Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-28-2008, 06:24 PM

1 posts, read 1,832 times

Advertisements

What a great community Columbus seems to be! I don't know it at all, however, and am looking around at all kinds of places. Personally, I really prefer a house or a townhouse because I have a cat and would like her to be able to go out.

I'll be signing a one-year lease from California before I move so I'm depending on word of mouth to understand the neighborhoods---

I found a place that looks perfect, but it's in Merion Village on the west side. I've been reading in this forum about Merion Village and the question of crime and safety seems to be mixed.

So---how would it be for a woman (who prefers to be in a real neighborhood than in an apartment complex) and her cat (who goes out but doesn't wander too far) in western Merion Village? Can I go out walking in the evening? Does crime mean violent crime or burglary?

Thanks in advance for any help the community can offer!

Suggestions about finding furnished sublets would be a bonus!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-28-2008, 07:19 PM

13 posts, read 84,012 times
Go on this website and ask. the Columbus Underground :: Index (http://www.columbusunderground.com/phpBB2/index.php - broken link)
Many of the regulars on this forum live in the more urban areas and can help you. Good luck!

Old 07-29-2008, 02:12 PM

150 posts, read 981,100 times
Columbus is a great city and I am sure you'll enjoy living here. I personally would not feel really safe walking at night in Merion Village. I know, people can be victimized anywhere (even in the nicest suburbs), but Merion Village is not too far from some pretty rough areas. German Village is very nice but there was an incident last fall where a group of youths assaulted 3 people after their school dance in Schiller Park. And Merion Village isn't as nice as German Village!

Merion Village is not the neighborhood I would recommend for you. It really depends on your comfort level, but you might want to check out Victorian Village, Short North, Grandview and Clintonville. Or, if you could find a sublet on Craig's List for a few months, that would be ideal. Moving two times is a pain, but even worse is signing a lease and disliking the neighborhood. You might also be able to rent short-term from a complex while you decide where you want to live.

Craig's List and the OSU Lantern may list sublets!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
View detailed profiles of: