Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:30 PM

28,803 posts, read 47,705,555 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rubi3 View Post
I bought Malwarebytes when it was mentioned here at C-D being on sale at NewEgg. Unfortunately, whatever, took over my pc would not allow Malwarebytes to run. The tech at Malwarebytes was very generous with trying to figure out how to get it installed, but, nothing tried would work, so, I put it on the new pc and it installed perfectly.

I have the original XP CD and also the motherboard CD. I've not discarded any of it.

For now, I'd best stop. I am no longer well and will have to postpone any more effort. Thanks so much
When you get to feeling better... Did the tech have you try running it when Windows is in Safe Mode?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 04:55 PM

7,776 posts, read 12,445,216 times
Tek_Freek, I tried and tried getting it to go into safe mode, but, could not get it to. Only once, when trying to get it to Restore to an earlier time would it go into safe mode, but, even then it wouldn't restore. I don't think anyone could think up something to do that hasn't been tried, but, would not do. People seem to think if they didn't do a procedure, it wasn't done

What I'm thinking about doing is buy an external harddrive, copy everything I want to keep onto it and then erase the rest and install WinXP again. Would that work? The Malwarebytes tech finally said the ONLY way Malwarebytes would not install is if it was not a new product. I knew it WAS new, which was shown when it immediately installed in my new machine. I realized he thought I didn't know what I was talking about...

Old 07-19-2013, 06:19 PM

Have you run scandisk and chkdisk at startup?

You set them to run by going to My Computer/drive c:/[right click]/Properties/Tools tab/Check Now/Check both boxes/Click Start

It will tell you they will run the next time you start the computer

Restart and be patient.

Old 07-19-2013, 06:23 PM

The danger of copying everything to an external drive is that if there are corrupt (read malware, etc) files the corruption goes with them. So if you do this scan the drive before you copy the files back. Use Malwarebytes, AV, etc. I think there a number of posters here that also recommend Superantispyware.

Old 07-19-2013, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tek_Freek View Post
The danger of copying everything to an external drive is that if there are corrupt (read malware, etc) files the corruption goes with them. So if you do this scan the drive before you copy the files back. Use Malwarebytes, AV, etc. I think there a number of posters here that also recommend Superantispyware.
Thanks so much! I'd forgotten that might happen. I'm sure it will, so, I won't be doing it. No, AVG will no longer work properly, nor will any of the other spyware. I'll try the other you mention tomorrow.

Old 07-19-2013, 10:10 PM

I meant after you restore to the original XP. Get your AV and malware progs installed and then plug in the external drive.

First thing after that is to start scanning.

Old 07-21-2013, 08:48 AM

Tek, this morning I ran those files including CHKDSK. I'm hoping you know where to look at them.

Old 07-22-2013, 08:35 AM

I don't understand the reference. There are no files to look at when you run chkdsk and scandisk. They do give a report at the end of their run, but it clears when you press the enter key at the end of it.

Edit: It's been a while.

Look at winlogon. Winlogon shows up in the Application section of the event viewer. Start -> Run -> type "eventvwr.msc" (no quotes) -> ENTER. Click on Application and select the most recent winlogon entry.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Science and Technology > Computers