Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2011, 10:44 PM

30,358 posts, read 51,942,966 times

Advertisements

I should title that "Switch BACK to Mac?" since that's what I started with - but we're talking many years ago, so I'm clueless about the current Apple computers. Anyway, I desperately need a new laptop, as my 2.5 year-old HP Pavilion is dying a slow death... keys are missing/broken, the hard drive was recently replaced, and a variety of other issues. My friend who replaced the hard drive (he's a technician) said it won't last long, and will probably be "non-fixable" within 3-6 months. He recommended replacing it with a Mac, as supposedly they last longer with fewer repair needs.

What are your opinions on Mac vs PC laptops? The laptop is my only home computer, and I primarily use it for basic Internet stuff (email, news, forums, etc) and light gaming... I mostly just play Sims, trivia/word games, and desktop-based games from BigFish. I do travel occasionally, and therefore want something that's fairly portable, but also with a DVD/CD drive & good battery life. I'd like to keep costs under $1000, and even that is pushing it. Any recommendations?

P.S. Will I have to replace all of my software if I switch, or are things more compatible these days?

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 10-01-2011 at 11:11 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-13-2011, 04:20 AM

7,138 posts, read 11,030,239 times
Take your pick.

MacBook Air 11-inch : 64GB
1.6GHz dual-core Intel Core i5
processor
2GB memory
64GB flash storage1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
In Stock
Free Shipping
$999.00

MacBook Air - Buy MacBook Air notebook computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

MacBook Pro 13-inch: 2.3 GHz
2.3GHz dual-core
Intel Core i5
4GB 1333MHz
320GB 5400-rpm1
Intel HD Graphics 3000
Built-in battery (7 hours)2
In Stock
Free Shipping
$1,199.00

MacBook Pro - Buy MacBook Pro notebook computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

If thats too much, look for one in the Apple Refurb store. Lots there to choose from, under $1000

Refurbished Mac Computers - Refurbished Laptops, Notebooks & Desktop Computers - Apple Store (U.S.)

Old 09-13-2011, 05:35 AM

15,432 posts, read 25,814,526 times
I got a Mac Book Pro recently. I'm a Windows guy. I like it very much. However, I'm still not sure it is worth the extra money we paid for it. If you get one you will like it very much. My PC laptops have always lasted me 5+ years, so I don't think that will be much of a difference. Almost everything we use on Windows works on the Mac, except for certain specialized programs which do not have Mac versions. If you don't have to worry about special applications then I think it will be fine to switch. It's up to you.

Old 09-13-2011, 07:27 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
^^^ Same here have had my Mac Book Pro almost two years, software-wise it's considerably easier to maintain than my Windows system, updating virus/trojan/whatever defs are a thing of the past. Backups are a dream compared to my Windows machine. Don't see the goofy problems like I do on the other machine.

Hardware-wise I'm disappointed...

~ After 16 months I've had to replace the AC adapter
~ My battery life is now down to about 2 hours before recharging (about $100 bucks to replace it, my labor)
~ The headphone jack no longer works

Like the OS, hardware (for the cost) nope....

Old 09-13-2011, 07:28 AM

34,090 posts, read 82,975,811 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dkf747 View Post
...I'm a Windows guy. I like it very much...
If you don't have to worry about special applications...
This.
Thankfully that category of software is less than it EVER was...
and getting smaller every day.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:39 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Not to mention you can dual boot Windows if you had to...

Don't be fooled though Macs can definitely fail hardware-wise just like any computer.

And even though Macs are still good against viruses you still have to worry about being careful online. Where I believe the real danger can happen and where Macs aren't really safer.

The only thing you say you want is battery life and Macs excel at that. I haven't seen a cheap PC with good battery life, well unless you get a huge battery pack.

If it weren't for your stipulation about needing a DVD player then you'd almost be fine with an iPad...

Go to an apple store and try a couple out.

Old 09-13-2011, 09:36 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,664,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harhar View Post
The only thing you say you want is battery life and Macs excel at that. I haven't seen a cheap PC with good battery life, well unless you get a huge battery pack.

If it weren't for your stipulation about needing a DVD player then you'd almost be fine with an iPad...
The main difference here is that a cheap Mac is $1000 and a cheap PC is $350. Once you get to a $1000 PC you aren't in the cheap seats anymore.

As for almost being fine with an iPad; besides the DVD, it also won't run any of the apps that the OP listed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gizmo980 View Post
P.S. Will I have to replace all of my software if I switch, or are things more compatible these days?
You'll probably have to re purchase most of your software. While you'll probably find Mac versions available, the windows versions that you have won't install on the Mac.

Big Fish has a Mac tab, so you could check the list of available games to see if the ones you own / like are on it. You'd also have to check to see if you can download the Mac versions (this may be one area where you don't have to re buy them).

Last edited by ShadowCaver; 10-01-2011 at 11:12 PM..

Old 09-13-2011, 10:07 AM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
That's really my biggest issue with Mac... price.
I like all technology, and Macs are fine machines., but...
If Apple would sell a $600 laptop new to compete with the inexpensive WinTel Laptops, they would really start stealing market share. But they prefer to be a niche player and sell those "low end" $1,000 laptops which is the cheapest one they sell.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:08 AM

3,004 posts, read 6,274,779 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
The main difference here is that a cheap Mac is $1000 and a cheap PC is $350. Once you get to a $1000 PC you aren't in the cheap seats anymore.
No but if the OP is willing to spend that much and wants good battery life Macs are a safe bet; They consistently have good battery life.

Quote:
As for almost being fine with an iPad; besides the DVD, it also won't run any of the apps that the OP listed.
There are versions of those games and apps.

Quote:
You'll probably have to re purchase most of your software. While you'll probably find Mac versions available, the windows versions that you have won't install on the Mac.
Unless he dual boots.

Quote:
Big Fish has a Mac tab, so you could check the list of available games to see if the ones you own / like are on it. You'd also have to check to see if you can download the Mac versions (this may be one area where you don't have to re buy them).
Yup,. I can't search here at work but there are some threads in Google that ask about this very topic.

Old 09-13-2011, 10:22 AM

4,035 posts, read 10,296,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
That's really my biggest issue with Mac... price.
I like all technology, and Macs are fine machines., but...
If Apple would sell a $600 laptop new to compete with the inexpensive WinTel Laptops, they would really start stealing market share. But they prefer to be a niche player and sell those "low end" $1,000 laptops which is the cheapest one they sell.
Yes, but get what you pay for. What’s the use of a $350 machine that falls apart? Macs don’t self-destruct (keys are missing/broken, the hard drive was recently replaced) in under three years. People pay a lot of attention to the look of Macs, but to me, the feel is equally, if not more, important. The unibody construction is really solid and feels great in the hand. PC laptops, unless they’re really high-end and more expensive than Macs, feel cheap and flimsy, which they are.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers