Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2010, 03:34 PM

449 posts, read 877,737 times

Advertisements

I backed up my files, and it went ok, then I clicked in Restore, for no other reason than I thought, if I backup my files, they must need restoring.............

After a few minutes, Windows Vista tells me that my Recovery drive [D] is full....................

Question: How do I apply more space to my recovery drive? Is there such a thing? Thank you,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2010, 11:43 PM

1,955 posts, read 10,983,616 times
As I mentioned in your other post, the D drive is just there as a backup of the factory configuration. It's not meant as a drive for a full backup of what's on your c: drive, nor was it meant to be erased, nor in this case, meant for you to restore a backup to.

Which brings the new question ... where did you backup your C: drive to? If it's somewhere on the C: drive, then that's akin to putting a spare car key inside your car. So in case you lock yourself out of your car, you can always get your spare key ... that's locked in your car .

Old 08-19-2010, 05:56 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
I backed up my files, and it went ok, then I clicked in Restore, for no other reason than I thought, if I backup my files, they must need restoring.............

After a few minutes, Windows Vista tells me that my Recovery drive [D] is full....................

Question: How do I apply more space to my recovery drive? Is there such a thing? Thank you,
You don't, you should not be adding, removing, or messing with your recovery partition (drive as you call it) at all. Where did you back up your files to?

Old 08-21-2010, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
You don't, you should not be adding, removing, or messing with your recovery partition (drive as you call it) at all. Where did you back up your files to?
How do I find that information out?

Windows asked me if I wanted to have my backup drive disabled, so I agreed because I was getting a flash telling me that my Recovery D drive was full. Right now, it is DISABLED.

At this point in time, I only remembered seeing two choices: Drive C, and Recovery Partition D. I tried to contact Gateway, but I have to pay to get technical information, and the support system present for free, is no good. My computer has some basic information about it, but Gateway only said that the drive is made out of two parts. It never said not to back up onto either one. .........Gateway was NOT very solicitious, in giving directions for beginners. Know I now......

If I had a WARNING on the information, I would have never backed onto it.

Do you think I should invest in an External Hard Drive, and try to back up to it? And if so, which one should I buy? Do I buy 500 gb, or one terrabyte? I have Windows Home Premium, with one gb of memory. Thank you,

Old 08-21-2010, 04:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
How do I find that information out?

Windows asked me if I wanted to have my backup drive disabled, so I agreed because I was getting a flash telling me that my Recovery D drive was full. Right now, it is DISABLED.

At this point in time, I only remembered seeing two choices: Drive C, and Recovery Partition D. I tried to contact Gateway, but I have to pay to get technical information, and the support system present for free, is no good. My computer has some basic information about it, but Gateway only said that the drive is made out of two parts. It never said not to back up onto either one. .........Gateway was NOT very solicitious, in giving directions for beginners. Know I now......

If I had a WARNING on the information, I would have never backed onto it.

Do you think I should invest in an External Hard Drive, and try to back up to it? And if so, which one should I buy? Do I buy 500 gb, or one terrabyte? I have Windows Home Premium, with one gb of memory. Thank you,
There is absolutely ZERO point in doing a backup if your doing the backup to the same drive your running on, if the drive fails your backup is gone. Your right on the mark with an external hard drive, use it for a backup of your PC.

Old 08-21-2010, 04:54 PM

Quote:
There is absolutely ZERO point in doing a backup if your doing the backup to the same drive your running on, if the drive fails your backup is gone. Your right on the mark with an external hard drive, use it for a backup of your PC.

Which one do you recommend, and how many gigabytes or terrabytes should I buy? thanks,

Old 08-21-2010, 05:29 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Sometimes snapshot backups of the C: drive are good things to do before adding new device drivers, installing major new applications, etc.

In that case, putting the backup files on the C: drive is okay, since the reason for a restore is to recover an old configuration, not recover from a hardware failure.

I typically recommend putting backups on a different hardware device, or at least a different partition, but with some users and machine configurations those aren't really easy options.

Last edited by rcsteiner; 08-21-2010 at 05:48 PM.. Reason: Corrected a misspelling.

Old 08-21-2010, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
Sometimes snapshot backups of the C: drive are good things to do before adding new device drivers, installing major new applications, etc.

In that case, putting the backup files on the C: drive is okay, since the reason for a restore is to recover an old configuration, not recover from a hardware failure.

I typically recommend putting backups on a different hardware device, or at least a different partition, but with some users and machine configurations those aren't really easy options.
Setting a system restore point is usually more than adequate for these situations, but if you get in the habit of keeping any backups off the system drive then you'll be in good shape.

Old 08-21-2010, 07:38 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,089,277 times
Quote:
Setting a system restore point is usually more than adequate for these situations, but if you get in the habit of keeping any backups off the system drive then you'll be in good shape.
I would rather trust a third party partition imaging program than Microsoft's built-in snapshot functionality. 22 years of using Windows (and encountering its many idiosyncrasies) has made me quite cautious about such things.

(I started with Windows/286 2.1 and MS-DOS 3.3)

Backups of any kind are usually better than no backups, though.

Old 08-21-2010, 08:27 PM

Exclamation Western Digital

My Book Essential 500 gb Desktop External Hard Drive, with USB 2.0. I found it in the Internet for $55, new. Do you think this is a good idea for my Windows Vista Home Premium, and if not, tell me WHY NOT , and recommend another one. Thank you,
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers