Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-10-2011, 08:43 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times

Advertisements

This probably belongs in the Tech Forum, but there are so many smart techies here in Austin I'll give it a try.

Once again I lost all songs on my iPhone during upgrade to iOS5. I only have the "Purchased" music remaining. This makes me so mad.

So, before I sit down for the third time in 4 years, over the span of days and weeks, and insert music CDs one at a time to be imported into iTunes, and have my wife and kids do the same for the CDs they want, I'm wondering if there is a way to burn all the family music CDs one last time to an external hard drive folder and then have all that music available in a common shared library to any device or computer on the home network, including iPhones.

Has anyone done exactly this? What are the steps?

Steve

Last edited by Bo; 11-11-2011 at 07:50 AM.. Reason: Moved from Austin forum after Post #25.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-10-2011, 09:51 AM

7,742 posts, read 15,134,243 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by austin-steve View Post
This probably belongs in the Tech Forum, but there are so many smart techies here in Austin I'll give it a try.

Once again songs on my iPhone during upgrade to iOS5. I only have the "Purchased" music remaining. This makes me so mad.

So, before I sit down for the third time in 4 years, over the span of days and weeks, and insert music CDs one at a time to be imported into iTunes, and have my wife and kids do the same for the CDs they want, I'm wondering if there is a way to burn all the family music CDs one last time to an external hard drive folder and then have all that music available in a common shared library to any device or computer on the home network, including iPhones.

Steve
Im not sure what you are talking about here. You shouldnt have lost your burned music. If for whatever reason itunes cant find it, I can almost guarantee the music is still on your hard drive. You just need to find the top level folder and point itunes at it.

There are also apps which will copy music from your ipod/iphone back to the computer. This is for the case where you lose your computer.

Old 11-10-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:

Once again I lost all songs on my iPhone during upgrade to iOS5. I only have the "Purchased" music remaining. This makes me so mad.

Steve
I would add that I had an ipod mini, iphone 2g, iphone 3g and iphone 4 and have never had to reload music from CD's

Old 11-10-2011, 09:58 AM

6,333 posts, read 18,061,638 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Austin97 View Post
Im not sure what you are talking about here. You shouldnt have lost your burned music. If for whatever reason itunes cant find it, I can almost guarantee the music is still on your hard drive. You just need to find the top level folder and point itunes at it.

There are also apps which will copy music from your ipod/iphone back to the computer. This is for the case where you lose your computer.
Actually I had to reformat and reload OS7 on my laptop. I didn't have an iTunes backup on an external drive, but I did have all songs on my iPhone. When I reload iTunes 10 and synced it, the songs remained on my iPhone. But when I updated to iOS5, they disappeared and are not on the hard drive. Not sure why. User error, I know.

Anyway, I'm back to scratch.

Steve

Old 11-10-2011, 10:16 AM

361 posts, read 1,164,244 times
Use icloud. For I think 25 per year, you can store your music and won't have to burn every time.

Old 11-10-2011, 10:20 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Regardless of how you "rip" your music, I suggest you have iTunes only add folders to its library. Do not import the music. If you add folders, iTunes essentially links to the music instead of copying the files into its own libraries.

iTunes is a terrible piece of software. The best way in my opinion to use it is to keep a distance between it and your music files not purchased from iTunes.

I use iTunes ONLY to copy music to my Nano so I can use it with my car audio adapter. I don't buy music through iTunes either. I buy from Amazon because their music is MP3 format, not AAC, and playable on any music device.

Add: this is how my kids use iTunes with the main music library located on my computer. They add the music folder to their own copy of iTunes via the shared network files.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:03 PM

Quote:
Actually I had to reformat and reload OS7 on my laptop. I didn't have an iTunes backup on an external drive, but I did have all songs on my iPhone. When I reload iTunes 10 and synced it, the songs remained on my iPhone. But when I updated to iOS5, they disappeared and are not on the hard drive. Not sure why. User error, I know.

Anyway, I'm back to scratch.

Steve
Let me make sure I understand:

1) you reinstalled your OS, wiping your computer hard drive completely (i.e. all music gone). The music was still on your phone
2) You synced with itunes 10 which didnt touch the music on your phone (it also will not copy music from your phone to your drive, you can do this manually by putting your phone into hard drive mode and manually copying them - in the future). Itunes will never copy non-purchased music from an iphone to the computer.
3) When you updated to ios5 it completely wiped out your phone which had the only copy of your music.

There is a small chance that you still have a full backup sync in itunes which contains all the music. Everytime you sync with itunes it makes an incremental backup. Depending on your luck you may have 3-4 incremental backups. Before you did the IOS 5 upgrade it almost certainly made a backup

Do some searches for how to use an earlier version of the restore.

Once you have restored your music, you can get a free app that will migrate your music from the phone to the PC.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:12 PM

2,238 posts, read 9,019,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
iTunes is a terrible piece of software.
QFT.

iTunes is horrific. Just try to use it with a couple of iPhones, an iPad, and two iPods. It's a nightmare. If it tries to install iPad apps on my phone one more time, I may have to dig up Steve Jobs just to punch him in the face.

Also, never buy music from iTunes. Unless they've changed the policy, you only get to transfer songs to 5 different devices then you have to rebuy it.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
QFT.

iTunes is horrific. Just try to use it with a couple of iPhones, an iPad, and two iPods. It's a nightmare. If it tries to install iPad apps on my phone one more time, I may have to dig up Steve Jobs just to punch him in the face.

Also, never buy music from iTunes. Unless they've changed the policy, you only get to transfer songs to 5 different devices then you have to rebuy it.
You can clear the devices as authorized device and call in and they will reset the #.

Old 11-10-2011, 12:50 PM

13,714 posts, read 31,187,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by achtungpv View Post
QFT.

I hadn't used iTunes in many years until three weeks ago when I bought my Nano. Installed it fresh, and the choices it made for me at installation were 100% wrong. It picked the wrong music folder. It created playlists for every artist. You can't delete a folder easily. On and on.

It is amazing that the Nano is so good, but iTunes is so bad. And I am using it with just ONE device.

I weaned all my kids from buying music from Apple. They buy from Amazon instead.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers