Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2012, 07:21 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times

Advertisements

Ok guys, tell me what Im doing wrong. By the way, Im using my cellphone to connect to the internet.

I have a laptop Gateway P6312. I drop the thing about two days ago and surprise, I had to reinstall the operating system, erasing absolutely everything. Im over about losing all my documents, pictures, etc; but Im still not over having lost my wireless and network connection.

I used a friends computer to download on a disc some of the drivers available at the Gateway website and yes, Im positively sure they are for my laptop model.

I install one of the chipsets and one of the wirelass lan files. The result? Nothing!

No connection what-so-ever.

I went into the Device Manager and in the Network Adapters menu it only list the RLT8168 ethernet thing. I dont know what happened to the 801.-something that allows for the wireless connection to function. Before dropping the laptop, it all worked fine and everything came installed.

Under the Other Devices menu it shows two "unknown devices" and a video controller that it claims is not installed and as of yet, I havent figured out how to reinstall.

Can someone help me?

What do I need to do to get my wireless network and internet connection back?

Please be adviced that I will be looking at this thread a few times during the weekend, so dont feel ignored if I dont respond rapidly. Thanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2012, 07:32 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,534,911 times
You need to determine the exact wireless card in your laptop, and get the correct driver for that card. Installing the wrong driver will give the exact results you experienced, they won't work.

Old 04-06-2012, 07:33 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Since you have unknown devices in Device Manager, its obvious you don't have all the drivers loaded for your laptop. If your wifi still doesn't work after clearing all the unknown devices, its possible something's physically damaged. Maybe the laptop has a socketed wireless card that came loose in the drop. Computers don't like to be dropped.

Old 04-07-2012, 11:17 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Wireless drivers are towards the bottom of this screen.

Gateway Support - Downloads & Support Documents - Notebook / P Series / P-63

You probably need to enter your serial number or specific model number to determine which wireless card is in your computer. A call to Gateway may also be needed if the information is not on their site.

Old 04-07-2012, 02:42 PM

10,097 posts, read 14,965,663 times
Hey guys!

I finally fixed the problem and am now back in business! lol

I went back to the Gateway website, downloaded all the wireless LAN drivers and installed all of them. I figure, one of them got to work. I don't know which one is working, but whatever, I got my internet back! lol

To those that offered some help, thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers