Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-05-2012, 04:26 AM

15,437 posts, read 25,836,709 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
I prefer desktops. They're cheap, fast, reliable, expandable, and repairable. I look at a desktop as something I can keep running as long as I need it. I look at a laptop as something that will either break or have some component become functionally obsolete before I'm ready, then the whole unit is junk.
I have always run my laptops for as long as my desktops. I don't see much of a difference between them as far as reliability goes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-05-2012, 06:28 AM

6,593 posts, read 11,300,312 times
In essence, I think we'll be moving to centralized computing of some sort. Basically prioritizing availability/accessibility over customization.

As another poster have mentioned - power users will always need a desktop for graphic/modeling type of work. That said, mobile computing (and not just referring to the hardware, but also the ability to access the same OS/desktop from anywhere) is certainly changing the desktop configs for a lot of casual business users. Many businesses are looking (or have already somewhat implemented) VDI infrastructures. For now, those desktops are still being used.... but as VDI continues to take hold, the computers will start to lean more towards thin clients. For many businesses, this provides a tremendous cost savings as the bulk of your management and break fixes are centralized (resources needed for software upgrades and even OS upgrades are significantly reduced). Security is also centralized as controls can even be placed at the hypervisor level.

Currently, I'm working with my client to move to a VDI environment. If all works out, the majority of users will be using zero-clients at work. It's basically a 24" monitor with USB ports for mouse/keyboard. There is no OS, simply a VDI client (i.e. VMWare view) that connects to a VM farm. They can also access that same desktop via their tablets, or any other computer (with additional controls to secure/validate the connection).

I also see this potentially moving towards the home market in the future... many users simply have just basic needs (web, email, web based apps etc). So 'cloud providers' could basically have VDI environments for lease. You have a thin client at home, you connect to a VDI infrastructure you pay $15-$20 a month. And there will be a catalog of premium applications you can chose that will be installed onto your image (increasing your monthly lease). With that, you can access that desktop from anywhere, and have zero maintenance needs (i.e. A/V, upgrades etc. will all be included in the charge).

There will always be a subset of users that would require standalone environments (gamers, home offices etc.), but the model could certainly work for many consumer users.

Old 09-05-2012, 07:57 AM

16,554 posts, read 19,725,221 times
It does amaze me, Escape, that you still consider tablets "toys".
No, they are not as powerful a business tool as a laptop. Of course. But today's tablet with the available apps on the market is a very sufficient productivity tool in the right hands (i.e. with the right person configuring it).
My boss got a 3G ipad3. I have this thing SO dialed in now his laptop hasn't left his office in a month. He used to take it home every day.
He takes it to court (lawyer), and uses it... never took his laptop to court. Well, he might have taken it but he rarely used it.
With the available apps out there now, tablets certainly CAN replace laptops for a large majority of end users...
Can his secretary give up her desktop for a tablet? No chance. But the gap closes tighter every week.

As for laptops still needing to play catchup: I don't know another (real life) person that has a more powerful desktop computer then my laptop.
i7 3.0 GHZ, 16GB Ram and a Geforce 560M.
I have a few online friends with more powerful gaming rigs, but no one with anything even close to my rig in RL.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:32 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,468,264 times
I want a machine that can do what I need on its own. A tablet is a series of "well since it can't do X, you need to install Y". Its like buying a scooter when you need a car, then trying to modify it until it can carry 5 people and cargo, do 70 on the freeway, and keep everyone dry in the rain. But I guess when most people are too ignorant to use a computer, they need something they can finger paint on without hurting themselves.

Old 09-05-2012, 09:44 AM

4,530 posts, read 8,873,325 times
My Nephew has his Desktop hooked up to a huge High Def TV/Monitor. Spending eight hours a day with a sixty inch monitor sure beats looking at a small 17 inch screen. As soon as my 27 inch monitor goes down I am going to replace it with at least a 40 inch screen. I would go larger but my office is only 15 feet x 15 feet so any larger than 40" would be a waste.

GL2

Old 09-05-2012, 10:17 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,468,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunluvver2 View Post
My Nephew has his Desktop hooked up to a huge High Def TV/Monitor. Spending eight hours a day with a sixty inch monitor sure beats looking at a small 17 inch screen. As soon as my 27 inch monitor goes down I am going to replace it with at least a 40 inch screen. I would go larger but my office is only 15 feet x 15 feet so any larger than 40" would be a waste.

GL2
High definition is only 1080 lines of resolution, no matter how big the screen. I'm a resolution junkie. My dream setup would include a pair of 30" monitors with 1600 lines each.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:05 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,163,584 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lentzr View Post
However, I have a strong preference for desktop. Why?

1. No worries about breaking (I can be clumsy) or having it stolen.
A laptop can be secured. Sure, a desktop is less convenient to lift from your home, but if someone makes it into your home, you probably have bigger things to worry about. The chances of theft from inside the home is generally really small.
Quote:
2. Memory and speed is still a little better.
Generally true, but for most users the difference in speed and memory will not matter. The W530 is capable of 32GB of RAM, two SSDs/HDs and is quad core. A faster desktop is available, but this configuration will meet the needs of those who demand relatively high power.
Quote:
3. Options for expansion. I have expanded before.
The desktop has a laptop beat in terms of expansion. However, most people don't need a significant amount of expansion and both laptops and desktops are so cheap now that I figure I can just upgrade more often.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tpk-nyc View Post
You forgot the biggest advantage of a desktop for most users: the size of the monitor. The trend in desktops is towards the all-in-one, which is essentially the guts of a laptop soldered onto the back of a monitor.

Docking stations have never been popular with the home users so some people have two machines. That will change as Thunderbolt ports become popular. They use a single cable as a power source, monitor and data connection. The technology is not widespread and the monitors themselves are expensive, but it, or something like it, is probably the wave of the future. Of course, the ultimate would be some sort of wireless connection. I'm not an engineer, but I suspect that's a long way off.
Laptops generally carry the same ports as a desktop. Without a docking station, you can hook up any normal monitor to a laptop just like you can to a desktop.

Old 09-05-2012, 11:09 AM

Quote:
The difference is in the operating system. A tablet, regardless of how big it is or if it has a keyboard, is a presently a toy compared to an ultrabook.
Tablet PCs are tablets and they are available in more powerful configurations than Ultrabooks. So not all tablets are "toys".

Old 09-05-2012, 11:13 AM

Quote:
I prefer desktops. They're cheap, fast, reliable, expandable, and repairable. I look at a desktop as something I can keep running as long as I need it. I look at a laptop as something that will either break or have some component become functionally obsolete before I'm ready, then the whole unit is junk.

Business customers will be buying desktops for a long time to come so I don't see PC makers discontinuing them. A laptop can never "catch up" to a desktop because the same advances that allow a laptop to improve also push desktop performance ahead.
Business laptops are as reliable as desktops. Around here, most corporations are fitting their employees with laptops unless they are graphics designers or someone who runs high performance applications.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers