Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 07:00 PM

417 posts, read 594,685 times

Advertisements

Is Columbus a scary place to live? I am reading all these threads and it seems frightening!! I live in a cleveland suburb and it is a great place. Nice people, clean city, and great parks!! I got a job in Columbus but my husband is in IT so i hope and pray he will find something. I hope the tech market is much better than cleveland.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2014, 07:06 PM

166 posts, read 344,084 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Muffy1 View Post
Is Columbus a scary place to live? I am reading all these threads and it seems frightening!! I live in a cleveland suburb and it is a great place. Nice people, clean city, and great parks!! I got a job in Columbus but my husband is in IT so i hope and pray he will find something. I hope the tech market is much better than cleveland.
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Columbus typically has the lowest crime rates of the 3 big Ohio cities. I grew up in Cincinnati, have lived in Columbus for 5 years, and have visited Cleveland... I don't see any of them as being particularly scary. I feel safer in Columbus than I do in Cincinnati or Cleveland, but I will admit some of that may be bias or perception.

Columbus has tons of Cleveland transplants and offers most of what Cleveland does in terms of dining, nightlife, culture, arts, etc. The metro area of Columbus is definitely a little smaller, but I don't think you'll have much culture shock at all. You should be able to find something similar to the suburb you live in now. Columbus has just as nice of suburbs as anywhere in Ohio, in my opinion.

Old 04-20-2014, 08:14 PM

1,846 posts, read 4,743,012 times
Columbus is very safe! I don't feel uneasy at all

Old 04-20-2014, 08:59 PM

78 posts, read 146,054 times
Not particularly, no. Never been frightened any more here than in any other city.

Old 04-21-2014, 06:21 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertfoshizzle View Post
Someone can correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe Columbus typically has the lowest crime rates of the 3 big Ohio cities. I grew up in Cincinnati, have lived in Columbus for 5 years, and have visited Cleveland... I don't see any of them as being particularly scary. I feel safer in Columbus than I do in Cincinnati or Cleveland, but I will admit some of that may be bias or perception.

Columbus has tons of Cleveland transplants and offers most of what Cleveland does in terms of dining, nightlife, culture, arts, etc. The metro area of Columbus is definitely a little smaller, but I don't think you'll have much culture shock at all. You should be able to find something similar to the suburb you live in now. Columbus has just as nice of suburbs as anywhere in Ohio, in my opinion.
You are correct about the crime rate. Actually, Columbus has a lower violent crime than almost all of Ohio's major cities. But if we are talking about the suburbs, they're pretty much all the same everywhere.

Old 04-21-2014, 02:48 PM

5,296 posts, read 5,243,321 times
I feel safer in Columbus' sketchiest neighborhoods than I do in some of the bad neighborhoods of Clevelandy or Cincy.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:00 PM

24,122 posts, read 32,484,271 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohioaninsc View Post
I feel safer in Columbus' sketchiest neighborhoods than I do in some of the bad neighborhoods of Clevelandy or Cincy.

I've only been to Columbus twice since moving to Ohio. It seems extremely safe. Once we were visiting Capital University. That area was beautiful, walkable and upscale.

Another time we visited down town. Also clean and nonthreatening.

If there's a bad part of Columbus, I'd be willing to bet that it's better than the mediocre parts of most mid sized cities.

Old 04-21-2014, 03:10 PM

87 posts, read 180,971 times
A city that has 90-100 killings a year. How is that safe?

Old 04-21-2014, 03:11 PM

87 posts, read 180,971 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheena12 View Post
I've only been to Columbus twice since moving to Ohio. It seems extremely safe. Once we were visiting Capital University. That area was beautiful, walkable and upscale.

Another time we visited down town. Also clean and nonthreatening.

If there's a bad part of Columbus, I'd be willing to bet that it's better than the mediocre parts of most mid sized cities.
Bet me.

Old 04-21-2014, 05:11 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,068,177 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by columbus finest View Post
A city that has 90-100 killings a year. How is that safe?
When that # is not growing and is divided into more people every year. "Safe" is relative. Crime has been dropping for some time, despite growing population. And the violent crime rate, which includes murder, is already lower than it is in the 3Cs... By quite a bit.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus