Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2015, 02:16 PM

424 posts, read 1,294,233 times

Advertisements

Ok, I lived in a beach town for many years and really loved the convenience of parking UNDER my house.

Anyway, here is my dumb question. I don't need any "Why would you want to do that??" responses, I know it's a silly question but I can't find an answer.

Do building codes allow houses to be built on stilts in Columbus? I know that it would probably be a heating nightmare with the cold air blowing under your house and what not, I am just curious. I have never seen or heard of one like this in Columbus. Occasionally I see them with Garages built under them but mostly in condos, not single family homes. I know also that most neighborhoods have height restrictions of 35 feet.

So again, NOT conscerned with why there AREN'T any houses built on stilts. The reasons seem obvious mostly. But is it ALLOWED in the city of Columbus. Figured I would post it on here to give you all a chuckle and maybe get a true answer from a builder before I contact city of Columbus zoning with something so frivolous.

Here is a far out example image
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2015, 06:19 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,071,077 times
No idea, but interesting question. As for why they're not built, that's probably less to do with the lack of tide floods from storms, but because basements are just really common.. tornadoes, storage, etc.

Old 02-09-2015, 03:38 AM

80 posts, read 142,311 times
I would think you could.. People build custom homes all the time. Like you said, i would make it a garage for your car and dry storage. We do have winter here..

Old 02-10-2015, 01:55 PM

90 posts, read 111,086 times
There are a lot of residential units in Columbus in 'Carriage Houses,' which are basically just one or multiple apartments above a garage. Very similar to your given example, except the garage is almost always enclosed here.

I don't see why you couldn't leave it open though if you wanted to. It sounds like quite an interesting project actually. Keep us updated, please!

Old 02-10-2015, 03:53 PM

73 posts, read 185,156 times
I think it's more an issue of practicality in relation to location and environment. Under house parking is not uncommon in this part of the country, except it's typically a real garage for the many advantages provided by enclosed parking (security, extra storage space, protection from wind, rain, snow, ice, UV, etc). The main reason they're up on stilts in beach communities is because high water (storm surge) is a real possibility, and they want the house to be hopefully above the surge level without sacrificing a lot of underneath structure ($$$) to the sea. If there's no chance of high water carrying it all away, you might as well enclose it. Also, sand and the high ground water levels found near the ocean do not lend themselves well to the type of foundations found in this part of the country.

Our former beachfront house in NC is (was) a good example. It had two semi-enclosed car ports underneath which included an outside shower stall, an elevated street side deck and ocean side wraparound porch with an extended boardwalk and gazebo, and lots of lovely landscaping, all "protected" by a large dune covered in vegetation (sea oats). Then one September a hurricane and storm surge took out everything but the stilted house itself, dune included, not only beachfront but in some cases as far inland as the third row. Many of the lots were scrubbed clean, leaving just a bunch of houses stranded up on stilts. Of course, the water being able to get around the stilts is what saved the houses themselves from collapse, as opposed to Midwest style block or poured foundations that would have washed out and taken the houses with them.

We very seldom get a storm surge in the Midwest, so most people want their under-house parking to be enclosed and secured. The "stilts" holding the house up is an actual block or poured foundation. In addition to insulation and heating issues, you'd also have to be concerned about pipes freezing in this part of the country if the house was elevated with no enclosed foundation.

Aside from the practical considerations, if you really want/need a definitive building code-related answer, I'd suggest calling the building code enforcement office of whatever area you're curious about. I'm sure they get more "frivolous" questions than that in a given day, and you'd have the answers straight from the horse's mouth instead of guesses, hearsay, and anecdotes from anonymous people on a public forum.

Old 02-26-2015, 10:37 AM

424 posts, read 1,294,233 times
Great responses!

Old 03-03-2015, 12:39 PM

90 posts, read 111,086 times
Check out this 1950s-era house/office on Olentangy River Rd,

http://goo.gl/maps/O9NKS
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus