Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-05-2008, 03:37 PM

143 posts, read 873,500 times

Advertisements

I was born and raised in Toledo..I just got a job offer in Columbus. Ive been to Cbus a few times for various reasons and I like the vibe of the place. Im black american, 24 yo and a couple of years out of college. What are some safe areas for young people to live. Id rather rent than buy. The racial demographics in Columbus is similar to Toledo so Im not expecting anything new there..But I rather have a place where there are at least some black people..People keeping bring up Ghanna, reynoldsburg..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-05-2008, 04:28 PM

20 posts, read 74,759 times
both good areas.... I'd also suggest Pickerington if you want to be outside the city a bit.... Columbus on the north end (Rte 161, Morse Rd.) is also an option.....

Old 02-05-2008, 05:30 PM

62 posts, read 297,177 times
Yea thats where I was told and visited was those areas, Reynoldsburg was my pick to move to, I think Pinkerington is a lil ritzier I gotta go down within the next two months to look at places to live I want a townhouse or a condo depending. Good luck.

Old 02-05-2008, 07:44 PM

143 posts, read 873,500 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Londa419 View Post
Yea thats where I was told and visited was those areas, Reynoldsburg was my pick to move to, I think Pinkerington is a lil ritzier I gotta go down within the next two months to look at places to live I want a townhouse or a condo depending. Good luck.
Have you actually went down to see the places? Why did you pick Renoldsburg?

Old 02-06-2008, 06:07 PM

12 posts, read 42,884 times
Gahanna is really great because it's convenient to Easton Town Center and only takes about 10 minutes to get Downtown. There's tons of night life going on in the Arena District in Downtown and the Short North, which borders Downtown. I guess it would depend on where you'll be working and how close you want to be to work.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:57 PM

62 posts, read 297,177 times
Yes I was down in September in the Blacklick area, but reynoldsburg is right around the same area. Reason I chose is after reading several threads pertaining to diversity (which is what I'm looking for) it seemed to be the ideal area for myself and my children, I was down around E Broad St and the area was so clean in comparison to Toledo, my friend lives in some condos called McNaughten Place off of Main St and I swear you would of thought it was an all white neighborhood but to my suprise there were many Black families there, it was a gated community and very well kept.

Another reason I chose Columbus is that it was voted one of the top places to live for Black people to live by BET, it was scored on several criteria you would have to go on the site and archive it. Columbus is a booming city, positive employment rate versus Toledo's higher unemployment rate (it's higher than the national average at 6.4%), the population of Toledo is on the decline which is an indication of its citizens not being happy with the area, you can see more statistics for that on Sperlings Best Places to live.com and read comments about both Toledo and Columbus, I have to say I agreed with a lot of the comments about our city. And lastly, the people here on this site speak so highly of there town I can count on 1 hand how many negative threads/posts I've seen, a lot of them seem to be accepting of different cultures and peoples sexual orientation which also means a lot to me because I despise unnecessary hatred.

Another website I have used is Rent.com to do a long distance search for a place to live, I have compiled a list of the complexes I am intersted in and armed with a GPS, I plan on going down in March/April to narrow down my choices because I'm not moving to August.

Sorry my response is so long but I wanted to explain my response better for you, hope it helps.

Old 02-06-2008, 08:20 PM

548 posts, read 2,016,899 times
If you're 24 years old, you shouldn't be in the outer suburbs like Reynoldsburg or Pickerington. I'd suggest Clintonville, Grandview or maybe the Henderson Rd area of Arlington. There's at least some racial diversity in those areas, but more important there are young folks. In the other areas you've mentioned it's mostly married people with kids.

Old 02-12-2008, 10:55 AM

12 posts, read 53,754 times
Congratulations! I too was born and raised in Toledo. I moved to Reynoldsburg almost 5 years ago. I could go on and on about things to consider when deciding where to move but honestly think it would be easier if we spoke. If that's alright with you. Please feel free to call me. If you'd like my number, you can email me at kkgrant@peoplepc.com. I don't feel comfortable posting my number here.

Old 02-13-2008, 05:24 PM

422 posts, read 759,352 times
Why would you want to live that far out? I live in between Easton and the Airport, and I probably live the farthest out of any of my friends. If you go out to Gahanna, you're going to be the only black guy for miles and miles. I would recommend looking at the Bethel Road and Henderson corridors, where a lot of 20 somethings live.

The real action is near OSU, Grandview, or downtown, but to have a decent, new, secure place in those areas will cost you money.

I'm not even sure where Reynoldsburg is =/

Old 02-20-2008, 02:48 PM

1 posts, read 3,073 times
Yes, the Henderson/Bethel Road area would be a good place for a 24 year old single person, but didn't you say you had children? You have to think about the schools. Columbus Public Schools aren't where you want to send your kids. Regarding Gahanna, it is 30% minority and the schools are great. What's that about being the only black person for miles and miles. I disagree. It has diversity. Reynoldsburg, Blacklick and Pickerington are good also. Blacklick is in Licking Heights school district. Reynoldsburg has it's own school district.

Just stay away from Southwest School district and Columbus Public. Of course, there are many Christian schools you can send your kids to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus