Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-20-2012, 07:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Friend just got a Lenovo U400. Wow! Color me impressed.
Very "Applish" looking well built pretty laptop. Recommend.
Yea, the Ideapads are very consumer oriented in terms of styling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
What makes the thinkpad that much better?

I am not married to having a 17 inch screen. For that matter I can use a nice large monitor for not that much money and a standalone keypad ....... probably be nicer to the computer to work that way. I think that is part of why the work laptops last so long as they are docked much of the time

EDIT-digging into the reviews and I see some basic design elements, body, keyboard everything. I am going to do some looking at the thinkpad line.
ThinkPads are known for their build quality and ergonomics. They have the best keyboards if you type a lot. They have a trackpoint which is a superior pointing device compared to the touchpad, but it has a learning curve.

However, ThinkPads aren't pretty. Plain, black, rugged look.

Old 11-20-2012, 07:53 AM

13,714 posts, read 31,176,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by grannynancy View Post
What makes the thinkpad that much better?

I am not married to having a 17 inch screen. For that matter I can use a nice large monitor for not that much money and a standalone keypad ....... probably be nicer to the computer to work that way. I think that is part of why the work laptops last so long as they are docked much of the time

EDIT-digging into the reviews and I see some basic design elements, body, keyboard everything. I am going to do some looking at the thinkpad line.
Thinkpads are built to a very high standard. The frame, the components, the connectors, etc. displays, etc are built for a demanding professional user. The frame for example in some models is magnesium. The new X1 is carbon fiber. Thinkpads are not bulky - instead they are light and rugged.

Just my opinion - but I would never buy a 17 inch laptop. They are thick heavy monsters. If you need a big display sometimes just use an external monitor. Instead buy a 15 inch with a high resolution display. 1600x900 for example instead of the standard 1366x768.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:15 AM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
Really HPs are dependable? not in my case. ever since i bought my HP craptop it has given me headache after headache. so i will recommend anything NOT HP. always liked ASUS for some reason especially with what u said that it has dedicated graphics card.

so my verdict:

buy anything NOT HP.
3 HP (well, one Compaq) here and they have all worked flawlessly. One of them is six years old.

Sometimes it's the user, not the computer...

Old 11-20-2012, 10:37 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
I am really leaning heavily to the Lenovo. I know it is the bottom of the Barrel but I have been to a whole bunch of sites with different user reviews and it seems the G7xx line has favorable end user reviews though magazine reviewers tend to indicate it is bottom end. But I am looking for something to manage family files, photographs, etc...not gaming, not even web surfing. maybe the ocassional youtube video or TV news clip.

I think for the cost the components look pretty good -- I have a glossy screen on my Acer that doesnt bother me. That is my biggest concern. I would get a desktop but I do want to move it from room to room ocassionally but always use it on a desk.

Lenovo G780 17.3" Laptop | Shop | Lenovo | (US)

Old 11-20-2012, 10:41 AM

633 posts, read 724,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
3 HP (well, one Compaq) here and they have all worked flawlessly. One of them is six years old.

Sometimes it's the user, not the computer...
this case it's the laptop tx2z is known for problems i actually even knew it before i bought it i read reviews about and it's all complaint but it's the cheapest laptop and also tablet that i can find that time if u consider $900 cheap.

right now my HP craptop is plugged 24/7 because if i turn it off who knows when it wants to turn on? and get this... for me to force it to turn on, i've to blow it with hair dryer bahaah wat a joke. in fact it now has message on battery icon - consider replacing your battery . yes, it is soooooooooo worth my $900 and it's only less than 2 pucking years old.

my first ever laptop is a toshiba satellite with whooping 5g hard drive. the screen has been almost separated/falling out due to constant dropping it and i can still use it no problem.

Old 11-20-2012, 10:54 AM

3,631 posts, read 14,553,903 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffdano View Post
Thinkpads are built to a very high standard. The frame, the components, the connectors, etc. displays, etc are built for a demanding professional user. The frame for example in some models is magnesium. The new X1 is carbon fiber. Thinkpads are not bulky - instead they are light and rugged.

Just my opinion - but I would never buy a 17 inch laptop. They are thick heavy monsters. If you need a big display sometimes just use an external monitor. Instead buy a 15 inch with a high resolution display. 1600x900 for example instead of the standard 1366x768.
That makes sense. I asked about the lenovo and the glossy screen is areality. I have a 17 inch acer and it has been fine but you are right I can add an external monitor pretty cheaply. I just hate the fact Win 8 is being shoved down my throat. I understand "all things new" but I would really prefer win 7

Last edited by grannynancy; 11-20-2012 at 11:06 AM..

Old 11-20-2012, 12:59 PM

9,455 posts, read 12,546,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by angelinajolie View Post
Really HPs are dependable? not in my case. ever since i bought my HP craptop it has given me headache after headache. so i will recommend anything NOT HP. always liked ASUS for some reason especially with what u said that it has dedicated graphics card.

so my verdict:

buy anything NOT HP.
Sorry about your experience.

Me: Four HPs over 7 years with no problems. With that said I've heard a lot of good things about Leveno

Old 11-20-2012, 01:14 PM

16,548 posts, read 19,698,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post

However, ThinkPads aren't pretty. Plain, black, rugged look.
Technically the U400 is an IDEAPAD.
And it's not black. It seriously looks like a Mac Book.

Old 11-20-2012, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peregrine View Post
Technically the U400 is an IDEAPAD.
And it's not black. It seriously looks like a Mac Book.

Yea, that's what I said in my previous post. The IdeaPads have consumer styling. But they also have consumer build quality.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers