Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-28-2012, 10:19 AM

1,325 posts, read 2,365,111 times

Advertisements

I work for fortune 500 insurance company. Business casual (nothing less than collared shirt/khakis), with exception of suit and tie if we travel to headquarters, or we attend meetings here with bigwigs. I like wearing a suit and tie every so often.
Quick reply to this message

Old 06-28-2012, 01:26 PM

715 posts, read 1,149,189 times
In the late 80's & 90's, I was in IT for Wall St. firms. Two or three piece suits, suspenders, wingtips or penny loafers , etc... I kind of miss those days. Everyone looked cooler in the office, in my opinion. I might be imagining it but I think you get more respect from people if you're weating a suit than if you aren't. "Dress for success" is still true in most cases.

I still do this once or twice a week, never on the same day. Sort of my reverse dress down. It also has the advantage of conditioning people in your office. At first, everyone kids you about "So, how'd the interview go?". I say: "it went great! But we're still haggling over money .... ". But nobody knows if I really went on an interview or not.

Old 06-28-2012, 02:24 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,129,284 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastninja500 View Post
In the late 80's & 90's, I was in IT for Wall St. firms. Two or three piece suits, suspenders, wingtips or penny loafers , etc... I kind of miss those days. Everyone looked cooler in the office, in my opinion. I might be imagining it but I think you get more respect from people if you're weating a suit than if you aren't. "Dress for success" is still true in most cases.
Absolutely. Nowadays a lot of people dress for leisure (club wear) rather than success. It's sad really.

Old 06-28-2012, 03:18 PM

8,307 posts, read 13,439,396 times
I have walked away from job interviews or turned down job opportunities when I found out they required business pro dress code (shirt, tie, etc.). Even if I was just sitting at a desk, I still wouldn't want to dress that way but when I have to move around get down and dirty, I can't stand long sleeve dress shirt but especially the effing tie.
The way I look at it, if a company is that uptight or old school with their IT dress code, then the company atmosphere would not suit me anyhow. I have tried couple of jobs with that kinda sh.tty dress code and I was right, I hated the people and the company just as much as the dress code.

I realized the more comfortable I am with what I am wearing to work, the better I do my work.

Oh, fastninja, if I couldn't build the rapport to get respect from the people I am working with or servicing, I doubt dressing up would help. If it does, that would mean I am not wearing the clothes, the clothes are wearing me, if you know what I mean?

Old 06-29-2012, 10:08 PM

11,334 posts, read 26,078,419 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lije Baley View Post
Btw check out those tape transports - I saw a pic somewhere of the motors that control the reels and they were HUGE, not surprising since they have to have such tight control over the speed/distance they move the tape.
Ever seen a FASTRAND drive?

The FASTRAND II

Old 06-29-2012, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I've been involved with both. Many companies in both categories have relaxed their dress code to club wear. The finance sector has maintained a more reasonable dress code.
Reasonable? What does that mean?

I just wear polo shirts and slacks, and that's typical for my workplace, but I'm not a UNIX admin or anything, just a mainframe/UNIX application programmer and script junkie.

Leave the techies who aren't management wannabes alone. We aren't (usually) hired for our nice looks.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asheville Native View Post
What, no pocket protectors
I wore one for a few years when I was just starting. Dress shirts and tie, too. Of course, I was working as a contractor at a customer site, so we had to look the part.

Old 06-30-2012, 06:59 AM

12,918 posts, read 16,857,522 times
It really depends on what you mean by "tech." If it's a guy who has to check the cables under the desks or fix the printers, he probably shouldn't be wearing a suit.

But if it's a person in software development who meets with managers in other departments, that is different.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 PM

279 posts, read 854,120 times
shirt with collar/polo shirt and any kind of pants is good enough for my job. I have to crawl under desk, unjam printers, train stupid people that causes problems...

Old 06-30-2012, 03:05 PM

16,294 posts, read 28,522,660 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcsteiner View Post
I wore one for a few years when I was just starting. Dress shirts and tie, too. Of course, I was working as a contractor at a customer site, so we had to look the part.
Yea, that was my role also, always in a customer site, a lot of them banks.

Tie was always a clip on, some of the things I worked on could drag you through them, especially the check sorters.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers