Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2009, 04:38 PM

2 posts, read 6,180 times

Advertisements

I have accepted a position in Columbus, OH and will have to move there on the first week of December. Initially, my wife and I had wanted to purchase a home but have decided to rent for now.

I am looking for Apartment Complex recommendations within 20-25 mins of Dublin where I will work. I have been researching apartments all day in various rental sites and reading reviews on apartmentratings.com and other sources. Most complexes seem to have either really bad reviews or suspicious 5 star ones.

We are young professionals(early 30's, no kids, no pets) and our ideal price range is $700-$1100 for a two bedroom apartment. I am willing to go above this range if needed but I would rather save the excess in our bank accounts.

The important attributes for us are safety(ie a safe neighborhood), noise(we would rather not live in places with partying neighbors which is why we wouldnt want to live in a complex full of OSU students), cleanliness(no one wants to live in abject filth), newer construction(apartment complexes that are older tend to have outdated appliances and more maintenance issues) and maybe a little patch to plant some flowers in spring/summer.

Things we dont really need are extras like snazzy clubhouses, swimming pools, gyms, furnished apartments etc that most upscale apartments seem to push.

Any input will be appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2009, 05:13 PM

94 posts, read 333,639 times
Woods at Polaris. Westerville Polaris Luxury Apartments + Townhomes | Woods at Polaris Parkway | Westerville, OH
It's very quiet, good mix of young and some retired folks. It's a safe neighborhood. Meijer is within walking distance right next door. Everything is within .5 miles including Home Depot, Kroger, Giant Eagle, everything you need. And it's 5 miles East of Polaris Mall.

Jack is the assistant manager there, and is really cool to deal with. He's very helpful.

Also, the maintenance guys are very helpful. If you ever need something and you catch one of them outside, they'll help you out. There are no partiers here. Built in 1999 I believe. As far as safety goes, I'd have no hesitation to send a family member to live there. It's about a 20 miles drive to Dublin, no more than that.

Old 10-20-2009, 07:05 PM

797 posts, read 2,338,691 times
Westerville is nice, but there are also plenty of nice apartments in the Dublin area if that is where you will be working. The thing is, it may be a bit of a pain in the afternoons trying to deal with getting back home to Westerville since all the lanes of eastbound I-270 tend to get backed up fairly badly. I've seen all lanes of traffic stopped from west of Sawmill all the way past 315, 23, and 71. Of course it's not that bad every single day, but I would say that corridor is one of the top two areas for traffic congestion in the city and I wouldn't want to have to deal with it every day. Dublin also has plenty of shopping options such as the Tuttle Mall and lots of stores along Sawmill Rd, and isn't too far from Polaris if you needed to head up there for something random.

I have a two bedroom, 1.5 bath apartment with an outdoor deck/balcony that has a good sized storage closet on it where I keep my grill and a few other things. The kitchen has a full size dish washer, and a smaller room attached where you can hook up a washer/dryer. Regular rent, including an extra covered parking space, right now is $620 per month but for the first year for just the apartment I paid only $550 because of a move in deal. My particular unit is in pretty good shape and only on rare occasions do I hear my neighbors. You have the risk of that anywhere you move, but it's not a problem in my particular unit. There aren't going to be very many places in Dublin that are full of OSU students either so I don't think you should worry about that. It's normally about a 15-20 minute drive tops from my door to the Polaris Mall, but I've had it take up to 45-50 minutes during rush hour in the afternoons on bad days(that's why I wouldn't recommend Westerville). If you want to know more, send me a private message and I will get back to you.

BTW, I wouldn't put too much stock in the online apartment ratings. Most people who post there either have an ax to grind, blame the world for things that are their own fault, or work for the apartment complex. I checked it out when I was last moving and out of curiosity also checked the apartment I was currently living in. Despite the fact that the apartment was completely clean and new and had some of the friendliest staff I had ever met, posters were saying they had insect infestations, staff was rude, etc. Visit a place, check it out, and make your own conclusions. Good luck to you.

Old 10-20-2009, 08:58 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,222,159 times
I've heard some good reports about Camden Place, near Tuttle Mall. Also, I had a friend whose family stayed at The Orchard Apts, just south of Dublin, and really liked the place.

Old 10-20-2009, 09:23 PM

205 posts, read 653,988 times
When we first moved to Columbus we stayed at The Pines just outside of Dublin, which is just south of The Orchard on Wilcox. We really enjoyed our stay there, the people (tenants and staff) were very nice and we had absolutely no problems. The Orchard seems very nice too although I have no personal experience. Its close to the 270, Tuttle Crossing, and right in between Dublin and Hilliard.

The Pines At Tuttle Crossing

Old 10-21-2009, 06:48 AM

158 posts, read 404,693 times
The Crossings at Avery is a very nice place. Right in Dublin off of Avery and 33.

Old 10-21-2009, 09:32 AM

2 posts, read 6,180 times
Thank you for all the feedback. I have moved all your recommendations to the top of the list.

Malls are not that important to us. We do most of our shopping online and as long as we have a grocery store or two within a few miles of us, we will have be satisfied.

Old 10-23-2009, 05:17 AM

33 posts, read 101,131 times
I lived in Asherton of Dublin for 4 years I believe it was... definitely a nice place, pool, dock overlooking the lake/pond, good fishing (if you're into that), workout facility etc, it's in the nicest/wealthiest part of Dublin (for apartments at least....$$$$ homes are a little more north of there), close to groceries, chipotle, shopping strips. I would recommend it, although by the time I moved out, I felt like I was living in India (not that that's a terrible thing..just sayin how it is).

Old 10-23-2009, 04:00 PM

1,197 posts, read 3,582,995 times
Look in Marble Cliff. They're called the Roxbury Arms. Nice apartments. Y'all take care!

Old 07-20-2010, 01:23 PM

1 posts, read 2,363 times
Do not go to The Orchard. They will let you wait for a long time and they will say this and that. to be approve by Manager then to be approve by the Regional director, etc. etc. The Manager is in the meeting whole day..etc. etc. then they let you to pay 1 more month in advance
DO NOT go there the apartment is expensive and so many extras you dont need
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Ohio > Columbus