Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-03-2013, 11:08 PM

124 posts, read 186,352 times

Advertisements

I just bought a new HP Pavilion g6 laptop computer, and Windows 8 came with it. Can anybody tell me how to stop different windows from popping in and out at me whenever I move the arrow cursor more than 1/8 of an inch? I thought at first it was the computer's settings, and changed the sensitivity of the mouse and the cursor, but this seems to be a trait of Windows 8 itself. Even when I try to work from the homepage, moving the cursor even slightly often causes open windows to randomly pop in and out at me.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-04-2013, 12:15 AM

11,715 posts, read 40,451,929 times
I've used a bunch of Win8 machines that that's not a "trait of Windows 8 itself". It sounds like there's either a problem with the touchpad or you're hitting things or making gestures without knowing. Disable the touchpad, plug in a mouse, and see what happens.

Old 05-05-2013, 07:45 AM

8,402 posts, read 24,229,302 times
Within ten minutes of my first Win8 experience I was ready to throw the laptop across the room. Then I discovered that there are numerous functions on the mousepad that weren't on XP. Moving near the edges of the pad can make all sorts of things pop up on the screen. Stay towards the middle of the pad, or use an external mouse, until you learn about these "improvements" in Win8.

Old 05-05-2013, 08:00 AM

1,322 posts, read 3,474,480 times
I have Win8 on my PC for a few months now. I still find when I want to work faster and avoid those pop up issues I use a mouse. It is maddening to get into a good pace and accidently sweet your fingers across the touch pad and the screen goes into a different mode. Actually, I am not a great fan of touchpads in general. I think I am just sloppy and my fingers graze the pad just enough to start up something on the windows. My Pc does not have an adjustment for sensitivity for the touchpad but check your settings - you may have one.

Old 05-05-2013, 10:19 AM

23,861 posts, read 24,111,507 times
Install Classic Shell and be happy.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:37 PM

21,882 posts, read 25,146,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vmaxnc View Post
Within ten minutes of my first Win8 experience I was ready to throw the laptop across the room. Then I discovered that there are numerous functions on the mousepad that weren't on XP. Moving near the edges of the pad can make all sorts of things pop up on the screen. Stay towards the middle of the pad, or use an external mouse, until you learn about these "improvements" in Win8.
Depending on the size of the laptop, may be easier said than done. Especially funny since Windows is really pushing on ultrabook/tablet convertible things (13") which mostly come with pretty small touch pads. I guess that's also why they're going to touch screen. Different era. I get annoyed when I have to touch a mouse to navigate through a program, so the idea of lifting my hand all the way up and smearing the screen with finger prints is rather annoying. Then again, I'm also a dinosaur that didn't jump on the touch screen only phone bandwagon until October of '11. I'm about as used to it as I'm going to get. On a phone it's really nice to have the larger screen and since I can always pull my laptop out if I want to send a longer email it isn't a huge issue, but it's definitely a compromise from the physical keyboard.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:41 PM

389 posts, read 1,219,187 times
I'm working from an "old fashioned" but new Windows 7 desktop right now and I like it just fine.

I also bought a new Windows 8 laptop "touchscreen" four months ago and it is unused. Windows 8 is the worst piece of software I have ever experienced. The laptop is essentially unused and a complete waste of my money. I'm going to "Upgrade" it to Windows 7 if I can find an original Windows 7 operating system.

It is so bad that a friend who works on computers (for years) tried out his mother's Windows 8 computer yesterday and smoke was coming out of his ears. I can't repeat what he actually said about it.

If Microsoft goes out of business because of this piece of junk they deserve to. Either that or they replace it with something useful. Windows 8 is trash.

Old 05-05-2013, 01:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malloric View Post
Depending on the size of the laptop, may be easier said than done. Especially funny since Windows is really pushing on ultrabook/tablet convertible things (13") which mostly come with pretty small touch pads. I guess that's also why they're going to touch screen. Different era. I get annoyed when I have to touch a mouse to navigate through a program, so the idea of lifting my hand all the way up and smearing the screen with finger prints is rather annoying. Then again, I'm also a dinosaur that didn't jump on the touch screen only phone bandwagon until October of '11. I'm about as used to it as I'm going to get. On a phone it's really nice to have the larger screen and since I can always pull my laptop out if I want to send a longer email it isn't a huge issue, but it's definitely a compromise from the physical keyboard.
Good point on the size of the touchpad. My XP laptop died 3 weeks ago so I've been trying out replacements. I had an entry level 15.6 Toshiba with the pebble finish touchpad. It was also my first W8 experience. I think that touchpad was damaged, because it would often freeze until I swiped across it hard, which brought the W8 screens into play. After a few days I was much better at it but I still told Best Buy that it may have a problem when I returned it. I'm using a stepup Samsung now and it's ten times better at everything than the lesser Toshiba was.

I was using a Razr until Nov '11, so don't feel bad.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmissourimule View Post
I'm working from an "old fashioned" but new Windows 7 desktop right now and I like it just fine.

I also bought a new Windows 8 laptop "touchscreen" four months ago and it is unused. Windows 8 is the worst piece of software I have ever experienced. The laptop is essentially unused and a complete waste of my money. I'm going to "Upgrade" it to Windows 7 if I can find an original Windows 7 operating system.

It is so bad that a friend who works on computers (for years) tried out his mother's Windows 8 computer yesterday and smoke was coming out of his ears. I can't repeat what he actually said about it.

If Microsoft goes out of business because of this piece of junk they deserve to. Either that or they replace it with something useful. Windows 8 is trash.
I was fine with XP but my laptop died and my PC is steadily grinding to a halt. The plan is to dump files from the PC to my new laptop, then wipe the PC. It's 13 years old and has had the same install for at least 5-6 years, so it's well overdue.

I also have no interest in a touchscreen computer.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:51 PM

24,488 posts, read 41,141,698 times
I've noticed that a lot of low-end laptops have small touchpads. For the gestures, you really need a touchpad that's 4+ inches (diagonally). Ideally, it should be a glass touchpad so it's smooth.

With smaller touchpads, it's easier to hit the edges unintentionally.

Old 05-05-2013, 06:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJBest View Post
I've noticed that a lot of low-end laptops have small touchpads. For the gestures, you really need a touchpad that's 4+ inches (diagonally). Ideally, it should be a glass touchpad so it's smooth.
I meant to mention that the touchpad on the Samsung I have now is much bigger than the one on the lower end Toshiba I had, and smooth. I haven't seen a glass touchpad. Who offers that?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers