening downtown would be great.

Old 03-29-2018, 12:17 PM

Quote:
There are plenty of places that appeal to millenials already, more are always good though. An arcade restaurant would be cool, akin to Atlanta's Joystick or Huntsville's Pints and Pixels, something like that opening downtown would be great.
The more establishments downtown the better. Columbus is too suburban oriented as it is. I was thinking an indoor skate park with a bar but liability would make it impossible. Maybe a juice bar? Something where people hang around like a coffeeshop but different.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA