Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2013, 07:39 PM

13,056 posts, read 18,121,249 times

Advertisements

I have a 10 month old Hp pavillion desktop and it is giving me nothing but trouble. According to Norton it is fine but I am getting all kinds of error messages. When I type in the search bar the first time it comes up as usual, the next tab I click on, I type in the address bar and hit enter, then I have to go down to the IE button on the lower left, click on that and then on the bottom to the right of the IE icon I can "see" the results of my address search from above but then I need to click on that to launch it!!! and I am ready to give it the heave ho. We are relocating and I am thinking that an all in one would really be better for my new home and I would get rid of the tower.

This is what I have and here are my questions:

OS Name Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium
Version 6.1.7601 Service Pack 1 Build 7601
Other OS Description Not Available
OS Manufacturer Microsoft Corporation
System Name
System Manufacturer Hewlett-Packard
System Model p7-1270t
System Type x64-based PC
Processor Intel(R) Core(TM) i3-2120 CPU @ 3.30GHz, 3300 Mhz, 2 Core(s), 4 Logical Processor(s)
Installed Physical Memory (RAM) 6.00 GB
Total Physical Memory 5.91 GB
Available Physical Memory 3.67 GB
Total Virtual Memory 11.8 GB
Available Virtual Memory 9.34 GB
Page File Space 5.91 GB

I surf, email, occasional letter writing on Home and office 2007. Maybe edit a photo here and there on photo gallery. I do not game, watch movies, tv, listen to music or anything on the computer other than what I have described. I do use it to download from itunes but even that is minimal.

I am not looking to spend another thousand dollars so what do you suggest in terms of an all in one. I do not want a touch screen.

Also, I am not really a techie, so is the PC mover program worth while or should I just back it all up on Norton? Anyone know if they will help put it back on the new computer? Last question, I usually open the HD and pull out the actual disc and then destroy the disk. I am in a pinch for time so what do you suggest I do to delete all my info off the tower, once I get an all in one.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2013, 10:26 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Remove Norton, try Chrome or Firefox, and see how many of your problems persist. I see no reason to replace a 10 month old PC unless it has hardware problems, then I'd file a warranty claim.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:05 AM

10,926 posts, read 22,000,411 times
Norton doesn't have the ability to determine if your computer is "fine" or not. Being 10 months old I wouldn't recommend getting rid of it either. Your issues sound more like software problems than hardware, and the easiest way for a non techie to fix them is running the HP recovery and put it back to out of the box condition. You issues may be as simple as a corrupt add on in Internet Explorer. Go to control panel, internet options, click the advanced tab at the top, click the reset button at the bottom, making sure to check the box to delete personal settings on the next page before clicking reset again.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:26 AM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Suggestion

1. Your hardware is fine. You have a software problem as NHDave wrote.

2. I would buy an external disk (such as Seagate Expansion STBX1000101 External Hard Drive - Newegg.com) and backup ALL your data (documents, photos, etc)

3. I would buy Windows 7 (Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com) and install it after reformatting the internal drive. I know that you already own Win 7, but your HP recovery will bring back all the crapware that came with your machine.

4. I would set the Windows 7 firewall to the highest, most restrictive, safest setting.

Total cost is $200 which is way less than a new computer.

(The Apple fanboy in me does say that you can get a very nice iMac and the Apple Store will transfer all your data. But the cost is over $1K.)

Old 03-03-2013, 08:52 AM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebarnes View Post
3. I would buy Windows 7 (Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 64-bit - Newegg.com) and install it after reformatting the internal drive. I know that you already own Win 7, but your HP recovery will bring back all the crapware that came with your machine.
It may be possible to get rid of the HP crapware without resorting to purchasing a OEM Disk.

When I bought my wife's HP laptop there was an option in the recovery options to do a "minimal install" or something similar to that. It basically reinstalled without any bundled software (other than the HP utility software).

Old 03-03-2013, 07:55 PM

17,710 posts, read 29,829,274 times
Default Trust, but verify

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skunk Workz View Post
It may be possible to get rid of the HP crapware without resorting to purchasing a OEM Disk.
I, personally, would spend the $100 as I don't trust HP.
On the other hand, I built my last 2 Windows computers.
Now, I buy what Tim tells me to buy. Much easier on the brain.

Old 03-03-2013, 08:03 PM

3,549 posts, read 6,665,567 times
Quote:
I, personally, would spend the $100 as I don't trust HP.
On the other hand, I built my last 2 Windows computers.
Now, I buy what Tim tells me to buy. Much easier on the brain.
I've built enough machines at this point that doing it's mundane. I feel very confident that the clean install is indeed clean (other than the HP support software, which was easy enough to remove.)

Old 03-04-2013, 07:22 AM

16,551 posts, read 19,703,819 times
Not to even mention a decent AIO is $700...

Old 03-04-2013, 07:30 AM

16,675 posts, read 15,676,579 times
Quote:
1. Your hardware is fine. You have a software problem as NHDave wrote.

2. I would buy an external disk (such as Seagate Expansion STBX1000101 External Hard Drive - Newegg.com) and backup ALL your data (documents, photos, etc)

4. I would set the Windows 7 firewall to the highest, most restrictive, safest setting.

Total cost is $200 which is way less than a new computer.

(The Apple fanboy in me does say that you can get a very nice iMac and the Apple Store will transfer all your data. But the cost is over $1K.)

That a lot of overkill. Instead of buying Windows 7, restore the PC to factory fresh, then download and run PC Decrapifier. Then come back here and ask for help with any remaining issues.

Old 03-04-2013, 07:48 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,342,582 times
If you don't have too much personal data, documents, photos, etc., back it up on a usb flash drive. That's what I do.

I would do the system restore from the hard drive partition.... no disc needed. I just got through doing it on my desktop recently.... piece of cake.

As far as bloat ware that comes with it, I go to Start>Control Panel>Programs>Uninstall a program ....... there I uninstall all the HP programs that come with it.... vary easy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers