Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-30-2009, 01:06 PM

179 posts, read 594,738 times

Advertisements

Wow. I've forgotten how sensitive (some of) you can be.

Relax. Outside of Ohio (my home state, btw. And Columbus was my home city), the perception is acres and acres of CORN.
It's nice to see some urban areas, even if the inhabitants have lost pride in their homes and neighborhoods. Not every 'hood can be German Village after all.

Just as not all of our women can be Sarah Palin (whew...), you can't have streets of gold in every city. I'd say that Columbus is a nice 50/50 mix of the well-kept and the distressed (shabby chic..?), which is better than many cities its size.

You, MRB69, took the pictures. What kind of response were you looking for? Most respondents said "interesting," which they are. Apparently not everyone shares your concept of "pretty". I forwarded your link to my wife (Westerville raised) and her comment was, "not funny" -she thinks I'm trying to derail our move back to Ohio.

As for my ACORN comment, it's generally accepted among those with a truly open mind, that ACORN preyed upon the unfortunate members of society to boost their numbers. They operated in areas much like your "ghettos," all over the country. I doubt that there was an ACORN stand at the New Albany Feed Store - was there?

If anyone cares to surf my few comments Re: Columbus, you would see that I speak very highly of the city in all cases.
Don't get your scarlet and grays in a bunch over a harmless toungue-in-cheek comment about the state of our society.

Last edited by NorthWord; 01-30-2009 at 01:23 PM.. Reason: removed potentially sexist comment. -M
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-30-2009, 01:37 PM

138 posts, read 808,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthWord View Post
Wow. I've forgotten how sensitive (some of) you can be.

Relax. Outside of Ohio (my home state, btw. And Columbus was my home city), the perception is acres and acres of CORN.
It's nice to see some urban areas, even if the inhabitants have lost pride in their homes and neighborhoods. Not every 'hood can be German Village after all.

Just as not all of our women can be Sarah Palin (whew...), you can't have streets of gold in every city. I'd say that Columbus is a nice 50/50 mix of the well-kept and the distressed (shabby chic..?), which is better than many cities its size.

You, MRB69, took the pictures. What kind of response were you looking for? Most respondents said "interesting," which they are. Apparently not everyone shares your concept of "pretty". I forwarded your link to my wife (Westerville raised) and her comment was, "not funny" -she thinks I'm trying to derail our move back to Ohio.

As for my ACORN comment, it's generally accepted among those with a truly open mind, that ACORN preyed upon the unfortunate members of society to boost their numbers. They operated in areas much like your "ghettos," all over the country. I doubt that there was an ACORN stand at the New Albany Feed Store - was there?

If anyone cares to surf my few comments Re: Columbus, you would see that I speak very highly of the city in all cases.
Don't get your scarlet and gray panties in a bunch over a harmless toungue-in-cheek comment about the state of our society.

OO Are you talking about the corn fields 45 miles away from Columbus? lol And last time I checked there was corn fields pretty close to every city in America.

This tread ask for pics of Columbus its not like I went to Cleveland and said it was Columbus. These are the areas i'm in almost everyday why should I go to a new area of a city IT HAS NO HISTORY! I'm not some dude that gones around sayin' im a crip or something thats not true Columbus has ghettos just like Dayton and Cleveland. Also just for everyone to know Cleveland is not the most crappy city in Ohio Dayton is everyone. By that statement I mean ghetto.

I live on Hudson st. and Cleveland ave. but I guess its the samething compared to New Albany. Yes I did see ACORN. They were talking to the homeless and they were set up right by the check cashing place......on welfair day.

I'm not looking for a response from all of you people who are over +70. Also sir, how did you know I was mad? Was it when I put F U? or ?
I never was mad lol

Old 01-30-2009, 02:16 PM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
mrb69, calm down

You are still young and have many things to learn, no offense.

The pictures that you took were obviously focusing on the blight of the areas you were in. Very obviously. That question that I asked was more rhetorical. They still are interesting. If you werent focusing on the blight you would have taken pictures of average occupied houses in the area, but you chose to only focus on abandoned/run-down houses, gang graffitti, and homeless. Thats because you focused mainly on the blight/decay.

Dayton is also not the worst city in Ohio. I hate that these things are always competitions, but realistically Dayton isnt even the most ghetto larger city in Ohio. I would put Cleveland and Youngstown ahead of it. Maybe Cincinnati also. For the smaller cities, East Cleveland would no doubt be worse, and Lorain and Canton wouldnt be too far behind Dayton. Everyone knows that Ohio has urban areas, Columbus has ghettos, and Dayton is pretty rough. You dont need to prove what is already known.

Old 01-30-2009, 05:43 PM

138 posts, read 808,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cle440 View Post
mrb69, calm down

You are still young and have many things to learn, no offense.

The pictures that you took were obviously focusing on the blight of the areas you were in. Very obviously. That question that I asked was more rhetorical. They still are interesting. If you werent focusing on the blight you would have taken pictures of average occupied houses in the area, but you chose to only focus on abandoned/run-down houses, gang graffitti, and homeless. Thats because you focused mainly on the blight/decay.

Dayton is also not the worst city in Ohio. I hate that these things are always competitions, but realistically Dayton isnt even the most ghetto larger city in Ohio. I would put Cleveland and Youngstown ahead of it. Maybe Cincinnati also. For the smaller cities, East Cleveland would no doubt be worse, and Lorain and Canton wouldnt be too far behind Dayton. Everyone knows that Ohio has urban areas, Columbus has ghettos, and Dayton is pretty rough. You dont need to prove what is already known.
Dude i'm ok lol

My family and friends live in these areas thats why i'm only in these areas. Once in awhile I get a chance to go to a good neighborhood but most of the time I don't have my camera on me. I mean if you ask for pics of a city i'm going to show you pics of the city. lol Alot of cities in America don't have all the inner-city ghetto that you people talk about anyways.

I only mentioned Dayton because my friend said he saw on tv that it was ranked as the dirtyest city in America even above Deroit. Im just about to look it up and see if I can find anything out.

Also Dayton was ranked 16th most dangerous city in America.

If anyone has pics send them!! lol

Wasn't Lorain ranked in the 100s?

Old 01-31-2009, 05:15 AM

3,070 posts, read 11,919,996 times
Dayton is not the most ghetto city in Ohio. When was it ever named 16th most dangerous? According to what? Ive been researching this stuff for years and have never seen Dayton that high on the list. This year it was ranked 26th. Cleveland was ranked 11th. Lorain is slightly too small to be included in the rankings, it has about 70k and the minimum is 75k. Like I mentioned on another thread, the only close to accurate crime statistics you will see for Lorain is on crimereports. Just one example, Lorain had more assaults in one month than city-data shows for the entire year. Thats very far off. Theres several other cities like that in Ohio like East Cleveland that the online stats are so far off.

Old 01-31-2009, 11:50 PM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Actually Dayton has a very attractive downtown, and a very nice skyline for a city of its size. Also, everyone please remember that we are talking about big cities here, they are going to have their problems, their areas of blight, their "ghettos." Please find me one major city in the U.S. that does not face these challenges?

I can completely understand mrb69's posts. He lives in a certain area, and he wanted to show it off. Columbus is a very attractive city with amazing neighborhoods, and I think we see a lot of those beautiful shots of the skyline at dusk along the Scioto River, the Arena District all lite up, or German Village looking all historic and nice lol. He contributed to the thread, and I thank you for that.

Remember, every city has blighted areas, its no new news.

Lets try to get back on topic here people.

Old 02-01-2009, 12:00 AM

2,554 posts, read 6,900,018 times
Check out these photos of how the new Franklin County Courthouse is coming along:

http://www.urbanohio.com/forum2/inde...c,2149.90.html

Old 02-02-2009, 10:57 AM

14,044 posts, read 27,211,458 times
I found this site with some pictures of demolished Columbus buildings, some very nice:

The Ghosts of Columbus Past (http://columbusoh.about.com/library/blgone.htm - broken link)

Old 02-04-2009, 09:40 PM

80 posts, read 278,241 times
Quote:
I found this site with some pictures of demolished Columbus buildings, some very nice:

The Ghosts of Columbus Past (http://columbusoh.about.com/library/blgone.htm - broken link)
I have come across that site many times. When did the Christopher Inn get demolished? Was way before my time living here, but that postcard pic looks maybe 1970s? Only building there that I have been in was the Kahiki, and 8 years later I am still not happy about that being razed. One area Columbus could do better in, compared to larger coastal cities, is preservation. Even if the owner wanted to sell out and the chain wanted in, why just the generic design, rather than at least some form of preservation of that magnificent unique building?

Old 02-05-2009, 06:41 AM

212 posts, read 686,940 times
please remember this thread is for pictures of our great city of columbus, not for you yahoos to correct one another all day long. Thank you to those who have posted pics. I love the skylines and the old pics. Thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus