Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2018, 05:25 PM

2,250 posts, read 2,167,235 times

Advertisements

The Chattahoochee Valley is making a break onto the small screen and really anywhere you can watch Netflix.

Netflix has announced a new family comedy that has just begun production in Los Angeles.

‘Family Reunion’ will be headlined by Emmy Award winner Loretta Devine and Tia Mowry-Hardrict, of ‘Sister, Sister' fame.

According to a press release, Mowry-Hardrict will play Cocoa McKellan, a Seattle mother who travels alongside her former football-playing husband and their four kids travel down to the McKellan Family Reunion in small town Columbus, Georgia.

Netflix officials say ‘Family Reunion’ aims to highlight the importance of discovering and connecting with your roots and getting to know the family they didn’t even realize they were missing.

“We look forward to bringing families together to enjoy the hilarious and heartwarming stories of this multi-generational family living together," said Melissa Cobb, Vice President of Kids and Family at Netflix.

The series' production team will also feature an all-black team of writers.

‘Family Reunion’ is executive produced and created by Meg DeLoatch, who worked on Netflix’s ‘Fuller House.'

“I have a dream cast and thanks to my incredibly talented group of executives at Netflix, I am having the most supportive and creatively fulfilling experience of my career,” added DeLoatch.

Devine plays the loving, but strict family matriarch M’Dear.

The McKellan family is rounded out by Anthony Alabi as husband and father, Moz, Talia Jackson as 14-year-old Jade, Isaiah Russell-Bailey as 12-year-old Shaka, Cameron ‘C.J.’ Wright as 10-year-old Mazzi and Jordyn Raya James as 8-year-old Ami.

No release date has been set for the show.

New Netflix comedy to be set in
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2018, 06:08 PM

1,054 posts, read 882,472 times
That's cool, I wonder how much the city will be used as a backdrop/setting. Will the McKellan clan tailgate at the Fountain City Classic or end up on stage at Family Day in the Park or raft down the Hooch?

Old 10-25-2018, 03:56 AM

176 posts, read 157,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
That's cool, I wonder how much the city will be used as a backdrop/setting. Will the McKellan clan tailgate at the Fountain City Classic or end up on stage at Family Day in the Park or raft down the Hooch?
None of Columbus will be used. They are filming everything in California. Only the name Columbus is being used and it is being portrayed as a small rural country Georgia town. In my opinion this benefits the city in no way.

Old 10-25-2018, 04:27 AM

5,616 posts, read 8,655,794 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1999 View Post
None of Columbus will be used. They are filming everything in California. Only the name Columbus is being used and it is being portrayed as a small rural country Georgia town. In my opinion this benefits the city in no way.
Agreed. Small town? Ridiculous. Not excited about this at all. Apparently the people putting this together are highly confused.

Old 10-25-2018, 05:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Columbus1999 View Post
Where'd you get that info?

Old 10-25-2018, 06:06 AM

176 posts, read 157,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JayHey View Post
Where'd you get that info?
https://www.tvinsider.com/724051/tia...union-netflix/

https://deadline.com/2018-netflix-pilots/

The articles say production has already began in Los Angeles. Also read into the part where it says she travels from the big city to her small town of Columbus, Georgia for the family reunion.

Old 10-25-2018, 06:22 AM

That's the same info in the article above though.

I have no doubt that most of the filming will be done on set at Netflix HQ, but wouldn't be shocked to see outdoor shots used around Columbus or at least Georgia - Netflix has filmed a bunch on location around the state.

I'm not going to get twisted in the wind over a Hollywood press release referring to Columbus as a small town, that does not really equate with rural country town, especially to the type of people who call LA home. And besides, Columbus isn't a cast member of the show and any real or fake detail about the city doesn't really matter.

Hollywood can make a show about Hollywood and film it all in Vancouver - it's just neat to have a show set in Columbus, regardless of how much or little the real Columbus actually plays a role.

Old 10-25-2018, 07:06 AM

967 posts, read 1,074,526 times
I'm a bit worried by seeing them list it as a small town. That sounds like they are going to portray Columbus as being like a farm town with a population of 3,000 and not the mid sized city it actually is.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:17 AM

297 posts, read 260,252 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DWColumbus View Post
I'm a bit worried by seeing them list it as a small town. That sounds like they are going to portray Columbus as being like a farm town with a population of 3,000 and not the mid sized city it actually is.
Sadly that is the perception many people from large cities have of Columbus and other peer cities, especially in the south. Even within Georgia, many people in Atlanta area (not everyone of course) have no idea that civilization exists beyond the metro; laughable to me but true. I was on the phone with a friend (also from Georgia) recently and mentioned stopping by Macy’s before going home and her response was “Columbus has a mall??” She was actually shocked (again, this was a Georgia native).... As far as the production itself, I guess it is what it is. “Small town” is very subjective so it could go eitehr way as far as how it is portrayed.

Old 10-25-2018, 08:32 AM

967 posts, read 1,074,526 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheYoungProfessional View Post
Sadly that is the perception many people from large cities have of Columbus and other peer cities, especially in the south. Even within Georgia, many people in Atlanta area (not everyone of course) have no idea that civilization exists beyond the metro; laughable to me but true. I was on the phone with a friend (also from Georgia) recently and mentioned stopping by Macy’s before going home and her response was “Columbus has a mall??” She was actually shocked (again, this was a Georgia native).... As far as the production itself, I guess it is what it is. “Small town” is very subjective so it could go eitehr way as far as how it is portrayed.

I've even seen people on these forums making comments about Columbus who clearly have no idea what we have here. I think this city need to really strive to make it known what is in Columbus and what it truly is like here. It being falsely portrayed in media as being much smaller and rural than it actually is would do far more harm than good.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Georgia > Columbus, GA