Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 11:23 AM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
Am I the only once tired of questions like this? To ask "how bad is racism" assumes by default racism is manifest. I'm sure you have people who possess prejudices all across the planet. In fact, it's most likely a natural way our brains organize and compartmentalize massive amounts of data - the technical term for which is hueristics. But to imply overt racism is rampant is to choose to view the world through the lens of someone intent on looking for racism.

Columbus is about the least racist place I've ever experienced in the United States. Sorry to be so blunt but someone has got to say it - this is a redundant question that needs to be put to rest once and for all as I get the impression the goal is simply to stoke flames and troll message boards.
Agreed for the most part. Racism definitely exists in Columbus just like it exists everywhere else, but 99.9999% of the time, it will never be a factor in daily interactions, at least not overtly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 PM

358 posts, read 620,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
Agreed for the most part. Racism definitely exists in Columbus just like it exists everywhere else, but 99.9999% of the time, it will never be a factor in daily interactions, at least not overtly.
I think the racism question is a valid question to be asked. Overt racism is rare. But consider this, how many times does a resume with the name Jaheem or Qualisha get tossed aside, never mind the fact that Jaheem may have a masters degree or relevant work experience. Let's not pretend that does not happen, and it happens in some cities/metros more than others. It has been said that the most common form of racism against blacks today is doubting our intelligence. With that said, it has been my experience that Columbus is a great city for minorities including gays to advance socially & economically, and that is all that matters in the long run. (end rant)

Old 02-26-2013, 10:49 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,051,721 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NC_MVP View Post
I think the racism question is a valid question to be asked. Overt racism is rare. But consider this, how many times does a resume with the name Jaheem or Qualisha get tossed aside, never mind the fact that Jaheem may have a masters degree or relevant work experience. Let's not pretend that does not happen, and it happens in some cities/metros more than others. It has been said that the most common form of racism against blacks today is doubting our intelligence. With that said, it has been my experience that Columbus is a great city for minorities including gays to advance socially & economically, and that is all that matters in the long run. (end rant)
I don't know, how many times? I assume you know as you asked it like a rhetorical question with an obvious answer. I don't doubt it happens on occasion, but probably not as often as you might think. If common decency doesn't prevail, the threat of lawsuits might.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
I don't know, how many times? I assume you know as you asked it like a rhetorical question with an obvious answer. I don't doubt it happens on occasion, but probably not as often as you might think. If common decency doesn't prevail, the threat of lawsuits might.
I don't think anyone knows how often it actually happens, but my gut feeling tells me it happens more than just on occasion.

Old 02-27-2013, 07:49 AM

14,673 posts, read 14,635,860 times
Quote:
I don't think anyone knows how often it actually happens, but my gut feeling tells me it happens more than just on occasion.
But it doesn't particularly happen any more in one city than the other, which is the overall point.

Old 02-27-2013, 04:40 PM

3,038 posts, read 2,513,136 times
Quote:
The employer is doing Jaheem or Qualisha a favor.

Why would a person want to work at a place they aint welcome?

Old 02-27-2013, 05:33 PM

688 posts, read 1,116,824 times
Quote:
My guess would be no more than a resume with the name Elijah, Camden, or Landon gets overlooked with nearly every company in the Columbus metro area fostering an active diversity campaign.

As I stated in my post above, to bring up the question of racism in this day and age, particularly to ask "how bad is racism" as if the default is that it is rampant, is to deliberately seek it out and foment an argument (e.g. trolling).

Most replies illustrate the members of these message boards are in accord - racism is a non-issue in Columbus.

Old 02-27-2013, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioRules View Post
The employer is doing Jaheem or Qualisha a favor.

Why would a person want to work at a place they aint welcome?
Good point! I had not thought about that!

Old 08-25-2014, 12:08 PM

1 posts, read 2,153 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen_master View Post
But to imply overt racism is rampant is to choose to view the world through the lens of someone intent on looking for racism.

To choose to continue to ignore that racism is rampant is part of the issue. I'm a young student from Texas where people are still getting their ears cut off so while looking for a graduate school I always ask myself "is this a safe place for people that look like me?"

I'd be a fool to not consider where I want to live especially in regards to my skin color. As a woman, I know to avoid dark allies, don't take drinks form strangers, and carry my keys in the parking garage. As a black woman, I know to stay clear of conservative Southern states, extremely segregated cities, and white Americans who like to pretend racism doesn't exist anymore. I think this was a great question and if you woke up black everyday you'd understand the ADDED fear precaution we have to take when moving to a new city.

Old 08-25-2014, 02:48 PM

341 posts, read 1,232,180 times
I think Columbus is really diverse so big majority of the time you don't really see any racial issues. Of course, there are racists every where you go so you can run into that from time to time. Speaking from my point of view being Asian, I've had ignorant comments made to me once in a blue moon like "Ching chong!" or "Great English, where did you learn it?" For the most part, I think a lot of people get along great.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus