Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2011, 02:14 PM

5,963 posts, read 12,431,948 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal View Post
I'm on this forum to raise a call for action. Why? Because most of what I've read and heard deflects from the tragedy that happened to the majestic and endangered animals. I read and hear very little about regret for those who DIED. The focus hasn't been on, "What is wrong with my community, county, and state that such carnage happened?" The focus hasn't seen to have involved much self reflection nor much community reflection about WHY did I/we let such a known and dangerous situation reach such dangerous proportions? Instead, the focus has mostly been on, "Sheriff Lutz did such a great job" or "I'm so happy I didn't get eaten by a lion."

The tragedy didn't happen to people. It happened to endangered animals who did NOTHING wrong but exist. They have no voice, and apparently the people who lived right around them didn't care enough to take the reins and find an effective way to deal with the ticking time bomb RIGHT UNDER THEIR NOSES. The fact that Terry Thompson had these animals wasn't a surprise. Hardly. Mostly what I've read and heard are excuses and VERY LITTLE ACCOUNTABILITY. That's why I'm on here.

What good are you doing being 'on here' ? I love animals too, but what's done is done. Why don't you complain to Sherrif Lutz? Tell him and those responsible how you feel. You keep basically posting the same things over and over. What good is it to post and complain here; you made your point. So now take it where it counts. You are 'beating a dead horse.' Excuse the pun.

BTW what part of Texas are you in?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2011, 02:18 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nativetexasgal [COLOR="DarkRed"
The situation with Terry Thompson was not KNOWN to me until this tragedy happened. What I'm trying my best to understand is WHY people--law enforcement officials, humane society officials, court officials, elected political officials--did not do more than they did to alleviate this ticking time bomb RIGHT UNDER THEIR NOSES?
They couldn't because the law was not on their side in this situation.

I see little to nothing but excuses about why it happened--very little self or community reflection or regret. Most of what I've read is the "Sheriff Lutz is a hero" and "My kid didn't get eaten by a tiger." Any law enforcement could swoop in and REACT to a situation. A real and effective LEADER seeks to take care of problems already in his midst. That is the difference between being REACTIVE and PROACTIVE. The Thompson "farm" problem was already KNOWN. No one right there did anything to take care of that ticking time bomb ready to go off. Instead, the rest of the world got to see priceless and endangered animals blown away in a senseless carnage.
You are not going to find many city leaders on city-data.

I don't blame the "regular people" who knew zero about what was going on with the Thompson "farm."
All you are going to find on here is regular people.

However, officials who did know about the problem and did not do enough to solve the problem are NOT heroes.
They have to follow the laws, or then they would not be police they'd be criminals.

They are merely people who reacted, such as Lutz did. Thank God he did and nobody was injured.

Anyone with gun training can go in and shoot someone or something dead. You've got to be kidding me.

A leader determines HOW to avoid the situation to begin with, ESPECIALLY WHEN THE SITUATION IS ALREADY APPARENT.
You should run for office and try it.

That is the bottom line of what I'm getting at--stuff like this will happen again and other situations similar to it if your community, county, and state don't become proactive.
Then why don't you do it.

I do that in my community--I'm involved and I don't turn a blind eye to problems.

Well, on HERE you don't, you just rant and how is it you know people in Ohio turn a blind eye to animal cruelty? Have you asked? Ohio has Jack Hanna for goodness sake, like he isn't pro active for animals>About Jack Hanna

Old 10-22-2011, 02:19 PM

2,491 posts, read 4,467,349 times
Quote:
People in the community and county where this horror happened need to self reflect as individuals and collectively WHY this happened. It's fine to be relieved that "I didn't get eaten by a tiger," but why is there not MORE anger and frustration directed toward the people who should have prevented this from happening in the first place? Mostly what I've seen and read is "Sheriff Lutz is a hero," etc. There is nothing heroic about shooting something dead, especially if you have weapons training. It's a matter of using the training you already have. Real heroes prevent this garbage from happening to begin with, ESPECIALLY WHEN THEY ALREADY HAVE PRIOR KNOWLEDGE OF THE SITUATION.
Exactly.

There are people who would have planned for this inevitable situation and handled it with much more care for dozens of endangered animals.

Then there was Sheriff Lutz who, unfortunately, didn't do anything right.

Old 10-22-2011, 02:23 PM

275 posts, read 416,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
What good are you doing being 'on here' ? I love animals too, but what's done is done. Why don't you complain to Sherrif Lutz? Tell him and those responsible how you feel. You keep basically posting the same things over and over. What good is it to post and complain here; you made your point. So now take it where it counts. You are 'beating a dead horse.' Excuse the pun.

BTW what part of Texas are you in?
I keep reading the same types of postings repeatedly, meaning I don't see much accountability being demanded of Sheriff Lutz and other officials who should have done something much sooner to prevent this tragedy. They knew about the situation, yet they are continually praised despite their failures and shortcomings to deal with a situation that was a disaster waiting to happen. That is showing neither heroism nor leadership. Where are the LARGE numbers of people calling Lutz and other officials to account for WHY this happened on their watch? No, what I see and hear is praise for his and other officials' reaction and little to no criticism for their complete LACK of being proactive.

It is obvious that if a slaughter of this nature occurred, something was very wrong to begin with. That's why asking the "why" questions is important rather than saying, "Well, let's move on . . . " I don't see many people wanting to ask the tough questions of officials about why this situation was allowed to deteriorate the way it did. It's way too easy to say "let's move on." That's the quick and easy way to approach the aftermath--ask the tough questions NOW that should have been asked before, and you're likely to get accountability and change.

Demand some accountability about WHY this happened, and I'll be happy to go away!

Old 10-22-2011, 02:30 PM

Quote:
I keep reading the same types of postings repeatedly, meaning I don't see much accountability being demanded of Sheriff Lutz and other officials who should have done something much sooner to prevent this tragedy. They knew about the situation, yet they are continually praised despite their failures and shortcomings to deal with a situation that was a disaster waiting to happen. That is showing neither heroism nor leadership. Where are the LARGE numbers of people calling Lutz and other officials to account for WHY this happened on their watch? No, what I see and hear is praise for his and other officials' reaction and little to no criticism for their complete LACK of being proactive.

Demand some accountability about WHY this happened, and I'll be happy to go away!
Well you could demand it yourself and contact various animal groups for backing. If you do, don't contact PETA please; they are useless. Again, you appear to be wasting your time here and getting nowhere. Have 'you' written or called Sherrif Lutz to express your feelings?

Old 10-22-2011, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
[/color]
Well, on HERE you don't, you just rant and how is it you know people in Ohio turn a blind eye to animal cruelty? Have you asked? Ohio has Jack Hanna for goodness sake, like he isn't pro active for animals>About Jack Hanna
The Zanesville, Ohio area obviously turned a blind eye to what was going on at the Thompson "farm." If a blind eye wasn't turned to the situation, would the massacre at and near that "farm" have occurred? If continual, proactive measures had been taken to to deal with the issues, this event wouldn't have happened, and Zanesville, Ohio would not be on the world's radar.

I don't have to ask whether at least some people in Ohio have turned a blind eye to animal cruelty. Why? Because the answer was on media all over the WORLD. As the old saying goes, pictures are worth a thousand words, and the photo of the dead animals strewn all over the side of the road does NOT lie. Ask yourself why Sheriff Lutz was so perturbed that the photo got out? If he had nothing to fear or be ashamed of, then why react the way he did to the release of the photo?

Old 10-22-2011, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alaskapat528 View Post
Well you could demand it yourself and contact various animal groups for backing. If you do, don't contact PETA please; they are useless. Again, you appear to be wasting your time here and getting nowhere. Have 'you' written or called Sherrif Lutz to express your feelings?
Yes, I've already done those things. The only reason I'm on here is because I can't believe the lack of accountability people in the Zanesville area are holding their own officials to. They don't seem to get that they need to be asking tough questions about WHY this happened in their midst. Nothing happens in a vacuum. Most all of what I read is handwringing about "I didn't get eaten by a tiger" or "Sheriff Lutz is soooo heroic." He and his staff had firearms, and when you shoot something enough, it ends up dead. It's not rocket science. It would've been far more heroic for officials to solve this KNOWN problem before allowing it to spin out of control.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:11 PM

8,390 posts, read 11,599,276 times
Quote:
The Zanesville, Ohio area obviously turned a blind eye to what was going on at the Thompson "farm." If a blind eye wasn't turned to the situation, would the massacre at and near that "farm" have occurred? If continual, proactive measures had been taken to to deal with the issues, this event wouldn't have happened, and Zanesville, Ohio would not be on the world's radar.

I don't have to ask whether at least some people in Ohio have turned a blind eye to animal cruelty. Why? Because the answer was on media all over the WORLD. As the old saying goes, pictures are worth a thousand words, and the photo of the dead animals strewn all over the side of the road does NOT lie. Ask yourself why Sheriff Lutz was so perturbed that the photo got out? If he had nothing to fear or be ashamed of, then why react the way he did to the release of the photo?
Probably so nuts like you wouldn't start coming out of the wood work attacking a town of people is what I"m guessin, I'm thankful nobody was injured or killed. You have no idea what the people in that town are saying really, just what's news worthy. Why aren't you posting on the forum that is about changing the law in Ohio? I posted a link for ya.

You seem to need the last word and then you'll go away, so you can have it after you reply to me. My last word of advice to you is to stop barking up the wrong tree, you'll never catch that cat if you don't. Rant away and good luck to ya, hope you get the answers you are searching for.

Old 10-22-2011, 03:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoppySead View Post
Probably so nuts like you wouldn't start coming out of the wood work attacking a town of people is what I"m guessin, I'm thankful nobody was injured or killed. You have no idea what the people in that town are saying really, just what's news worthy. Why aren't you posting on the forum that is about changing the law in Ohio? I posted a link for ya.

You seem to need the last word and then you'll go away, so you can have it after you reply to me. My last word of advice to you is to stop barking up the wrong tree, you'll never catch that cat if you don't. Rant away and good luck to ya, hope you get the answers you are searching for.
Poppysead,

Name calling is a crude substitute for argumentation. Writing "so nuts like you" is intended by you to devalue me, but you are actually devaluing yourself. As well, I think name calling is against the rules of this forum. I have a name on here, as do you. I address you as Poppysead, and my name on here is nativetexasgal.

And, again, if Sheriff Lutz was truly OK with what he said he and his staff had to do, then why the embarrassment over the photo? It is what it is--reality. Apparently, Zanesville and its county don't like the reflection the photo casts on them. I wouldn't either, honestly. The reflection it cast on that part of Ohio is not positive.

What I would be doing is asking A LOT of questions to my local officials and asking WHY this incident ever happened? If laws didn't exist to cover this situation (and from what I've read/heard, that is not the case), there is ALWAYS more than can be done to rectify a bad situation. If you and others truly believe that laws did not cover the situation at hand, that's when citizens open your mouths and BEGIN DEMANDING CHANGE AND ACTION to those above you in the community and governmental food chain. Americans have never had trouble speaking up and demanding change. You have to ask yourself why in the world Zanesville and its county citizens and officials didn't go to the media, swarm the legislature, and swarm the governor's office with phone calls, letters, protests, emails, etc. with demands that something be done about the Thompson "farm." That's what you do when you have a ticking time bomb right under your nose. You don't sit there like a bump on a log and wait until the bomb goes off, and then in the aftermath of the bomb say repeatedly, "I'm glad a tiger didn't eat me" and "Sheriff Lutz is a hero." No, you ask why in the world did this happen in the first place?

Old 10-22-2011, 04:15 PM

No offense people, but this is how we treat animals up here.

Anchorage dentist performs root canal on tiger: Anchorage | Alaska news at adn.com
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus