Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-07-2011, 10:14 AM

2,682 posts, read 4,481,853 times

Advertisements

Hi All. I am looking to buy a mini-laptop as a gift to be used primarily for email, surfing the net (facebook, instant messenger etc) and streaming video (youtube, hulu etc). What would be considered a good one out there? I am looking to spend about $200. Also, do any of them have DVD drives? My parents bought a refurbished one for my little bro at Dell for about $200, I liked it, but the mouse/clicker was a little weird. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-07-2011, 10:49 AM

1,955 posts, read 10,984,445 times
Most ultra-portable laptops and netbooks will NOT have a drive built in. If you need the drive, expect to spend another $40 or so for an external one.

At the $200 price, there isn't any new netbook which I'd recommend.

If your storage needs are modest, then my suggestion would be to use the exclusive 25% off coupon from here and get an off-lease Dell Latitude D420 or D430 with a Core 2 processor. About 3 pounds, 12.1" widescreen, a keyboard with normal key spacing (very important if you touch type), and as these were target to business travelers, its construction is better than many of the "consumer" models.

Aim for a configuration with 2gb ram (or prepare to spend an extra $20 to upgrade from 1gb), and the largest hard drive you feel you can live with. There are a some that have Windows XP (if you despise Windows Vista) and some do include the external drive. These computers use a 1.8" hard drive (think the iPod Classic's hard drive) and are not as readily upgradable as those which use 2.5" hard drives. They'll have a 100-day warranty (extended warranty available from SquareTrade).

Last edited by Narfcake; 02-07-2011 at 11:14 AM.. Reason: grammar

Old 02-07-2011, 11:12 AM

26,329 posts, read 93,779,981 times
I have a dell mini 10 with built in 3G wireless card. I use it for surfing while in my vanpool. I like everything about it except one thing: the keyboard is sort of small (naturally) and for some reason occaisionally when I am typing I must accidentally hit the wrong combination of keys/ctrl/alt/space bar/ or tap the finger pad and that sometimes causes the cursor to move several characters elsewhere in the text I am typing. So, in a dark van at 5am i'll be typing something and the second half of my sentence will be located somewhere inserted a couple sentences earlier. Bottom line, I think it is a function of the small keyboard and my big hands.

I dont' think you can buy one fror $200 though, probably closer to $300 or $350 and I bought mine from the dell outlet.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers