Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2009, 10:48 PM

40 posts, read 215,917 times

Advertisements

Hello, Can anyone give a detail break down of this city.

Crime
schools
religion
demographics
shopping/strip malls
weather

and anything you can add. Thank you so muc
h Good place to live?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2009, 11:42 AM

150 posts, read 981,031 times
Boring, boring, boring. The weather is pretty much the same as Columbus. Pataskala seems a little more dreary to me, but I am allergic to the burbs!

It's 20 miles east of Columbus, so it's pretty cheap. You can get a lot of square feet for a low price, but many of the homes are of the cookie-cutter-generic-questionable-quality variety.

It's probably mostly white. Predominantly Christian. I would guess there's not a whole lot of crime.

There is no income tax, which sounds nice, but keep in mind you get what you pay for. Unless you live in Columbus, then you get what I pay for (sorry, can't stand Coleman).

The schools seem to be good enough, but again, I seem to recall hearing about budget issues...but what district doesn't have budget issues?

The closest nice mall would be Easton. There are stores popping up all over the place, so you wouldn't be too far from a grocery store.

Hunting is also a "hot" issue out that way. People hunting where they shouldn't be?

MSN or Yahoo mentioned Pataskala in one of their recent articles as a cheap place to live.

It's probably a good place to live if you're looking for an affordable, average place to raise your kids. There's nothing "wow" about it, but it's not bad either. You may also want to look at Pickerington.

Old 02-20-2009, 11:49 AM

3 posts, read 14,248 times
It's a pretty safe town. In town are the basics a kroger, dollar general, gas stations and pizza places. Not much else. But within a 10 minute drive is Pickerington/Reynoldsburg or Heath. There are 2 school systems basically south of 16 is southwest Licking. More of a less crowded schools and more country kids. Then the other is Licking Heights the schools are new, but there are more kids and I hear it's a little more ethnic but haven't heard much else. Weather is the same as Columbus.

Old 02-20-2009, 03:53 PM

1,014 posts, read 3,587,137 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2006Buckeye View Post
Boring, boring, boring. The weather is pretty much the same as Columbus. Pataskala seems a little more dreary to me, but I am allergic to the burbs!

It's 20 miles east of Columbus, so it's pretty cheap. You can get a lot of square feet for a low price, but many of the homes are of the cookie-cutter-generic-questionable-quality variety.

It's probably mostly white. Predominantly Christian. I would guess there's not a whole lot of crime.

There is no income tax, which sounds nice, but keep in mind you get what you pay for. Unless you live in Columbus, then you get what I pay for (sorry, can't stand Coleman).

The schools seem to be good enough, but again, I seem to recall hearing about budget issues...but what district doesn't have budget issues?

The closest nice mall would be Easton. There are stores popping up all over the place, so you wouldn't be too far from a grocery store.

Hunting is also a "hot" issue out that way. People hunting where they shouldn't be?

MSN or Yahoo mentioned Pataskala in one of their recent articles as a cheap place to live.

It's probably a good place to live if you're looking for an affordable, average place to raise your kids. There's nothing "wow" about it, but it's not bad either. You may also want to look at Pickerington.
I would also like to add there is no public transit so having a car is mandatory. In any given family,each member over driving age has to have their own vehicle to get around. That with car payments,insurance ,gas and maintainance it could run into big bucks. So that more or less cancels out Pataskala being cheap place to live.

Old 02-20-2009, 04:18 PM

509 posts, read 782,612 times
crime - low
schools - average
religion - protestant
demographics - white, middle class, family-oriented
strip malls - a couple

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajohnson56 View Post
Hello, Can anyone give a detail break down of this city.

Crime
schools
religion
demographics
shopping/strip malls
weather

and anything you can add. Thank you so muc
h Good place to live?

Old 02-20-2009, 06:54 PM

455 posts, read 1,885,017 times
I like the little street fair they have on old main st. every summer... bless em.

Other than that, well, it is quickly becoming the dumping ground for lower/middle (still working, for now) class east siders moving away from nearer places like Whitehall and Reynoldsburg to escape the ever-present eastbound poverty push out of Columbus. The cheaply built housing communities surrounding old Pataskala will be the slums of the future.

Old 02-23-2009, 05:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HuskerDu View Post
I like the little street fair they have on old main st. every summer... bless em.

Other than that, well, it is quickly becoming the dumping ground for lower/middle (still working, for now) class east siders moving away from nearer places like Whitehall and Reynoldsburg to escape the ever-present eastbound poverty push out of Columbus. The cheaply built housing communities surrounding old Pataskala will be the slums of the future.
I agree with HuskerDu. Reynoldsburg is certainly declining and Whitehall is rapidly going "ghetto".As the the neighborhoods around downtown Columbus gentrify, the crime and poverty will continue east until it's past Pataskala. However Pataskala has a cute little downtown and the little street fair is sweet. There is a mom and pop restaurant at Broad and Summit Sts. that been there for many years and the food is very good.

Old 02-25-2009, 08:55 PM

123 posts, read 216,107 times
I agree with all of these posters. Laughed when I saw it made the top 10 "suburbs."

A suburb? Really? Pataskala? A real happening place...

Old 02-26-2009, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by letsgobucks! View Post
I agree with all of these posters. Laughed when I saw it made the top 10 "suburbs."

A suburb? Really? Pataskala? A real happening place...
You are right! I can see places like Grandview, Westerville , Worthington , and even Grove City making the top ten burbs but not Pataskala. Not that I'm knocking the town but it has some way to go. Making it more walkable, more restaurants and shops and getting public transit out there would make the area more attractive.

Old 02-26-2009, 06:54 PM

2,365 posts, read 4,376,312 times
how big an honor can it be to be a top 10 suburb anyway??? doesnt columbus have only 15 suburbs total?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus