Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2010, 02:07 PM

449 posts, read 877,618 times

Advertisements

Where does one find Bios Memory Options to disable caching and shadowing? I have had two BSoD in a week. Among many things to do, it states to Delete Bios Memory Options for caching and shadowing.

I googled it with no help, it seems many people cannot find them in their computers. I went to Gateway User's Guide with no luck. I reboot the system pressing the F2 keys, no luck. I went into the Start Programs, typed it, no luck.

Does anyone has any ideas where I can find this elusive thing......... thanking you in advance,
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2010, 02:15 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,010,709 times
Reboot the computer and press the F1 (or F2 if it's an older computer) key as it's booting. That should get you into the BIOS menu.

Old 09-06-2010, 02:39 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
It could be F10 or Delete too. It all just depends on the computer.

I haven't thought about those BIOS options in YEARS. I wouldn't be surprised if they're no longer there.

If I had two BSoD's in a week, the first thing I would do is run a memory test. Dowload memtest86 and let it run overnight or until it finds something.

Old 09-06-2010, 03:35 PM

10,926 posts, read 21,997,495 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

I haven't thought about those BIOS options in YEARS. I wouldn't be surprised if they're no longer there.

If I had two BSoD's in a week, the first thing I would do is run a memory test. Dowload memtest86 and let it run overnight or until it finds something.
X2, and with it being a gateway it's likely those options aren't there.

Old 09-06-2010, 06:34 PM

8,323 posts, read 13,450,418 times
Miranda, those options were really meant for much older systems using a version of Windows that was too new for it and modify those settings often didn't even help because the real problem was either with the drivers or the device in question was simply not compatible with the version of Windows installed. One other quite common problem especially with the older PC100/133 SDRAM but with newer DDRAMs that should not even be a concerned. If Windows was installed and running fine for a while on this machine and then the BSoDs started, chances are either a newly installed device drivers or corrupt filesystem is the cause.

Updating the device drivers for a newly installed device or rolling back the drivers for a newly updated device driver would be a logical move.

If no such recent additions was made and knowing your recent history with malware infection, my guess is that Windows filesystem was damaged either due to the infection or during the disinfection.

A fresh install/factory restore would be the wisest move if I was right with my prediction in the earlier paragraph.

Good Luck.

PS. Has NHDave given his direct line to you yet? Perhaps he should?

Old 09-06-2010, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post
Miranda, those options were really meant for much older systems using a version of Windows that was too new for it and modify those settings often didn't even help because the real problem was either with the drivers or the device in question was simply not compatible with the version of Windows installed. One other quite common problem especially with the older PC100/133 SDRAM but with newer DDRAMs that should not even be a concerned. If Windows was installed and running fine for a while on this machine and then the BSoDs started, chances are either a newly installed device drivers or corrupt filesystem is the cause.

Updating the device drivers for a newly installed device or rolling back the drivers for a newly updated device driver would be a logical move.

If no such recent additions was made and knowing your recent history with malware infection, my guess is that Windows filesystem was damaged either due to the infection or during the disinfection.

A fresh install/factory restore would be the wisest move if I was right with my prediction in the earlier paragraph.

Good Luck.

LOL, I do very little phone support (I don't have the patience for it anymore), but I do remote support, only $75 an hour

Old 09-06-2010, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post

1. First I had difficulty with Internet failure to open. This has been happening many times this week, then both BSoD's have point out to Microsoft/Windows Ntkrnlpa. exe, as the driver cause. Should I delete it? Thank you,

Old 09-06-2010, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
1. First I had difficulty with Internet failure to open. This has been happening many times this week, then both BSoD's have point out to Microsoft/Windows Ntkrnlpa. exe, as the driver cause. Should I delete it? Thank you,
Ok, forgive me if this sounds rude, but what possible train of thought would bring you to the conclusion that you should delete a Windows system file? That is the last thing you should do, some of the conclusions that computer neophyte's come to boggle the mind sometimes
Seriously, you need to find a good local shop to help you, you've got so many different posts about the same issue I can't even keep up any more.
Not making fun of you, you just need more hands on help I think.

Old 09-06-2010, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurcoLoco View Post

Good Luck.

Turcoloco: I have not as yet, installed the External Hard Drive for backup because the first BSoD came immediately after I went into the Internet, so I never got a chance to do it. And the second, happened the same way.

What I did installed and have UNINSTALLED today was the Acronis 2010 True Image.

I have suspected for sometime that I may have compatibility issues with the Internet. I have Windows 6, and when I went from IE7 to IE8, I began to have disconnections from the Internet very often, and I still do. I had it all this week, in fact.

You mentioned "A fresh install/factory restore.........." Do you mean I need a new hard drive? And if I do, what do you recommend, and what type? Thank you,

Old 09-07-2010, 08:46 AM

181 posts, read 299,514 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Miranda Sebastian View Post
Turcoloco: I have not as yet, installed the External Hard Drive for backup because the first BSoD came immediately after I went into the Internet, so I never got a chance to do it. And the second, happened the same way.

What I did installed and have UNINSTALLED today was the Acronis 2010 True Image.

I have suspected for sometime that I may have compatibility issues with the Internet. I have Windows 6, and when I went from IE7 to IE8, I began to have disconnections from the Internet very often, and I still do. I had it all this week, in fact.

You mentioned "A fresh install/factory restore.........." Do you mean I need a new hard drive? And if I do, what do you recommend, and what type? Thank you,
What that means is formatting the hard drive (wiping it completely clean) and reinstalling the operating system so that you can start anew free of problems. If you go this route be sure to back up any important files on something other than the recover partition of your HDD
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers