Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will Columbus ever be the largest metro in Ohio?
Yes (definitely) 68 51.13%
No (never) 25 18.80%
Maybe 40 30.08%
Voters: 133. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-29-2023, 03:05 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bjimmy24 View Post
The sprawl in Franklin county, even within the city of Columbus itself, is pretty wild. There won't be much land left to develop soon.
This is just so not true. The city doesn't even include 50% of Franklin County.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-29-2023, 03:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 216facts View Post
The Cleveland CSA will be larger than both Cinci and Columbus for quite a while - if not forever. Depending upon how you want to tabulate it, its somewhere between 3M and 3.6M. Media markets ratings:
19 = Cleveland
33 = Columbus
36 = Cincinnati

You can count heads any number of ways you want, but we got a lot more people up here than you do down there, the media companies say so. And that's what really matters when you want an NBA franchise, or something similar.

That having been said, congrats to Columbus on getting the Intel fabs.
It's not just Intel. The Honda battery plant will benefit Columbus the most even though it's just outside the metro, and now we know Amazon will be building some kind of 30-building complex near Intel as well. That's 3 multi-billion projects in less than a year.

Old 01-29-2023, 03:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
According to this website.,.. Middletown is the second-fastest growing city amongst the Top15 largest in Ohio.....after Columbus......so there you go ..

https://www.biggestuscities.com/oh/2020
Why is Middletown even being discussed in a thread about what will be Ohio's largest metro?

Old 01-29-2023, 05:04 PM

11,052 posts, read 12,436,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
This is just so not true. The city doesn't even include 50% of Franklin County.
It's absolutely true.

Old 01-29-2023, 05:23 PM

2,502 posts, read 3,371,489 times
Quote:
Why is Middletown even being discussed in a thread about what will be Ohio's largest metro?

Because it is at the heart of an emerging Metropolis 50% larger than Columbus.

Halfway between downtown Dayton and downtown Cincinnati.

Old 01-29-2023, 06:13 PM

1,223 posts, read 1,041,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by I_am_Father_McKenzie View Post
The classic have your cake and eat it too argument from Clevelanders. Columbus is only big because of annexation and sprawl! Also, Cleveland is clearly largest. Just look at its 6,437 square mile CSA! A hypothetical Cincinnati-Dayton CSA is already at the 3.3 million mark; just shy of Cleveland's 3.6 million. The Columbus CSA (with only one MSA i.e. the least sprawl) needs only one million to even up to the other two. That should happen by 2050.

I just love it. First, Columbus is a tiny cow town. They surpass Cleveland and Cincinnati, and it's because of annexation. It's all about the core county now. Then Franklin passes Cuyahoga, and it's well, really the real measure is MSA. Now MSA has passed Cleveland and will pass Cincinnati by 2030 and it's well, really the real measure is CSA. OK. See you in 25 years.

Meanwhile, the most comparable measure there is is Urban Area, and Columbus is the most dense and soon to be the most populated. I'd argue that is more important for weekday NHL, NBA, and MLB games than far flung people in neighboring MSAs. Obviously media markets are important measures for TV, but a lot more goes into it than that. Your numbers are old anyway. Columbus is up to 32 and may get to 30 soon. Cleveland is still 19, but Sacramento is catching up. And what does that tell you? You think Sacramento is a comparable region to NEO? Not a chance (I don't believe it either). That's why those comparisons can be silly.

Don't be surprised if the Guardians move to Columbus in the next 13 years (Progressive Field lease ends in 2036). I'd say the Cavs, but their owner seems to be more Cleveland-centric. Funny, coming from a Detroit guy. Meanwhile, the Dolans sold 25% of the Guardians to an outsider from Jersey with an option for him to be majority owner by 2028.

The Intel fabs are just a part. Although a huge part. The Columbus economy is set to boom in the next five years. It'll surpass the Cincinnati MSA in jobs and GDP in that time. With jobs come... people. With people come more services, amenities, etc. We haven't witnessed Columbus' boom yet. Imagine if instead of denying Columbus' elevation into Ohio's premiere city for the last 30 years you had bought some land or properties down here!
Yeah whoa is me. I lived in Dallas for a few years until I left that ungodly sprawl with no culture. CLE is a way larger media market than COL, that says it all to me. If you want more, we have CCF, NASA, CASE, CMA, CVNP, NBA, NFL, MLB, Lake Erie, CLE Orchestra, RTA trains to the airport & downtown & inner ring, low cost real estate, 24k acres of metroparks, nationally recognized fine dining scene.

I like the intel fabs going in to Columbus, hopefully they make the cut. If it all comes to fruition, you'll need a lot of planning to keep real estate affordable, and a reasonable QOL. I am glad I can watch it all go down from 120 miles away.

Old 01-29-2023, 09:42 PM

Quote:
I'm curious if you were even aware that Hamilton -Middletown...the two legacy cities cementing the CBDMetroplex were counted as a separate metropolitan area until 1970? 1/3 as large as Columbus?

By the way...2000 years ago.....the largest city in Ohio was at Miamisburg...between Middletown and Dayton, on the banks of the Great Miami.

Dayton Middletown and Hamilton (as well as Miamisburg and West Carrollton, and Franklin) are Great Miami River cities, yet Hamilton and Middletown are thrown in with Cincy. It's not just I-75, and not just Dayton and Cincy that are creating Ohios largest urban agglomeration....

Last edited by midwest1; 01-29-2023 at 09:54 PM..

Old 01-29-2023, 09:52 PM

Oh, and your new Senator, living in Columbus is, like me a Hillbilly from Middletown...so there is that too

Old 01-29-2023, 10:04 PM

Educate yourself and meet the Mayor of Ohio's second-fastest growing large city

https://www.cityofmiddletown.org/directory.aspx?EID=111

Old 01-30-2023, 04:43 AM

212 posts, read 198,914 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by midwest1 View Post
I could not care less what a bunch of bureaucrats in DC say. Last week the Cincinnati Enquirer had a front page story on the homeless issue in Middletown. The title of the article was "Butler County City...."...and the Dayton Daily News the next day spoke of the Dayton-Butler region.

It is an emerging urban agglomeration with multiple urban nodes that is rapidly melting together.
You've convinced me. Shared media stories is a better measure than any silly Census Bureau stats. So I pulled up 10TV last night (the Columbus CBS affiliate), and the lead story was a missing man from... Dayton! So, I guess Dayton is in the Columbus MSA now! Thank you!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus