Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-26-2013, 09:01 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times

Advertisements

About two weeks ago, my account was hacked and emails were sent out to all kinds of addresses (some old ones from my address book and others unknown). It was a simple message that went out with a link for people to click on. Anyway, I changed my email password and I also restored my computer back to original factory settings... back to day 1. Before doing all that, I ran Malwarebytes, etc., and nothing showed up.

Would you have done things differently?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-26-2013, 11:49 AM

1,786 posts, read 6,900,343 times
I would not have bothered restoring your computer. All you really needed to do was change your password. Hopefully, you used a strong one this time.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:36 PM

26,143 posts, read 19,846,248 times
I got spam again 2 times yesterday from an email account on Yahoo..... I emailed them and asked them to PLEASE CHANGE THIER PASSWORD as it was compromised!!

Old 02-26-2013, 09:43 PM

14,520 posts, read 8,768,824 times
^^ But since the addresses have already been hacked, is it true that all the new password does is prevent the NEXT hack?

Isn't the base problem with Yahoo and Hotmail's flimsy security on the respective sites?

Old 02-26-2013, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
About two weeks ago, my account was hacked and emails were sent out to all kinds of addresses (some old ones from my address book and others unknown). It was a simple message that went out with a link for people to click on. Anyway, I changed my email password and I also restored my computer back to original factory settings... back to day 1. Before doing all that, I ran Malwarebytes, etc., and nothing showed up.

Would you have done things differently?
Yeah, I'd create a new account at Gmail, for instance, and then import all the contact and finally abandon the Yahoo account.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:10 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Macrina View Post
^^ But since the addresses have already been hacked, is it true that all the new password does is prevent the NEXT hack?

Isn't the base problem with Yahoo and Hotmail's flimsy security on the respective sites?
Depends on what they did with your address book. If they just sent spam from your account to your contacts, then changing the password ends that. If they downloaded your contacts to their server, then they'll continue to spam them. Of course everyone on your contact list already gets tons of spam so it won't matter.

As far as flimsy security, the weakest link is almost always the user's password. Most people pick really poor passwords.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Depends on what they did with your address book. If they just sent spam from your account to your contacts, then changing the password ends that. If they downloaded your contacts to their server, then they'll continue to spam them. Of course everyone on your contact list already gets tons of spam so it won't matter.

As far as flimsy security, the weakest link is almost always the user's password. Most people pick really poor passwords.
OK, please help me to understand this. . . didn't the hacker have to get past the security on the Yahoo page first? And if security had been good at that level, the hacker couldn't have gotten further?

Lol, it's true that I may have 'no idea' about this stuff, but at least I'm trying to learn

Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 PM

Quote:
OK, please help me to understand this. . . didn't the hacker have to get past the security on the Yahoo page first? And if security had been good at that level, the hacker couldn't have gotten further?

Lol, it's true that I may have 'no idea' about this stuff, but at least I'm trying to learn
Yahoo asks for your username and password. Anyone who has that, gets in. That's how webmail works.

Old 02-27-2013, 12:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Yahoo asks for your username and password. Anyone who has that, gets in. That's how webmail works.
And the Hacker, to get Yahoo's database of 500 bazillion usernames & passwords, had to have first hacked through Yahoo's security, right?

Old 02-27-2013, 12:17 AM

Quote:
And the Hacker, to get Yahoo's database of 500 bazillion usernames & passwords, had to have first hacked through Yahoo's security, right?
Who said anything about getting Yahoo's database?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers