Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 10-23-2015, 01:49 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,050,415 times

Advertisements

Quote:
maxmodder;41656400]As a car enthusiast I can't imagine living my life in one of
these "walk-able" cities to try and justify not having a car and living in the
city instead of a suburb. This whole "smog free, stay away from cars, be green"
outlook is just a bunch of nonsense if you ask me.
There's a whole lot to be said for urban areas that don't have cars. You might be surprised just how pleasant they become. Where I am, several streets in the historic part of the city are being closed to all auto traffic and being converted to pedestrian-only. The changes were significant. Before, they were congested, dirty and the streets had lots of vacant businesses. After, pedestrian activity exploded, the area became much nicer and they're now some of the most successful business streets anywhere in the city. There is a place for cars, but they do contribute significantly to reduced air quality and a general unfriendly environment to anyone who isn't driving.

Quote:
Walking/biking is just not that exciting to me unless it's in a park rather than
a city street. Cars are exciting. If I have to drive 15 minutes to go to a
coffee shop, quirky bar, or divey rock club, so be it. I'll enjoy every minute
of the commute like I always have.
I personally don't find anything exciting about cars whatsoever. I've never gotten the fascination with them. Nor do I find walking/biking particularly exciting. It can be fun, but it's more about what I gain from it. I see more of the city this way, and I don't have any of the stress that comes with traffic or driving expenses... or finding parking. I think most people drive because that's really all that they know, and because in the US, that's almost always what you have to do. There are very few viable options otherwise. It's a shame, really.

Quote:
I don't think young professionals worrying about jobs and affordability after
the fact is the correct outlook. Too much risk with that move first mentality
to live that "hipster" dream only to crawl right back into mommy and daddy's
basement after things don't work out.
I don't think most young professionals don't consider jobs and affordability. There is nothing to indicate that economic factors are not significant considerations for them. In fact, given that they have grown up in a time of double recession, including the worst economic conditions since the Great Depression, it's impossible to believe they don't consider them.

Quote:
No one has a problem with Columbus, just the typical millennials that give the
place a bad name, just like they do in any city. Unfortunately a majority of
millennials are infamously narcissistic, entitled, lazy, arrogant, wild,
politically disengaged suckers who will fall for any weird fad. These types
give all millennials a bad name, and they are easy to spot. They are tapping on
their smartphones, strolling into work late and amassing instagram followers and
they use improvements in technology as an excuse for their behavior and poor
mannerisms.
You seem to be making the same mistake others have done and making huge assumptions as to what most Millennials want and who they are. If you want to buy into every stereotype, that's your choice, but it'd be no different than some younger person suggesting that Baby Boomers all moved to the suburbs because they were racist and didn't want to be around anyone who wasn't white and middle-upper class.

Old 10-23-2015, 05:46 AM

11,052 posts, read 12,434,904 times
Hey I can play this game too. Ok... Baby boomers! Voted away the future continuously by creating programs for their own selfish benefits that now rob from millennials who can't get good jobs because of said programs that selfish baby boomers love. The richest generation anywhere in the history of the world still needs social security, which has no money, and just keeps taking from the young and he unborn because, hey, 60 years of the best economy in the history of the world just isn't enough to quench their own selfishness. Politically naive, raised a generation of people who only care about adding Instagram followers, largely absent from children's lives, abandoned cities and let them rot, absolutely tasteless and ego centric lifestyle, responsible for terrible fashion trends, only cares about living as far away from minorities as possible, outdated thinking, the only thing good is that they've only got max 30 years left of screwing everyone else over.

How'd I do?????? It's a joke, don't take it seriously, I'm just showing how easy it is to stereotype and demonize.

But seriously People are individuals with unique motivations. Those millennials tapping their phone screens just might actually be working on creating the next app that enhances your life and makes everything run more efficiently. Or maybe they're communicating with their business partners or friends in Korea. Or submitting a product design or research paper to people elsewhere. Or reading the newspaper or an ebook about economics. If the only think you think people do on phones is Instagram, sorry, That's inaccurate .

Last edited by bjimmy24; 10-23-2015 at 06:49 AM..

Old 10-23-2015, 06:17 PM

1,068 posts, read 1,428,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by db108108 View Post
So now you change the definition of what a millennial is? It's literally just an age group. What you seem to be implying is that millennial is synonomous with hipster, and given what you've told us about yourself in this forum, you would fit that descriptor. I'm a millennial but not a hipster. I guess that makes me a fake millennial in your eyes?

The Coop closing has far more to do with Luckys Market opening than anything else, BTW. But because they're a chain (by the minimal definition), that's probably not millennial enough for you.
I didn't change the definition of what a millennial is nor did I create it, as it's documented in several articles by several different sources ad nauseum. I know you know how to use Google, so I'm not going to repost previous articles or post additional ones since they're so ubiquitous. If you don't fit most of the list of descriptions of traits that millennials in general share, then I can't help you.

Last edited by Mplsite; 10-23-2015 at 06:49 PM..

Old 10-23-2015, 06:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I'll give you an answer to why Millennials would choose Columbus when you admit they love Columbus more than Minneapolis. And they do... they love it so much.
Of course, neither of you can give any reasons as to why a Mlliennial would choose Columbus over other cities, but I have provided a full cornucopia of reasons as to why they wouldn't and don't. What is there to love vs what several other cities offer?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray_Velcoro View Post
so why are all of these out of townsfolk bashing Columbus? Jealous much?
Exactly why would anyone be jealous of Columbus unless they're from Omaha, Wichita, or Oklahoma City? Please do tell this ex-Columbusite who spent most of his 33 years in Columbus and has been to nearly every single neighborhood in the city: that includes Stambaugh-Elwood, Steelton/Reeb-Hosack, and Devon Triangle, which I suppose I should be jealous of for some unknown reason.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:39 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
Hey I can play this game too. Ok... Baby boomers! Voted away the future continuously by creating programs for their own selfish benefits that now rob from millennials who can't get good jobs because of said programs that selfish baby boomers love. The richest generation anywhere in the history of the world still needs social security, which has no money, and just keeps taking from the young and he unborn because, hey, 60 years of the best economy in the history of the world just isn't enough to quench their own selfishness. Politically naive, raised a generation of people who only care about adding Instagram followers, largely absent from children's lives, abandoned cities and let them rot, absolutely tasteless and ego centric lifestyle, responsible for terrible fashion trends, only cares about living as far away from minorities as possible, outdated thinking, the only thing good is that they've only got max 30 years left of screwing everyone else over.

How'd I do?????? It's a joke, don't take it seriously, I'm just showing how easy it is to stereotype and demonize.

But seriously People are individuals with unique motivations. Those millennials tapping their phone screens just might actually be working on creating the next app that enhances your life and makes everything run more efficiently. Or maybe they're communicating with their business partners or friends in Korea. Or submitting a product design or research paper to people elsewhere. Or reading the newspaper or an ebook about economics. If the only think you think people do on phones is Instagram, sorry, That's inaccurate .
I never said the only thing they do on their phone is Instagram. What I do find hilarious is how this millennial generation handles social interaction and there inability to balance it with technology. I was at a dinner and all these millennials have their phones out, some actually texting each other instead of conversing face to face. God forbid if someone has to actually speak... it's not the "cool" thing to do when you can just text.

It's almost as if actually talking to someone on the phone is now a lost art form because people think that texting and emailing is the end all be all of communication. These millennials can't understand why the individuals that pay their salaries frown upon the notion of trying to close a deal over an email rather than a face to face meeting over a handshake. Contrary to millenial way of thinking, tone of voice and facial expressions can NOT be known over an email or a text. Yes there are millennials that don't fit the stereotypical mold, but the stereotypes and generalizations exist for a reason. It's because the majority conforms to it, and breathes life into it.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by maxmodder View Post
As a car enthusiast I can't imagine living my life in one of these "walk-able" cities to try and justify not having a car and living in the city instead of a suburb. This whole "smog free, stay away from cars, be green" outlook is just a bunch of nonsense if you ask me.

Walking/biking is just not that exciting to me unless it's in a park rather than a city street. Cars are exciting. If I have to drive 15 minutes to go to a coffee shop, quirky bar, or divey rock club, so be it. I'll enjoy every minute of the commute like I always have.

I don't think young professionals worrying about jobs and affordability after the fact is the correct outlook. Too much risk with that move first mentality to live that "hipster" dream only to crawl right back into mommy and daddy's basement after things don't work out.
Why would one need to justify not having a car in a dense city where simply it makes more sense to walk, bike, or take the train which is just as fast or faster in many cases to reach a much higher number of destinations while drivers are stuck in traffic? Even pitted against the suburbs with 50 MPH speed limits I can get to many more places by bike in the city faster than motoring suburbanites who have to find their way out of their cul-de-sac, sit or five minutes at every red-light they hit on their 7 lane arterial road, and have to end up driving a few miles out before getting to where they're going. The American motoring dream costs the lives of over 33,000 Americans every single year: moving away from that and saving lives of all ages and preventing vast number of unnecessary deaths is anything but: "nonsense". If anyone has to justify anything, it's why you think you should be able to drive your car in status quo conditions which, in order for it to run for a year requires the blood of tens of thousands of your fellow citizens.

Biking is plenty exciting; I get more of a rush biking in heavy car traffic where I can keep up with the speed than I ever did driving anywhe, although I did like the sleeker look of my long gone 2 door 92 Saturn w/ sunroof. Walking in the city can be exciting too, since you always have to cross streets defensively because motorists will run you over without looking even when you have the right of way; it's a game of life and death at every corner and you're going to tell me that's not "exciting"? And I am curious, since you say that you love driving to your destination and enjpy every minute that you do, that must welcome every cyclist who ends up in front of you on a narrow street because that means you get to drive more and spend more time doing what you love, right? I mean, who wants less beer, chocolate, or sex, right? More is better.

I believe you're overestimating that "risk". In order for it to be as large as you make it out one would have to be very set on a very, very narrow selection of what jobs one would accept. Millennials tend to be more flexible and willing to work at the next best thing and live where they really want live instead of getting that dream job in a city they'd dread living in.

Old 10-23-2015, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Of course, neither of you can give any reasons as to why a Mlliennial would choose Columbus over other cities, but I have provided a full cornucopia of reasons as to why they wouldn't and don't. What is there to love vs what several other cities offer?

Exactly why would anyone be jealous of Columbus unless they're from Omaha, Wichita, or Oklahoma City? Please do tell this ex-Columbusite who spent most of his 33 years in Columbus and has been to nearly every single neighborhood in the city: that includes Stambaugh-Elwood, Steelton/Reeb-Hosack, and Devon Triangle, which I suppose I should be jealous of for some unknown reason.
In the time it took you to write this, another Millennial chose Columbus over Minneapolis.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:01 PM

Quote:
I never said the only thing they do on their phone is Instagram. What I do find hilarious is how this millennial generation handles social interaction and there inability to balance it with technology. I was at a dinner and all these millennials have their phones out, some actually texting each other instead of conversing face to face. God forbid if someone has to actually speak... it's not the "cool" thing to do when you can just text.

It's almost as if actually talking to someone on the phone is now a lost art form because people think that texting and emailing is the end all be all of communication. These millennials can't understand why the individuals that pay their salaries frown upon the notion of trying to close a deal over an email rather than a face to face meeting over a handshake. Contrary to millenial way of thinking, tone of voice and facial expressions can NOT be known over an email or a text. Yes there are millennials that don't fit the stereotypical mold, but the stereotypes and generalizations exist for a reason. It's because the majority conforms to it, and breathes life into it.
Yeah....
Attached Thumbnails
Columbus is the 3rd best city for millennials-53510606.jpg  

Old 10-23-2015, 07:01 PM

1,046 posts, read 1,534,977 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mplsite View Post
Why would one need to justify not having a car in a dense city where simply it makes more sense to walk, bike, or take the train which is just as fast or faster in many cases to reach a much higher number of destinations while drivers are stuck in traffic? Even pitted against the suburbs with 50 MPH speed limits I can get to many more places by bike in the city faster than motoring suburbanites who have to find their way out of their cul-de-sac, sit or five minutes at every red-light they hit on their 7 lane arterial road, and have to end up driving a few miles out before getting to where they're going. The American motoring dream costs the lives of over 33,000 Americans every single year: moving away from that and saving lives of all ages and preventing vast number of unnecessary deaths is anything but: "nonsense". If anyone has to justify anything, it's why you think you should be able to drive your car in status quo conditions which, in order for it to run for a year requires the blood of tens of thousands of your fellow citizens.

Biking is plenty exciting; I get more of a rush biking in heavy car traffic where I can keep up with the speed than I ever did driving anywhe, although I did like the sleeker look of my long gone 2 door 92 Saturn w/ sunroof. Walking in the city can be exciting too, since you always have to cross streets defensively because motorists will run you over without looking even when you have the right of way; it's a game of life and death at every corner and you're going to tell me that's not "exciting"? And I am curious, since you say that you love driving to your destination and enjpy every minute that you do, that must welcome every cyclist who ends up in front of you on a narrow street because that means you get to drive more and spend more time doing what you love, right? I mean, who wants less beer, chocolate, or sex, right? More is better.

I believe you're overestimating that "risk". In order for it to be as large as you make it out one would have to be very set on a very, very narrow selection of what jobs one would accept. Millennials tend to be more flexible and willing to work at the next best thing and live where they really want live instead of getting that dream job in a city they'd dread living in.
Why? Because driving is a privilege, not a right. And it's an added expense. And being a car enthusiast can be expensive. At the moment, I have a 10 second street car that is a hobby of mine that I take out every other weekend or so. It's nice to go to car shows and talk shop. It's even more fun building a car and making it go fast. It's not my fault that I know how to work on my own vehicles and don't have to pay the additional expenses to repair shops incurred by those unwilling to learn. Even if I lived in the city, I could never just remove myself from a hobby that I enjoy very much, especially when for a number of years when I lived in Cleveland I could only really enjoy that hobby for 3/4 of the year if that due to the snow. I also can't imagine living in the city and being without a car. What if I want to take a weekend trip to another city? What if I feel like visiting a friend out in the suburbs? All this would be such a hassle if I lived in the city and didn't have a car. When I want to bike, I can just bike in the park. I don't have to be without a car simply because I have a bike. They each serve there own purpose and I'd much rather own both than one or the other.

Old 10-23-2015, 07:04 PM

Quote:

Texting one another when sitting at the same table is definitely over the top. I am guilty of checking my phone every now and then, but if I'm in a social situation then I'm socializing in the 1st person. All of my favorite bars all have no TVs; I much prefer to go to the bar and converse with people, not to sit silently and watch TV or mess aorund on my phone, even if I don't know them. I'd also never sit there texting on my phone while on a date or take a call, but I'd just call that some common godd@mn courtesy. I don't think it's asking too much of a grown adult to juggle the two things accordingly to whatever the context may be.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus