Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-14-2010, 04:42 AM

3,562 posts, read 4,396,439 times

Advertisements

Greetings! I recently purchased a Sony VAIO laptop with Windows 7 operating system. For some reason, I am unable to connect to the internet via my home's LinkSys broadband 54G wireless router. However, I CAN connect to the internet thru other unsecured neighborhood wireless routers.

I am tempted to purchase a new router, but would first request reader's opinions regarding this matter.

I have done the typical disconnect the router/wait 20 seconds/reconnect thing. Still, no connectivity.

What exactly is creating this incompatibility between the new laptop and the old router?

Your inputs are appreciated. Thank you kindly.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-14-2010, 08:51 AM

16,677 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Are other computeres connecting to the router?

Are you trying to connect wirelessly or hard wired?

Old 09-14-2010, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mensaguy View Post
Are other computeres connecting to the router?

Are you trying to connect wirelessly or hard wired?
Hi. Yes, I can connect to the internet via the exsting wireless router wth my old laptop.

Others in the house can also connect via their laptops.

I cannot connect to this router via my new laptop.

Old 09-14-2010, 01:48 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
Hi. Yes, I can connect to the internet via the exsting wireless router wth my old laptop.

Others in the house can also connect via their laptops.

I cannot connect to this router via my new laptop.
Then you don't need a new router. The problem is in the laptop wireless setup.

I will ask the obvious because I've seen this so many times: Is the wireless turned on in the laptop? Sometimes there is a switch or button that will activate/deactivate wireless. On my HP there is a blue light that looks like a little tower with a couple of radio waves coming off each side that tells me it's on.

You might check the manual that came with the laptop. Or tell us the model and one of us will research it for you.

One other thing is to go to Start/Control Panel/Network and Sharing Center and click on Wireless Network Connection partway down the right side. In the dialog box that opens click on Diagnose and follow the prompts.

Old 09-14-2010, 06:04 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Please provide the steps you took to connect and what encryption level your using.

Old 09-14-2010, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHDave View Post
Please provide the steps you took to connect and what encryption level your using.
First of all, thank you all for your advice.

NHDave, the steps I took to connect was to merely search for my home's wireless router which was listed along with several other routers within my vicinity. Upon selecting mine own, it asks for the 10 digit code which I entered. The communication stops at the router.

I do not know enough about this to answer. . ."what encryption level your using."

But as stated, given that I can access the internet from my new laptop when I select a nearby unsecured wireless router, I doubt that the problem is within the new laptop.

All suggestions are welcomed.

Old 09-14-2010, 08:01 PM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chacho_keva View Post
First of all, thank you all for your advice.

NHDave, the steps I took to connect was to merely search for my home's wireless router which was listed along with several other routers within my vicinity. Upon selecting mine own, it asks for the 10 digit code which I entered. The communication stops at the router.

I do not know enough about this to answer. . ."what encryption level your using."

But as stated, given that I can access the internet from my new laptop when I select a nearby unsecured wireless router, I doubt that the problem is within the new laptop.

All suggestions are welcomed.
I would agree, and given that you have other laptops connected to your router it's safe to assume that the problem isn't there. By encryption level I mean either WEP, WPA, or WPA2. Have you logged on to your router to confirm that your using the correct key? Usually when your issue occurs it's because either the wrong encryption key is being used or the wireless card in the computer doesn't support the encryption level that's in use, and seeing as your Sony is brand new, the chances that it doesn't support either of the 3 encryption levels is pretty slim.

Old 09-15-2010, 09:40 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
There is a box you can check (IIRC) that will display the characters when you type in the encryption key. If you are as good at typing as I am you might want to turn this on.

And by the way, I apologize for being totally dense with my previous response. Sometimes I misread posts and yours was one of them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers